looking for a good nas to run 4 x 3TB in raid5

lightfire33

i need a new storage solution for all my media and documents.
can anyone recomend a good 4 bay nas that will run 4 x WD red 3TB drives in raid 5.
i have been looking at the
synology disk station DS411J.
but i have no experience with this product, and i would like to hear the opinion forum.

My system: CPU: intel i7 3930k, Motherboard: ASUS rampage 4 extreme, gpu: GTX1080 RAM: 32 GB Corsair vengeance quad-channel 1866 MHz, sound card: ASUS xonar phoebus, Bootdrive: intel 520 240GB ssd, Storage drive: 3x 3TB Seagate baracuda, psu: Corsair HX 1050, Cooler: Corsair h100, Case, Corsair obsidian 800D.

I'm looking for exactly the same thing and have not found much that grabs my attention...

Anyone had a good NAS of this spec?

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Same Question,. :)

Has anyone have experience with Synology NAS,.

I have build a few DS411j's for friends, and im really please with them. 

The Synology DSM software is very nice and the system is very stable.

Use WD RED or Seagate Barracuda drives and you will have a very nice nas.

(one that you can post in my topic :P ) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I have build a few DS411j's for friends, and im really please with them. 

The Synology DSM software is very nice and the system is very stable.

Use WD RED or Seagate Barracuda drives and you will have a very nice nas.

(one that you can post in my topic :P ) http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21948-ltt-10tb-storage-show-off-topic/

Does that work like a cloud server? Or can it? (logging in and accessing information anywhere; multi-user)

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

I own a Synology DS412+ and I've personally done installs for a DS509+, DS1010+, DS1511+, DS2411+, DS3612xs, and RS3412RP.  They're my brand of choice when I do a NAS install for someone that can't afford a NetApp or an EMC VMX.  Software is excellent and has lots of configuration options.

If you get one, make sure you get drives that are RAID aware like the WD Reds or RE4 drives.  I can personally attest to the fact that WD's marketing for their Red drives is dead accurate.  Was troubleshooting a NAS the other day that had a "failed" drive.  Turned out that the drive was in fact not dead and had been dropped out the array because it took too long to respond because it was error correcting. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

I own a Synology DS412+ and I've personally done installs for a DS509+, DS1010+, DS1511+, DS2411+, DS3612xs, and RS3412RP.  They're my brand of choice when I do a NAS install for someone that can't afford a NetApp or an EMC VMX.  Software is excellent and has lots of configuration options.

If you get one, make sure you get drives that are RAID aware like the WD Reds or RE4 drives.  I can personally attest to the fact that WD's marketing for their Red drives is dead accurate.  Was troubleshooting a NAS the other day that had a "failed" drive.  Turned out that the drive was in fact not dead and had been dropped out the array because it took too long to respond because it was error correcting. 

Does that work like a cloud server? Or can it? (logging in and accessing information anywhere; multi-user)

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Yes, it can be configured for external access.  There is an option the latest DSM called ezCloud which allows you to set all that up.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB

Yes, it can be configured for external access.  There is an option the latest DSM called ezCloud which allows you to set all that up.

What about using your own computer as a cloud server? Is there any software you know of that will allow multiple people to access files? 

Thanks

What about using your own computer as a cloud server? Is there any software you know of that will allow multiple people to access files? 

Thanks

You'd have to have a router that was capable of port forwarding in addition to some other stuff.  It's not as simple as a boxed solution.

Current Rig

You'd have to have a router that was capable of port forwarding in addition to some other stuff.  It's not as simple as a boxed solution.

I do have a router capable of port forwarding, and I am familiar to port forwarding.