How to know if graphics card has a problem?

Skreedles

How could you find out if your graphics card has a problem?

I was playinf far cry 3 today and a tree loaded as random blue pixels, and a house nearby loaded as dufferently coloured squares.

Well the fact that you see a tree with random blue pixels and differently coloured squares means that there is a problem.

So now you should be looking for a solution to that problem :)

Is your GPU overclocked?

Have you tried installing the latest drivers?

Have you tried playing other games?

Have you run GPU stress tests to check stability?

Have you tried increasing the core voltage and setting any overclocks back to 0?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well the fact that you see a tree with random blue pixels and differently coloured squares means that there is a problem.

So now you should be looking for a solution to that problem :)

Is your GPU overclocked?

Have you tried installing the latest drivers?

Have you tried playing other games?

Have you run GPU stress tests to check stability?

Have you tried increasing the core voltage and setting any overclocks back to 0?

I have no overclocks done, I have the latest drivers and what would you suggest to test it I tried the Furmark 1080p preset test nothing came up.

The card is new I got it today.

Make sure you're not using beta drivers, that could be an issue. Is the game up to date.

Make sure you're not using beta drivers, that could be an issue. Is the game up to date.

I'm not using a beta driver.

Will using furmark damage my GPU?

No, but you should monitor yout PGU temp while running it to make sure your GPU doesnt have overheating issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, but you should monitor yout PGU temp while running it to make sure your GPU doesnt have overheating issues.

The hottest it gets is 66C...

The hottest it gets is 66C...

Then no it will not damage your card :)

Spoiler

Then no it will not damage your card :)

Not at all?

Only heat can damage a card right? Other than me slapping it.

Also I rna furmark 1080p preset 3 times and nothing wierd happened.

Not at all?

Also I rna furmark 1080p preset 3 times and nothing wierd happened.

No, not at all :) and dont slap it lol

Well if the stress test doest bring out anything abnormal and other games work fine, you can try downgrading your GPU drivers by one or two updates, and if that doesnt work then you could try redownloading the game.

Other than that, you will need to wait for a patch or driver update for your GPU.

Spoiler

Ahhh, the curse of card slapping .....

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Ahhh, the curse of card slapping .....

No, not at all :) and dont slap it lol

Well if the stress test doest bring out anything abnormal and other games work fine, you can try downgrading your GPU drivers by one or two updates, and if that doesnt work then you could try redownloading the game.

Other than that, you will need to wait for a patch or driver update for your GPU.

You guys don't slap your cards?

to be honest, I am not sure I have ever heard the words 'card' (graphic) and 'slap' in the same sentence before .... not sure I really want to again!!!!!

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Well I slap my card... ;)

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I slapped my 6970 but as a congratulations for not dieing on me. I had to save my first GPU from the evil grips of my evil murderous motherboard! DUN DUN DUUUUUUN. If its a one time issue it could just be initial teething problems (Plus lately for me Far Cry 3 does not look like its running smooth even at 60fps so the game has its issue.). If it persists or gets worse I would consider it a bigger issue. I once played Tomb Raider and everything was a blue box and the ocean on google maps was purple :P.

I5 4690k, EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence (Blue), Seagate 3TB & Western Digital 500GB HDD's, San Disk Ultra II 120GB SSD, Novatech Gold Series 850w PSU