XFX double D R9 270X hits 90 degrees C

the jolly roger
Go to solution Solved by typographie,

ok, but why u do dis furmark?

Furmark is a torture test. It's doing exactly what it's designed to do. If you want to expose an unstable overclock, you want to use a worst-case scenario workload. Unigine is a great benchmarking application—but it behaves like a game does, just a very consistent game. It doesn't exert the same pressure that a real stress test does and it may not expose instability like Furmark does.

Even the most intensive games won't sit consistently at 100% forever so you won't see the same temperatures you see in Furmark. The GPU load will fluctuate when the bottleneck shifts to something else for a moment, or when you need to load a new map, or whatever.

So when running furmark my gpu hits 90 degrees, the fans ramp up to 100% and well when i saw that 90 degrees i got scared and shut it down, however when playing games i rarely hit 80 or 70, is it just that furmark is a bitch or do i have a deffective unit, the cooler is the one that is like silver and brushed aluminum, not the plain black one.

and how did i do on my OC???

original 

core clock 1050

memory clock: 1400

My OC:

core clock 1150

memory clock 1500

oh and on idle it runs at 30 degrees whitch seems pretty normal to me

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Furmark is a bitch, if it only hits 70 while gaming you're fine.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Furmark is a bitch, if it only hits 70 while gaming you're fine.

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

ultra super mega hardcore stress test

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Don't use Furmark, it is a GPU killer

what do you recommend?

So when running furmark my gpu hits 90 degrees, the fans ramp up to 100% and well when i saw that 90 degrees i got scared and shut it down, however when playing games i rarely hit 80 or 70, is it just that furmark is a bitch or do i have a deffective unit, the cooler is the one that is like silver and brushed aluminum, not the plain black one.

original 

core clock 1050

My OC:

core clock 1150

memory clock 1500

no furmark it is like prime 95 on haswell cpus

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

what do you recommend?

Unigine Heaven

RIP in pepperonis m8s

what do you recommend?

any of the unigiine ones

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

original 

core clock 1050

My OC:

core clock 1150

memory clock 1500

90 degrees is not dangerous for AMD cards,  AMD has previously stated that that's fairly normal at full load.  I wouldn't be worried unless it started approaching 100 degrees.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

90 degrees is not dangerous for AMD cards,  AMD has previously stated that that's fairly normal at full load.  I wouldn't be worried unless it started approaching 100 degrees.

Im not 100% but the 90*C+ is for 290/290x only I'm pretty sure...just not 100% sure.

The other cards can fail at lower temps. (It's not like the 7950/7970 (280/280x) were able to constantly manage 90*c+ and not fail)

OP - Info Tidbit, my Sapphire 270x  Dual-X @ 1100Mhz/1400Mhz max's out at 68*c with the Default Auto fan profile.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Furmark is a torture test. It's doing exactly what it's designed to do. If you want to expose an unstable overclock, you want to use a worst-case scenario workload. Unigine is a great benchmarking application—but it behaves like a game does, just a very consistent game. It doesn't exert the same pressure that a real stress test does and it may not expose instability like Furmark does.

Even the most intensive games won't sit consistently at 100% forever so you won't see the same temperatures you see in Furmark. The GPU load will fluctuate when the bottleneck shifts to something else for a moment, or when you need to load a new map, or whatever.

Unigine Heaven

ok thank you all

Im not 100% but the 90*C+ is for 290/290x only I'm pretty sure...just not 100% sure.

You might be right, but my 7770 Ghz Edition runs at 90 degrees (the manufacturer said this was okay)

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

7770 Ghz Edition runs at 90 degrees

HOLYCRAPTACULARSBATMAN

I'd think the GPU core wouldn't be powerful enough to put out that heat...unless the heatsink is shoddy/loose/thermal interface needing to be replaced.

While I have a 5770/6770 I've not had a 7770, but I'd think it'd be close to the same, with a usual MAX temp of around 60-70*c

Have you tried cleaning it out/re-thermal pasting it? <- being the one I'd do first hearing about those temps of 90*c.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

HOLYCRAPTACULARSBATMAN

I'd think the GPU core wouldn't be powerful enough to put out that heat...unless the heatsink is shoddy/loose/thermal interface needing to be replaced.

While I have a 5770/6770 I've not had a 7770, but I'd think it'd be close to the same, with a usual MAX temp of around 60-70*c

Have you tried cleaning it out/re-thermal pasting it? <- being the one I'd do first hearing about those temps of 90*c.

That's not the problem. I installed it in a shitty OEM case because I didn't have very much money at the time.  I've basically retired that PC though, as my laptop has a better CPU and essentially the same GPU.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

That's not the problem. I installed it in a shitty OEM case because I didn't have very much money at the time.  I've basically retired that PC though, as my laptop has a better CPU and essentially the same GPU.

Oh okay... well at least your past it now...

Oh okay... well at least your past it now...

But honestly, there was nothing wrong with it. It was a factory overclocked card from Diamond Multimedia, and it performed like a champ.  I don't care that it ran at 90 degrees, it was a very stable card.

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler