Laptops not on 802.11n frequency and not on 5GHZ band

pureGold
Go to solution Solved by ionbasa,

There are definitely older devices that use wireless G in my household. I can't set my router into N only mode, there's no option. I have the Netgear C3700.

Those older devices are what is causing your links speeds to drop.

My suggestion:

Go look for a cheap B/G access point, maybe find one at a garage sale, and setup a separate wireless network for Wireless G devices, and use your c3700 for wireless N compatible devices.

...I have been reading about when manufacturers put together computers some functions are restricted for some reason. Is that why? If this is the case, should I buy a wifi usb adapter to achieve 802.11n output?

^^Yes, Some manufacturers can flash firmware or add bios/UEFI restrictions via a whitelist/blacklist. Why they do it? Not sure, but if I had to guess, planned obsolescence to force consumers in buying new hardware more often.

Realistically, you'll get the same speed with 2.4Ghz on 802.11n. Since your Wireless AP/Router only does 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 300Mbps on 5Ghz, there is no point in going to buy new hardware. You'll achieve the same speed on either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

^^Yes, Some manufacturers can flash firmware or add bios/UEFI restrictions via a whitelist/blacklist. Why they do it? Not sure, but if I had to guess, planned obsolescence to force consumers in buying new hardware more often.

Realistically, you'll get the same speed with 2.4Ghz on 802.11n. Since your Wireless AP/Router only does 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 300Mbps on 5Ghz, there is no point in going to buy new hardware. You'll achieve the same speed on either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

Alright so that makes sense. Now, why is it my laptops are only getting .5 MBps to 1 MBps if they're able to use 802.11n? These are the same speeds I got when I had my old router which supprted only 802.11 b/g. Should I have not expected a jump in speed?

Alright so that makes sense. Now, why is it my laptops are only getting .5 MBps to 1 MBps if they're able to use 802.11n? These are the same speeds I got when I had my old router which supprted only 802.11 b/g. Should I have not expected a jump in speed?

You should have noticed a bump in speed. 1 MBps is ~8Mbps, something is wrong. Are you transferring files between laptops, or downloading from the internet? If between laptops, maybe its a slow hard drive or other bottleneck. Can you check your link speed on the laptop, such as:

11ac+2x2+2SS+link.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Wow your link speed though... Mine fluctuates between 54 Mbps ish to 78 Mbps

post-164257-0-89424800-1417562814.png

Wow your link speed though... Mine fluctuates between 54 Mbps ish to 78 Mbps

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Do you have any older devices that use wireless G? If not, go into your router and set the AP mode to "N only". It seems as if an older device is causing the router to fall back to slower link speeds. 

Regarding the link speed in that screenshot, its with an 802.11ac access point.

There are definitely older devices that use wireless G in my household. I can't set my router into N only mode, there's no option. I have the Netgear C3700.

My suggestion:

Go look for a cheap B/G access point, maybe find one at a garage sale, and setup a separate wireless network for Wireless G devices, and use your c3700 for wireless N compatible devices.

My suggestion:

That seems like a great idea. FINALLY, the answer is now clear. Thanks ionbasa, you have been great great help man.