Help Needed! - GPU/Case Fan mod - 3pin GPU fan Header

TheProfosist
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

I recently bought the Gigabyte 970 ITX to put into Chibi PC. its already and improvement in every way over the MSI 760 ITX that was in there. While installing it an idea struck me. Remove the fan and use a case fan too cool it instead of the method already implemented in Chibi PC http://goo.gl/O5ieFG . I have already bought the fan, a Noctua NF-F12 Industrial IP67 2000rom PWM fan, but I need a way to connect it to the GPU. The GPU uses a less standard 3 pin header to control the fan (pictured below). I need either a cable to go from that to a fan connector or just something cheap that I can cut the cable off of and wire up my self. I though I would put this out and see if anyone had seen anything anywhere as my initial searches have had no results.

-PICS-

*The pictures were grabbed from newegg because I didnt have to pull the card out of my system then.

You can just cut off the GPU fan 3pin and solder it via 3 pin into the new Nocuta fan or get an adapter such as this:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/3%252dPin-to-3%252dPin-Mini-Fan-Adapter-Cable.html

I recently bought the Gigabyte 970 ITX to put into Chibi PC. its already and improvement in every way over the MSI 760 ITX that was in there. While installing it an idea struck me. Remove the fan and use a case fan too cool it instead of the method already implemented in Chibi PC http://goo.gl/O5ieFG . I have already bought the fan, a Noctua NF-F12 Industrial IP67 2000rom PWM fan, but I need a way to connect it to the GPU. The GPU uses a less standard 3 pin header to control the fan (pictured below). I need either a cable to go from that to a fan connector or just something cheap that I can cut the cable off of and wire up my self. I though I would put this out and see if anyone had seen anything anywhere as my initial searches have had no results.

ChibiPC16-970ITX3pinGPUFan1.png

ChibiPC16-970ITX3pinGPUFan2.png

ChibiPC16-970ITX3pinGPUFan3.png

*The pictures were grabbed from newegg because I didnt have to pull the card out of my system then.

To remove the fan you need to disconnect it. To disconnect it you need to remove the heat sink. If you don't have problems with this, the fan near the GPU isn't loud and filtered, yeah, go for it ;)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

just desolder it and put in a normal keyed 3 pin or even just header pins, another option would solder the fan directly to the board

or find something with that cut the end off and replace the end on the new fan

Its a 3-pin JST connector, although I'm not entirely positive what series it is... I THINK it is a JST-XH.

The way to tell is measure the distance between pins.

JST-SH is 1mm

JST-ZH is 1.5mm

JST-XH is 2.5mm

There are about 3.14159 million other JST connectors, but those are the common ones. Its actually a lot more standard than a typical PC header, just not in the PC world.  ;)

You should be able to easily find a pigtail on eBay. Or look on Mouser/Digikey/etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Products-3-JST-PH-130-X-UMX-2S-JST-XH-Battery-Adapters-1550-/321232373234?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acaf105f2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-XH-2S-7-4V-3-Pin-Lipo-Balance-Plug-w-8CM-wire-/330569410774?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf778e8d6

-PICS-

You can just cut off the GPU fan 3pin and solder it via 3 pin into the new Nocuta fan or get an adapter such as this:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/3%252dPin-to-3%252dPin-Mini-Fan-Adapter-Cable.html

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll read through and respond more once I'm off work. One key thing though is that I don't want to modify the card at all so I don't void the warranty, so no cutting up the wire on the fan it come with, etc.

O.o Dude I think that's the exact wire I need!!!

O.o Dude I think that's the exact wire I need!!!

Just as an alternative if you want to do it DIY by cutting and solder the wires accordingly to 3 pin to the fan, but this will be able to let you keep everything unaltered so you can revert it all back fairly quick and easily if wanted.

Just as an alternative if you want to do it DIY by cutting and solder the wires accordingly to 3 pin to the fan, but this will be able to let you keep everything unaltered so you can revert it all back fairly quick and easily if wanted.

I can easily solder one but I needed to find somewhere to get that 3 pin connector from so that I could make up my own adapter. This solves that entirely. Most mods I do that are within the warranty period I like to make it so I can revert it back and not void the warranty. A good example would be the other gpu fan mod that I did.

Also thank you to Noctua for making such nice fans that use such a low amperage.

older PSU fans also had the 3-pin mini header. i tossed about 15 PSU/PSU fans

into the trash 2 months ago with that 3-pin connection.

I just put two of those on order since shipping was $10 I though it would be nice to have an extra around since im sure ill encounter it again at some point.

older PSU fans also had the 3-pin mini header. i tossed about 15 PSU/PSU fans

into the trash 2 months ago with that 3-pin connection.

oh interesting, thats nice to know!

Thanks for getting back to me so soon guys. I knew someone would have seen it before and know were to buy it or pull it from. Ill now be able to continue the plan to simplify yet increase the cooling on the Gigabyte 970 ITX in my Chibi PC ITX build.

i still have to wonder why they went with the 3 pin and not the 4pin, or even the 2 pin.

i still have to wonder why they went with the 3 pin and not the 4pin, or even the 2 pin.

I get why they wouldn't do 4 pin as PWM does cost quite a bit more, but I never have understood 2 pin vs 3 pin. The third wire is for voltage control, but I don't see why you can't just do your positive and return and then have the voltage control on the board. I think (just a guess here) that having the third wire means you can have a lower spin-up RPM. The 2 wire fans I have messed with will not even spin at 9V, but it could have just been because they were cheaper low quality fans.

I get why they wouldn't do 4 pin as PWM does cost quite a bit more, but I never have understood 2 pin vs 3 pin. The third wire is for voltage control, but I don't see why you can't just do your positive and return and then have the voltage control on the board. I think (just a guess here) that having the third wire means you can have a lower spin-up RPM. The 2 wire fans I have messed with will not even spin at 9V, but it could have just been because they were cheaper low quality fans.

3 pin and 2 pin are the same the only thing 2 pin lacks is the RPM signal wire so software cannot monitor the RPM of the fan, either 2 pins and 3 pins can be voltage controlled but if you know the characteristics of the fan you can determine the RPM of a fan via the voltage also. For spin up RPM there are fans that ill need a 5V starting voltage but can idle at around 3-4V whereby some motherboards will turn fans on at 12V for a few seconds before going into the set speeds and curves.