Activision Using Youtube Copyright System to Hide Glitches

SnowGhost1212

So it seems that Activision has decided it's a great idea to take down Youtube videos that contain glitches, cheats and hacks by issuing copyright infringement claims. This is an interesting debate because on the one hand it stops hackers and cheaters but it also covers up problems with the game which would be bad publicity. However, either way is still misusing Youtube's copyright system. Maybe yputube should incorporate another, less instantaneous method of requesting a video be taken down?

Original Article: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/activision-taking-down-advanced-warfare-glitchcheat-videos/

What are your thoughts?

SnowGhost

Keep on digging that shirt works for everything.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They are focusing on reducing the accessibility of someone to be able to learn how to glitch and hack. However, I know multiple youtubers like Blackmesatech, Frankieonpc, etc that have shown glitches in their videos that they do for fun, yet acting responsibly do not show their viewers how to perform the glitch.

That being said, Youtube's DMCA take downs are notoriously bad at being filtered to any degree (if you can even consider them filtered). The only time that someone beats the system is if they have enough voice like TotalBiscuit or Pewdiepie.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Well it sure is bad that they are using the copyright system to hide the glitches but then on the other hand I can see why they would do it since you don't want the game to become a nightmare to play with everyone exploiting the glitches and hacking. Limiting that number until you fix the problem is a good thing to do but not using this method.

The problem here isn't that the videos are being taken down but the fact that as a result of the claim the author gets a mark against their YouTube account for something that really shouldn't be counted as infringement. 

They are focusing on reducing the accessibility of someone to be able to learn how to glitch and hack. However, I know multiple youtubers like Blackmesatech, Frankieonpc, etc that have shown glitches in their videos that they do for fun, yet acting responsibly do not show their viewers how to perform the glitch.

That being said, Youtube's DMCA take downs are notoriously bad at being filtered to any degree (if you can even consider them filtered). The only time that someone beats the system is if they have enough voice like TotalBiscuit or Pewdiepie.

Not how I see it I think they take down videos that have glitches to hide them from people.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

on the one hand it stops hackers and cheaters

How does it do that?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

zacRupnow, on 26 Nov 2014 - 7:24 PM, said:

How does it do that?

that...                  is a very good question.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

How does it do that?

They are using the claims to take down videos of people using hack, cheats and glitches.

I never pressed "F."

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

They are using the claims to take down videos of people using hack, cheats and glitches.

How does it prevent hacking, glitch abuse and cheating?

How does it prevent hacking, glitch abuse and cheating?

I believe the argument is, if there are videos showing how to abuse the glitch etc. then more people will know how to do it, and thus more people WILL do it. I think that's a stupid argument what with all the OTHER ways to share information on hacks, and it's also an illegal way to use DMCA takedowns, but y'know. Money.

I believe the argument is, if there are videos showing how to abuse the glitch etc. then more people will know how to do it, and thus more people WILL do it. I think that's a stupid argument what with all the OTHER ways to share information on hacks, and it's also an illegal way to use DMCA takedowns, but y'know. Money.

People who cheat will cheat

This is quite awful, I'm not sure what debate there could be.

Copyright strikes are a huge deal for youtube providers, you get a few of them and that is it, your channel is locked.

Activision is blatantly abusing a power that was created for a completely different purpose, a power that can seriously screw over a person, for a very, very, minor issue.