Western Union didn't get the joke...

post-941-0-70606600-1416994922.png

Spoof or joke, Western Union wasn't going to be amused and decided to fire the big guns at a Facebook user where he posted a single Bitcoin-themed picture, parodying a company's banner ad.

Beside the Streisand effect, the DMCA take down notice filed by the money transfer giant didn't cause much additional damage.

On Monday, the money transfer company filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claim with Facebook, alleging trademark infringement of its image. The claim was filed by Erin Schol, who is listed on LinkedIn as an assistant legal analyst for Western Union. However, the DMCA, as the name implies, only covers copyrighted material and not trademarks.

Kristin Kelly, a Western Union spokeswoman, told Ars in an e-mailed statement: "Western Union takes all brand matters seriously, and we take steps that we believe are necessary to protect our intellectual property interests." She declined to respond to specific questions.

The man who originally posted the image to Facebook (and then later to reddit), Dave Aiello, filed a counter notification with Facebook on Tuesday in an attempt to have the image restored.

A Facebook Community Operations representative named Laurel also told Aiello by e-mail (which he shared with Ars) that the company would restore the image within 10 and 14 business days “unless we receive notice that the complainant has filed an action seeking a federal court order to restrain you from engaging in infringing activity on Facebook related to the material in question.”

Source: Western Union doesn’t like Bitcoin spoof

Hadn't heard of Western Union. Have heard of Bitcoin. Haters gonna hate.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Fun fact: Before the Telephone (telegraph days) Western Union had a monopoly.

can't believe they are still feeling the sting. haha

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Since when is making a joke illegal? It's called the 1st amendment you corporate fucks. (talking to WU, not anyone here)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Since when is making a joke illegal? It's called the 1st amendment you corporate fucks. (talking to WU, not anyone here)

It's interesting. We went through some stuff in my journalism class that handled affairs with corporations and how they've attacked criticisms by using reasoning of defamation and the like. There is some strange bobbing and weaving they have to do to try and make a case for it.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I find it funny that these big corporations think that they can remove something just because they don't like.........don't they get it? If you try to take something off the internet it comes back with a very very nasty vengeance...just look at The Pirate bay or Silk Road ( rev 4.0 now i think?)

you pay money for transferring money?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Apparently parodies that are usually considered 'fair use' are not treated as such when the fundamental power of the establishment are under threat.

I've seen company's adverts be used by rivals for their own adverts before on national television, but don't you dare do so on facebook :\

Maybe it's because Western Union looks like it's a slow, outdated and massively overpriced service in comparison to Bitcoin.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

its america they killed of logic in the 80's its an idiot ffa now

that's just awesome! made my day, ok not quite, but still!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I find it funny that these big corporations think that they can remove something just because they don't like.........don't they get it? If you try to take something off the internet it comes back with a very very nasty vengeance...just look at The Pirate bay or Silk Road ( rev 4.0 now i think?)

i find it funnier when they trick people into advertising for them, while making them think they are sticking it to the man, see: The whole Beyonce wants these pictures off the internet thing.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R