Clarification on 1st Gen Core i7

Go to solution Solved by Lotus,

Yes. Actually it's recommended to run at least DDR3-1600 because those i7s use BCLK overclocking, which overclocks everything including the memory. It's not hard to hit those speeds with a reasonable overclock.

Remember though that the first generation i7s like the i7-920 are on the X58 platform and so use triple-channel memory, so buy sticks in sets of 3, not 2, and make sure you populate the right slots.

Will any 1st Gen Core i7 be able to run stock DDR3-1333 RAM modules? If so, higher?

Intel ARK says that it can only run DDR3-800/1066, so that really leaves me confused.

kompooterz.

If your motherboard supports the RAM speed, than you can.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Yes. Actually it's recommended to run at least DDR3-1600 because those i7s use BCLK overclocking, which overclocks everything including the memory. It's not hard to hit those speeds with a reasonable overclock.

Remember though that the first generation i7s like the i7-920 are on the X58 platform and so use triple-channel memory, so buy sticks in sets of 3, not 2, and make sure you populate the right slots.

I'll try DDR3-1333 to make sure I'm safe first.

You can still underclock RAM to 1333, right? Just to clarify.

kompooterz.

IIRC, it'll underclock automatically to 1066 depending on the MoBo, but check first. You can only hit speeds of 1600 by overclocking anyway IIRC, but if you've got that setup you definitely SHOULD be overclocking. The problem is if you don't get the higher rated memory and overclock, you could hit memory instability problems despite having plenty of overclocking headroom in the CPU.

Also, because the X58 uses triple channel memory, the total bandwidth of 3 dimms operating at 1066 is roughly equivalent to 2 dimms operating at 1600, so even with slower speeds you still have perfectly fine bandwidth, which is why they did it that way in the first place.

The Intel ARK RAM specs are just the tested speeds, you can run 1600 easily.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I have an i7 950 myself. Few years back I bought 3x 4gb 1600mhz sticks, when I first put them in they ran at 1066 because that's what that generation of i7`s supported. But you're able to run them at higher speeds easily, even downclocking is possible :)

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Also, because the X58 uses triple channel memory, the total bandwidth of 3 dimms operating at 1066 is roughly equivalent to 2 dimms operating at 1600, so even with slower speeds you still have perfectly fine bandwidth, which is why they did it that way in the first place.

Dang had the x58 for a good 4 years now and never knew this(reason for tri-channel) . (Y)

Unfortunately my third channel slots are both not working anymore -.- long live asrock xD

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

Dang had the x58 for a good 4 years now and never knew this(reason for tri-channel) . (Y)

Unfortunately my third channel slots are both not working anymore -.- long live asrock xD

Ouch, those MoBos are NOT cheap, and that's a pretty significant problem. I guess it's a bit too late to RMA that sucker huh? ;)

Ouch, those MoBos are NOT cheap, and that's a pretty significant problem. I guess it's a bit too late to RMA that sucker huh? ;)

Yea broke like 3 months after the warranty expired :P been using dual channel for bout 2 years now, ah well :D

What's worse, these motherboards are so rare, even a X58 from EVGA (on Ebay) costs around $700 IIRC.

kompooterz.