Rumour: Samsung Galaxy S5 To Have Aluminium Body

Artorias

Author: Ryan Martin (eTeknix)

Samsung’s Galaxy S4 smartphone is Samsung’s flagship phone and it costs an arm and a leg. Yet despite this it still features an entirely cheap feeling plastic body while competing smartphone vendors like HTC have already adopted a more premium aluminium unibody for its high-end smartphones which has very much been welcomed by customers.

Now according to some fresh rumours from Android Geeks Samsung is reportedly preparing a new design philosophy for the Samsung Galaxy S5. This will see it consider the adoption of a metal casing for its high end smartphones.  The Samsung Galaxy S5 will be the first Samsung smartphone to have this new feature.

While this is only a rumour and should be taken as such, it would still be something pretty cool to see. When you are spending around $700/£550 for a top-of-the-line smartphone you’d like to know it is being built from the best materials around and plastic certainly doesn’t fill you with joy. It will be interesting to see whether Samsung opt for aluminium or if they opt for a more advanced hybrid of other metals to give the new Galaxy S5 some interesting properties.

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/rumour-samsung-galaxy-s5-to-have-aluminium-body/

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

A rumor this close to when the phone came out. I doubt its true.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Unibody designs are so wasteful, I'd prefer to see a segmented metal design unlike the HTC One (which is very likely since Samsung has a history of offering removable back panels for batteries, etc.)

A rumor this close to when the phone came out. I doubt its true.

It's one of the few disadvantages of the S4, I don't see how it would be unlikely to be true.

Unibody designs are so wasteful, I'd prefer to see a segmented metal design unlike the HTC One (which is very likely since Samsung has a history of offering removable back panels for batteries, etc.)

The Chinese version of the HTC One (w/ the removable back and dual SIM cards) looks amazing. If only they sold that version everywhere...

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I had the original Samsung Wave, which used Bada OS which was kinda crappy. But I still loved that done until today. I replaced it now with an S3. But the Wave was made out of aluminum and looked really sleek. Wasn't too big either. It cost me 320 Euro on Pixmania and was brand new at the time. I really don't understand how samsung stuck to making plastic phones as their flagship phone when a midrange phone was made out of solid aluminum and just felt great to hold.

GG samsung if it's true although it's probably gonna add up in the price.

Sounds very nice but personally not having used a metal encased phone before, doesn't it get hot?

Sure looks very very nice though!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

The Chinese version of the HTC One (w/ the removable back and dual SIM cards) looks amazing. If only they sold that version everywhere...

Apparently they managed that because the chips they used for the bands over there took up less room. Oh well. :(

Sounds very nice but personally not having used a metal encased phone before, doesn't it get hot?

Sure looks very very nice though!

It can, yes. Same as metal laptops, like Macbook Pros.

Btw Metal body = no wireless qi charging. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

I thought it was going to be "Liquid Metal" as they call it, if that's aluminum, then good show samsung, although a lot of phones have had aluminum bodies before, so nothing all that special.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.