NAS - is this the right hardware?

Knonf

Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a NAS for general data storage and video streaming (transcoding). Hopefully you guys can help me to choose the right hardware. I have already picked some components but I'm not sure, if they are perfect for a NAS.

I didn't selected ecc hardware. Could it be a problem ?

CASE

Fractal Design Node 304

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI

I know that it has wifi and Bluetooth and that I won't need those things in a server. But it is the cheapest mini itx board with 6 SATA 6Gb/s ports that I could find. (I want to be able to upgrade the system with more HDDs in the future)

Power supply

be quiet! System Power 7 300W

CPU

Intel Core i3-4160T, 2x 3.10GHz

RAM

G.Skill Value DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR3-1333, CL9-9-9-24

HDDs

2 WD Red 3TB

+ a usb 2.0 stick for the os

OS

Free NAS

Are you ever planning to expand beyond the 2 HDDs in your NAS?  If not, are you going to mirror them or just roll the dice on availability with your data?  For this small (capacity) of a NAS I don't think ECC memory is worth it.  Are you planning to use ZFS under FreeNAS? 

What about the SilverStone DS380B for a case?

I prefer HGST drives over WD but that could be its own debate.  I opted for the HGST 4TB NAS 7200 RPM drives in my current new NAS I built.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a NAS for general data storage and video streaming (transcoding). Hopefully you guys can help me to choose the right hardware. I have already picked some components but I'm not sure, if they are perfect for a NAS.

I didn't selected ecc hardware. Could it be a problem ?

CASE

Fractal Design Node 304

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI

I know that it has wifi and Bluetooth and that I won't need those things in a server. But it is the cheapest mini itx board with 6 SATA 6Gb/s ports that I could find. (I want to be able to upgrade the system with more HDDs in the future)

Power supply

be quiet! System Power 7 300W

CPU

Intel Core i3-4160T, 2x 3.10GHz

RAM

G.Skill Value DIMM Kit 8GB, DDR3-1333, CL9-9-9-24

HDDs

2 WD Red 3TB

+ a usb 2.0 stick for the os

OS

Free NAS

Hey chris3196,

The parts list looks good. The memory and the CPU should be enough to cover your needs. WD Red are great drives for NAS/RAID environments. How many drives are you planning on putting in the future (since you mentioned 6 SATA ports)? Also what type of RAID are you going for?

I would suggest switching the USB stick with a small SSD to handle your OS and have it plugged in internally to avoid accidentally removing the OS storage device. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Are you ever planning to expand beyond the 2 HDDs in your NAS? 

How many drives are you planning on putting in the future (since you mentioned 6 SATA ports)? Also what type of RAID are you going for?

For now I'm plannig to use 2 3TB HDDs in raid 1. But I will definitely add 2 to 4 drives when I need additional space.

Are you planning to use ZFS under FreeNAS? 

Yes.

What about the SilverStone DS380B for a case?

Its a nice case, but its too expensive for me.

For now I'm plannig to use 2 3TB HDDs in raid 1. But I will definitely add 2 to 4 drives when I need additional space.

Then you should be fine. Just make sure you configure your RAID setup as expandable, otherwise you would have to backup all data, configure new RAID array and then restore all data on it. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/