Motherboard Life Span

Hi,

Does Asus motherboard have long life span, especially the Asus Z87-K?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

Its very rare for motherboards to go wrong, they generally last pretty much forever

especially good brands like Asus!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Motherboard lifespan isn't consistent. Sometimes it can go up to 7-10 years or even more than that and sometimes only 3-5 years. ASUS is well known to be a very good manufacturer of mobos. It would probably last longer than 4-5 years(you can't actually state the exact lifespan of a mobo).

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Mother boards will almost never brake (Unless you use force on them). By the time your motherboard is going to break it's going to be out-dated and you going to need to upgrade.

Life would be tragic if it were not funny 

- Stephan Hawking (lawrd and Savior)

Hi,

Thanks

It really depends in the environment that you are running your PC in and if you are overclocking any(and how hard you are pushing your PC). If your environment isn't as hot as the sun and you aren't overclocking then it should last a really long time, like 10+ years. If you are overclocking(and lets assume a mid to heavy overclock on a i7) Then you will get 5 years easily, but it might loose stability after that. If you are in a hot environment and doing that same overclock(with a heavy workload), then 3 years. A hot environment with no overclock will get you 8 years roughly.

Pretty much, as long as you don't abuse it, it will last longer than you want it to.

Mother boards will almost never brake (Unless you use force on them). By the time your motherboard is going to break it's going to be out-dated and you going to need to upgrade.

BS, motherboards are, apart from fans and mechanical hard drives, the most likely component in a PC to break first.

It's just that when motherboards 'break', it's usually just part of it, like the thermal monitoring or a fan header - and the rest of the board will still function. But sometimes something more essential will die like a PCIe slot or a USB controller. Or if you bought the cheapest POS mobo you could find it'll be the VRM and it'll be within 5000 hours or so.

Motherboards are along with graphics cards and power supplies the components in a computer build to receive the most benefit in longevity from investing more rather than buying a budget SKU. This is because they all have caps which are often skimped on with budget SKUs, this is pretty much a ticking time bomb no matter how positive reviews and feedback may be.*

In comparison, mechanical hard drives, and fans have a pre set life span almost no matter how much you spend, the diminishing return on investing more on such things is extremely sharp.

*There are exceptions, like the ASUS Strix graphics card which has an attractive budget price point despite having high quality power delivery componentry.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Their lifespans also depend on how you maintain it.

Keep it clean.

If you overclock with it, have a good cooling solution. Keep it cool.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

BS, motherboards are, apart from fans and mechanical hard drives, the most likely component in a PC to break first.

It's just that when motherboards 'break', it's usually just part of it, like the thermal monitoring or a fan header - and the rest of the board will still function. But sometimes something more essential will die like a PCIe slot or a USB controller. Or if you bought the cheapest POS mobo you could find it'll be the VRM and it'll be within 5000 hours or so.

Motherboards are along with graphics cards and power supplies the components in a computer build to receive the most benefit in longevity from investing more rather than buying a budget SKU. This is because they all have caps which are often skimped on with budget SKUs, this is pretty much a ticking time bomb no matter how positive reviews and feedback may be.*

In comparison, mechanical hard drives, and fans have a pre set life span almost no matter how much you spend, the diminishing return on investing more on such things is extremely sharp.

*There are exceptions, like the ASUS Strix graphics card which has an attractive budget price point despite having high quality power delivery componentry.

Their lifespans also depend on how you maintain it.

Keep it clean.

If you overclock with it, have a good cooling solution. Keep it cool.

It really depends in the environment that you are running your PC in and if you are overclocking any(and how hard you are pushing your PC). If your environment isn't as hot as the sun and you aren't overclocking then it should last a really long time, like 10+ years. If you are overclocking(and lets assume a mid to heavy overclock on a i7) Then you will get 5 years easily, but it might loose stability after that. If you are in a hot environment and doing that same overclock(with a heavy workload), then 3 years. A hot environment with no overclock will get you 8 years roughly.

Pretty much, as long as you don't abuse it, it will last longer than you want it to.

As you can see* on the Asus Z87-k the capacitors are next to the heat sink. Will the heat that will be spread affect the capacitors??

*http://www.asus.com/...s/Z87K/gallery/

As you can see* on the Asus Z87-k the capacitors are next to the heat sink. Will the heat that will be spread affect the capacitors??

*http://www.asus.com/...s/Z87K/gallery/

Nope, the capacitors used are built to withstand heat, so even if your PC is running hot it shouldn't cut the life down by much. Asus(and everybody else) has been designing these things for 15+ years, so they know how to work around these types of things.