SSD and HDD management

slifer

So I'm going to be getting my ssd soon.. yay!! faster boot times :P

but i have a few questions..

how will it work when i download stuff? obviously there will be some files that i want to download to the hard drive and not the ssd. will windows 7 give me a choice to download it to either drive i pick? or will it download it to the downloads folder which would be in the ssd? is there a way to make it so that i can select where it downloads to?

also how will i flash the firmware on a intel 730 ssd? will i have to do it before the install or after i get windows on the drive?

Windows 7 does not control where you download stuff.  Software like browsers and download managers do.  All these software can be configured with a default download path~

Install the Intel SSD Toolbox.  You'll get the latest firmware from there.  Do it right after installing Windows so you don't waste time configuring your desktop and then finding out the SSD is having issues.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Depends on the program you're using. Everything is dictated by the program that's downloading something. The default option in say Firefox is Downloads, and that's how it is in most programs. In addition, Intel SSD Toolbox will be your methodology of updating the firmware in your 730 SSD. You can wait to install the firmware update(if available) or you can do it as soon as you plug it in.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Depends on the program you're using. Everything is dictated by the program that's downloading something. The default option in say Firefox is Downloads, and that's how it is in most programs. In addition, Intel SSD Toolbox will be your methodology of updating the firmware in your 730 SSD. You can wait to install the firmware update(if available) or you can do it as soon as you plug it in.

will the downloads be kept within the ssd if i download firefox on the ssd? will i be able to put it onto the hard drive? and for steam will it allow me the option to put games on the ssd and hdd? since theres some games that will barely benefit from an ssd or i rarely play

will the downloads be kept within the ssd if i download firefox on the ssd? will i be able to put it onto the hard drive? and for steam will it allow me the option to put games on the ssd and hdd? since theres some games that will barely benefit from an ssd or i rarely play

During the installation of Firefox, you may be given options to install Firefox onto another location.(Probably in Advanced) By default, it goes to your C drive, which I assume will be your SSD. Steam gives you the option of creating libraries on different drives(through folders). For example, I have a library on my SSD(Intel 520 SSD) and one on my 500GB WD Caviar Blue hard drive. If you need any help setting things up, you can private message me. I'll walk you through everything.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Here is the thing. You know your libraries, right? Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads - that stuff. Right click on that stuff and go to its properties, should resemble something like this:

fe2b6f6192f34aec32fa0ea1eb68f2b1.png

My system is pretty straight forward. I have a mass storage drive and things organized in folders. I go to properties, include a folder and then click set save location. The OS will save to what you specify to be the default. In this case, if I make a new document and save, the directory goes straight to my folder set up for documents on the HDD instead of the default location in the SSD. Think of it like a bridge. You click things as normal, but it's saving files to your HDD instead for files that do not need the extra speed of an ssd. For web browsing, you set up whatever you want the default downloads folder to be/save wherever you want as usual. This is just how I have my system set up. Hope this rambling helped some. :P

During the installation of Firefox, you may be given options to install Firefox onto another location.(Probably in Advanced) By default, it goes to your C drive, which I assume will be your SSD. Steam gives you the option of creating libraries on different drives(through folders). For example, I have a library on my SSD(Intel 520 SSD) and one on my 500GB WD Caviar Blue hard drive. If you need any help setting things up, you can private message me. I'll walk you through everything.

Here is the thing. You know your libraries, right? Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads - that stuff. Right click on that stuff and go to its properties, should resemble something like this:

fe2b6f6192f34aec32fa0ea1eb68f2b1.png

My system is pretty straight forward. I have a mass storage drive and things organized in folders. I go to properties, include a folder and then click set save location. The OS will save to what you specify to be the default. In this case, if I make a new document and save, the directory goes straight to my folder set up for documents on the HDD instead of the default location in the SSD. Think of it like a bridge. You click things as normal, but it's saving files to your HDD instead for files that do not need the extra speed of an ssd. For web browsing, you set up whatever you want the default downloads folder to be/save wherever you want as usual. This is just how I have my system set up. Hope this rambling helped some. :P

thanks for the help guys, hope this will make it easier for me, I'll either post back on private message someone if i need extra help once the ssd arrives. I'm so excited to recieve it :D :lol: :P

thanks for the help guys, hope this will make it easier for me, I'll either post back on private message someone if i need extra help once the ssd arrives. I'm so excited to recieve it :D :lol: :P

No probs. :)

I was confused when I first got an SSD back in 2011, but if I can help someone else out then good. Use that HDD for basic files and tell Windows to use those locations instead. For steam, you can set it up where games can be on both drives depending on priority. Hope you enjoy that extra boost in speed!

I don't think changing the libraries dictates where downloads go with your chosen browser, but it does help tidy up things.

Here's the setting in Chrome to change the location of the Downloads Folder. It's visible after clicking "Show Advanced Settings..."

post-18023-0-96626200-1417073627_thumb.p

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

No probs. :)

I was confused when I first got an SSD back in 2011, but if I can help someone else out then good. Use that HDD for basic files and tell Windows to use those locations instead. For steam, you can set it up where games can be on both drives depending on priority. Hope you enjoy that extra boost in speed!

yup I'm kinda overwhelmed at having this two drives system.. I've always used a primary drive for my systems, and having two is a big leap for me. Might look into adding a third drive (hard drive) for more storage in the future if needed. but thanks for the help! :D

I don't think changing the libraries dictates where downloads go with your chosen browser, but it does help tidy up things.

Here's the setting in Chrome to change the location of the Downloads Folder. It's visible after clicking "Show Advanced Settings..."

It's why I mentioned the browser stuff is a simple matter of choosing what you want as the default folder ect. ect. My libraries are changed for convenience since all I have to do is click on those and they jump straight to my HDD.

Edit: Hi WD affiliate, loving my Blue and am a WD user 4lyfe :P

yup I'm kinda overwhelmed at having this two drives system.. I've always used a primary drive for my systems, and having two is a big leap for me. Might look into adding a third drive (hard drive) for more storage in the future if needed. but thanks for the help! :D

It's definitely an addiction. But that's the beauty of storage, add it when you need it.

If you do use Steam, I like to have it on my SSD, then tell any games i don't want on the SSD to install to a mechanical hard drive. Keep in mind, when installing a new Steam game, it defaults to wherever Steam is installed, so if you don't pay attention, you'll fill up your SSD.

Oh, and NEVER defrag an SSD.

post-18023-0-82218500-1417074145.png

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I have 4 drives currently.

It's definitely an addiction. But that's the beauty of storage, add it when you need it.

If you do use Steam, I like to have it on my SSD, then tell any games i don't want on the SSD to install to a mechanical hard drive. Keep in mind, when installing a new Steam game, it defaults to wherever Steam is installed, so if you don't pay attention, you'll fill up your SSD.

Oh, and NEVER defrag an SSD.

I was wondering if these drives in 1tb would make a big difference.. WD black, blue or seagate barracuda.. will the load times be significantly faster for games installed on a black drive over the other two? I'm looking to give my 500gb drive to a friend so i can get an upgrade as well

I was wondering if these drives in 1tb would make a big difference.. WD black, blue or seagate barracuda.. will the load times be significantly faster for games installed on a black drive over the other two? I'm looking to give my 500gb drive to a friend so i can get an upgrade as well

I don't think you'll notice a huge difference in loading times.