Gtx 780 sli or gtx 970 sli?

i4nw

I have one gtx 780 already and i plan to upgrade to either 4k or 1440.So should i sell my 780 and go gtx 970 sli for the extra gb of vram or just buy another 780??I also only have a 750w power supply so idk if that would be enough for two 780s.

I'd rather have two 970s, but since you already have a 780 I wouldn't go through the trouble/money loss of selling it. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

750W is enough for two 780s.  The extra 1GB of VRAM is not really worth it in my opinion since you already have one 780 and the raw performance is not much different.  Just get a second 780.

^ i second this

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

it's 970 SLI, and he already owns one 780.

i know it was 970 sli I just had a typo, my bad, but 970s are inherently better so if you can afford it why not? and drivers for the future will be prioritised for the 970 over the 780 and to cap everything off there is more vram so it's a no brainer for me

i know it was 970 sli I just had a typo, my bad, but 970s are inherently better so if you can afford it why not? and drivers for the future will be prioritised for the 970 over the 780 and to cap everything off there is more vram so it's a no brainer for me

The 970s are going to be more money, he already has a 780 and all he has to do is get a second one.

"Rawr XD"

The 970s are going to be more money, he already has a 780 and all he has to do is get a second one.

as i said, if you can afford it 

as i said, if you can afford it 

Even if you have to money it doesnt mean you have to spend it.

I would personally buy a second hand gtx780 and have gtx780SLI for just 250/300 euro's.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

That's a terrible justification for buying something.  One of the worst there is actually.  The answer to "why not" is because it's a bad value.  You spend a lot and get very little in return.  Of course if it's not your money then it's easy to ignore value, but since he is spending his own money we should be considering value.  The difference in performance is nothing noteworthy, and while 4GB is bigger than 3GB, both are very healthy amounts of VRAM, and I don't see this difference coming in to play very often.  Lastly the difference in power consumption, those who think the difference in power consumption between a 970 and 780 will have a noticeable impact on electricity costs are fooling themselves unless they happen to live in an area with obscenely expensive electricity compared to everyone else.

You would be spending a lot to gain very little.  It's a bad value, unless DSR or MFAA happens to be extremely important (valuable) to him in which case that increases the value of the 970s.  But barring that, there will be no significant difference between two 970s and two 780s, so given the difference in cost I would advise getting a second 780.

That's a terrible justification for buying something.  One of the worst there is actually.  The answer to "why not" is because it's a bad value.  You spend a lot and get very little in return.  Of course if it's not your money then it's easy to ignore value, but since he is spending his own money we should be considering value.  The difference in performance is nothing noteworthy, and while 4GB is bigger than 3GB, both are very healthy amounts of VRAM, and I don't see this difference coming in to play very often.  Lastly the difference in power consumption, those who think the difference in power consumption between a 970 and 780 will have a noticeable impact on electricity costs are fooling themselves unless they happen to live in an area with obscenely expensive electricity compared to everyone else.

You would be spending a lot to gain very little.  It's a bad value, unless DSR or MFAA happens to be extremely important (valuable) to him in which case that increases the value of the 970s.  But barring that, there will be no significant difference between two 970s and two 780s, so given the difference in cost I would advise getting a second 780.

you are purely thinking in the present, the 970 is much better now and will be even better in the future and saves you having to upgrade for 2/3 years if you want to game at 4k where as if you want to game on at 4k with 780 sli one would be hard pushed to play that right now. You also wouldn't even be spending that much more right now, they are nearly the same price, the only money he would lose is the slight loss on selling the 780 and then buying a new 970. That is my reasoning