Why is console gaming even a thing?

orangecat

Think about it why buy a 500$+ console when you can buy a 300$ GPU and play the latest games in whatever resolution you want. Your games will last longer to because when a console gets replaced almost none of the games make it to the next gen system. You can still play your PC games 20 years from now if you really wanted to. I just don't see the point in console gaming at all when all you have to do if give the gamers some very basic education on PC hardware and they should be able to pick the basics of a gaming PC.

EDIT: Why are people rating this post 1 and 2 stars?

It's easier and people are too stupid and think that computers are too hard even tho it's real basic.

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Ease of use. some people just want a device that works when they need it to without any problems, that's what consoles are for.

Think about it why buy a 500$+ console when you can buy a 300$ GPU and play the latest games in whatever resolution you want. Your games will last longer to because when a console gets replaced almost none of the games make it to the next gen system. You can still play your PC games 20 years from now if you really wanted to. I just don't see the point in console gaming at all when all you have to do if give the gamers some very basic education on PC hardware and they should be able to pick the basics of a gaming PC.

Well, the only point for console gaming to me is JRPG's in which the PC gaming industry is extremely lacking. If I want FPS Games nothing could ever beat a keyboard & mouse combo.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

It's a thing because:

1. People generally want to spend the least on gaming.

2. Because of reason 1, maybe of their friends are on console. It took my friends a good 3 years before I could play with them on steam.

3. If you had a chance to build a car vs buying a car which would you pick? Some people don't wanna bother with the building a computer.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

because it is much cheaper and many does prefer the hand controls instead of mice and keyboard because you can sit on the couch and play with out needing a table also you can play 4 people on one console beeing much better for playing with friends at your place without them having to bring computers

i would say because out of habit. back in the day you could get a PS1 for 300$ and a gaming pc for 2-3k$. And your pc was hoplessely outdated in a year. consoles made a lot of sense than...but today not so much.

Because it's basic and easy for little kids to enjoy.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

it's just people playing it safe. I'd say most people that really play consoles are 12 year olds playing CoD. To them it's just "Wow look at this new thing! Microsoft said it was the best to it must be!".

Most of them probably don't understand that you can game on a pc. They must think it's just for facebook and youtube and all that jazz.

hello

Some people don't care enough about hardware specs to do research on what CPU, GPU, mobo, RAM, HDD, case, PSU, keyboard, mouse and monitor that they need.. It's a lot easier to get one pre-built box that comes with everything and plug one connector into a TV.. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I believe back in the days of Nintendo and SEGA, they made consoles because owning a computer was way more expensive than it is now. So these companies decided to make something affordable so people without the money to buy a computer could play games. But fast forward to now. Consoles should be obsolete. And I think that is what's going to happen.

Well, back in the day (70's-80's), I believe computers were relatively expensive. 

But this goes into (and imo is trying to provoke) whole PC VS Console thing.

Honestly, price-wise, consoles are hard to beat for gaming. I've explained this before, but I'll summarize it in a simple question to prove a point:

Build me a computer that has the graphical power of a PS4 (from what we've seen at least, assuming 1080p @ 60 FPS with Medium details) for ONLY $400.

Build me a computer that has the graphical power of a PS3 (Last of Us looks AMAZING for a console game) for ONLY $200.

^ My point: You can't.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The problem now is in my school I was the first to build a gaming pc. Now everybody is trying to build there own gaming pc's because they've seen mine when they don't have a clue how. So there just ruining good components. But they wont listen to you, they are so damn sure that they are doing it right. 

hello

Because people are special idiots.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

it's sad how many people say gaming on a pc is hard....since Windows XP or Vista everybody can handle a pc. Consoles with updates and installation on hard drives are more and more just a pc.

And today nothing is cheaper than gaming on a pc! if you really want to play more than 2 games a year. It would be so cool if all games would be developed for the PC! I want to play final fantasy RPGs on the pc, or MGS...

simplicity.... no driver updates, no install(execpt xbone), games will run no mater what, and its cheaper initial cost(system) and maintnece free

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

because it is much cheaper and many does prefer the hand controls instead of mice and keyboard because you can sit on the couch and play with out needing a table also you can play 4 people on one console beeing much better for playing with friends at your place without them having to bring computers

You can actually run multiple gaming users from a single PC without much of a performance hit - especially if you're all running the same game in a LAN environment. There are virtualisation programs designed for terminal servers which allow you to do it - although it's not as easy as splitscreen on a console I'll grant you :P

And today nothing is cheaper than gaming on a pc! if you really want to play more than 2 games a year. It would be so cool if all games would be developed for the PC! I want to play final fantasy RPGs on the pc, or MGS...

Exactly, this is my only reason why I have a console. If they bring JRPG's into the PC gaming industry. I would be happy to use my console as a media player.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

it's sad how many people say gaming on a pc is hard....since Windows XP or Vista everybody can handle a pc. Consoles with updates and installation on hard drives are more and more just a pc.

FFXIV ARR is on PC. Metal Gear Solid V will be on PC. Your wish is granted @Artorias Although I wish there were so many more than this.

I get 24 games per year with PS+ for free (or $50 depending on how you want to look at it, I consider that my "play online with infinite cloud storage" cost). Your move.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, back in the day (70's-80's), I believe computers were relatively expensive. 

But this goes into (and imo is trying to provoke) whole PC VS Console thing.

Honestly, price-wise, consoles are hard to beat for gaming. I've explained this before, but I'll summarize it in a simple question to prove a point:

Build me a computer that has the graphical power of a PS4 (from what we've seen at least, assuming 1080p @ 60 FPS with Medium details) for ONLY $400.

Build me a computer that has the graphical power of a PS3 (Last of Us looks AMAZING for a console game) for ONLY $200.

^ My point: You can't.

In the UK, the PS4 costs a good £400 (looking more like £425 atm) and is therefore easy to beat on price with something like an APU + crossfire system. The PS3 is hard to beat though.

because not everyone understands PC
seriously is it that hard to accept that there will always be dumb people?

1. They are cheaper

2. They are easy to use

3. There are a hell of lot more games made for them

4. When they go wrong, 99% you just turn it off and back on and it works.

5. They are standardized therefore you get the same performance on every console

6. You put the game into the tray, close it and play it, no arsing about with drivers and setting.

7. People like to sit and play infront of a TV on a comfy couch

8. They are very popular and your friends have them and it is easy to play online with them.

need i go on???

It nothing to do with people being to stupid to play PC, so they play console, its got to do with the fact that most people can not be arsed with amount of hassle PC gaming is compared to console.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----