Strange momentary lagging of text editors

Val.J

I`m running a 3570k with 16gb of Kingston 1600hz ram on a P8-Z77- asus motherboard,, winndows 7. Every now and then, while i`m typing something, or doing something quite regular, the text editor i`m using would stop, kind of freeze for a couple of seconds, during which time i`m still typing(but nothing is showing up). When the freeze ends, the text editor would type in all the keystrokes i did while in the freeze. 
I used to get that iin the past with other pc`s, but never really figured out. The task manager doesn`t show any odd cpu activity. I do, however, have a really old sata 2 hardrive which is still working, but is making some odd noises and sometimes shuts down. I use it only for storage and rarely access it. Is it possible that it somehow affects the rest of the pc`s performace to the point where it freezes for seconds?

If anybody can help with any thoughts at all I would appreciate it sooooo much.
Cheers! :)

Like on a browser? Things like OpenOffice automatically save in between certain time frames.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

OpenOffice, Firefox, you name it. Doesn`t matter where i`m typing. However, both the OS and all the applications are on a SSD - even if it`s saving at the moment - it should be unnoticable...

What kind of security software you have running in the background, if any?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Make sure your drivers are all up to date, including video. Looks like explorer.exe is getting hung up on something. windows update wouldnt hurt either

A failing HDD can cause erratic behavior . Remove the drive from the SATA port and see if the lag goes away.

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..