R9 290 Tri-x Overheating

Spartanorfs

Hello,

I've had an R9 290 tri-x by sapphire for some time now (3 months) and I notice that at high loads it might even reach 85 degrees Celsius, like when i'm playing Far Cry 4 on ultra at 1080p. Is this normal? Also, what can I do to reduce the temperature of the card and the case in general (apart from increasing the card's fan speeds). 

Thanks

I've had an R9 290 tri-x by sapphire for some time now (3 months) and I notice that at high loads it might even reach 85 degrees Celsius, like when i'm playing Far Cry 4 on ultra at 1080p. Is this normal? Also, what can I do to reduce the temperature of the card and the case in general (apart from increasing the card's fan speeds). 

This is likely due to the airflow in your case, as I have a Tri-X 290X (more heat then 290) and it doe not reach more then low 70s under load.

"Rawr XD"

Yea sounds like you should take a look at how the air is moving in your pc,
If it is moving that is ^^

Redliquid~

There may be a lack of air flow in your case but the R9 290 and 290x are cards that are known to run at very hot tempetures. If it begins to go above 90C I would begin to get worried.

I'd say most aftermarket cards keep them around 70-85*c.

Myself with 72*c max steady after an hours gaming.

Higher than that and airflow should be managed better or move the case somewhere cooler.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Are all three fans spinning still? Checked the fan curve? You've not accidentally set it so it's always at 20%? :P

85 degrees is really high for a Tri-x.

Are all three fans spinning still? Checked the fan curve? You've not accidentally set it so it's always at 20%? :P

85 degrees is really high for a Tri-x.

Well at what speed should I set it? When I game I sometimes set it to 40% and then I put my hand over my computer and hot air is coming outside. Temperature of gpu still remains high.

Well at what speed should I set it? When I game I sometimes set it to 40% and then I put my hand over my computer and hot air is coming outside. Temperature of gpu still remains high.

Try 60% and tell us what the temps are then?

Here is my curve for my Triple fanned 290.

1t6icm.jpg

Living in South Australia and getting warmer as time goes on I'm usually about 70-72*c under extensive Gaming GPU load., maybe a little more on hotter days.

A bit more of an aggressive fan profile than other people use, anything past 62-70% fan speed and (dependent of model) you'll no doubt start to hear it, but lower temps + headphones = less of an issue for me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

For the record, soon I intend on getting a 2560x1440p monitor. Now, seeing the temperatures on 1080p, what would happen at 1440p? In addition, would liquid cooling solve the issue, as in would it manage to keep temperatures much lower?

For the record, soon I intend on getting a 2560x1440p monitor. Now, seeing the temperatures on 1080p, what would happen at 1440p? In addition, would liquid cooling solve the issue, as in would it manage to keep temperatures much lower?

You can buy a gtx 980, if you are planning to spend this much money... does the same thing, you have a cool card and a more powerful card too.

But I think the picture I made, can show you how to lower temperatures.

1440p is not raising up the temperature much, depends on gpu usage, I think it´ll be around 85

I just played Far Cry 4 at 40% GPU fan speed, the average was 80-85 degrees Celsius.

I just played Far Cry 4 at 40% GPU fan speed, the average was 80-85 degrees Celsius.

I meant the gpu utilization, but fans spinning @ 40%? this is low?? Maybe you want to "correct" with Msi afterburner as recommended before...