PC Black Screens, Audio Loops and then restarts when playing some games.

Go to solution Solved by EmotionalPanda,

Reposted in troubleshooting forum.

Hi Guys, 

Hoping someone here can offer some advice for me. I've been having this issue on and offer the last year or so now, where basically I can be playing a game and then suddenly the screen goes black, the audio will loop the last .5 seconds or so, and then the PC will restart. 

I've had a good look around the web, trust me, and tried a number of things, but I'm still having the issue, most notably with Far Cry 4.

So, before I go any further let me list my PC spec:

CPU: Intel i5 4670k (stock clock speeds)

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti OC DCii 3gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

PSU: Corsair AX760 

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro

Drive: Samsung 840 SSD

Cooling: Corsair H100i

So, back to the issue. I have noticed it across a number of games over the last 12-18 months, though the ones that caused me the most grief that I can remember where Assassins Creed Black Flag, COD Black Ops 2 and now Far Cry 4. So far I've managed to play around 1hr 30 of FC4, but now whenever I load the game, within 5 or so minutes of playing, it will black screen, sound loop and then restart.

As I've said, I've tried a number of things to fix the issue, but so far nothing seems to have worked, let me list what I've tried so far.

I've RMA'd my PSU (for a different reason), but I still get the issue.

I've since rebuilt my entire system with a new cooler (used to be air cooled, now using the H100i), but still get issue

I've since installed Windows 8.1 Pro on a new SSD (clean install) from Windows 7 and still get the issue

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers (which I did anyway when I did a clean install)

I've updated my mobo bios to the latest version

I've updated my graphics drivers to the latest version

I've swapped the PCI-e slot my GPU is sat in

I've swapped the power cables running to my mobo/gpu out, and changed slots etc.

I've run Memtest86 for 2hrs with no errors

I may have done more, but I honestly can't remember.

I have noticed that it does happen during certain times of a game, for instance I recall with AC:BF that it happened when attempted to do the first leap of faith of a ships mast very early on in the game, and now with FC4 it's happened when I load into the game, on the side of a mountain and there is a lot of gunfire from some quarrel down below me. 

Anyway, I'm at a loose end as to what to do, I've tried everything I can think of, plus what random forums have suggested as well... so here's my last hope that someone on here can figure this one out for me.

Thanks in advanced guys! 

whats the temps on your GPU while playing? 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Just ran FarCry 4 and at the moment of the black screen and restart the GPU was at 56C - 92% Usage and 46% VID Usage.