Is there a limit to how many times you can transfer a system builder version of Windows 8 to another Motherboard

rambi36

I'm thinking of getting a new mobo soon and the copy of Windows 8 that I'm running was already previously atached to another mobo. I called up Microsoft when I did the switch and everything was ok. Would it be an issue if I called them again to switch my product key to the new motherboard?

Life.exe is missing

I'm thinking of getting a new mobo soon and the copy of Windows 8 that I'm running was already previously atached to another mobo. I called up Microsoft when I did the switch and everything was ok. Would it be an issue if I called them again to switch my product key to the new motherboard?

It shouldn't be.

You bought it.

You should have the right to use it on whichever system you would like to.

If they say no, bitch at them and ask for a supervisor.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

I think the number of online activations is like 5 times before you have to call them. Try activating online first, if that does not work, then use the telephone method.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

not that i know of i have reused my oem license from my laptop for about 3 years now and thats from laptop to 970fx to 990fx

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I think the number of online activations is like 5 times before you have to call them. Try activating online first, if that does not work, then use the telephone method.

When I tried to activate my product key when I swapped before it told me to call em

Life.exe is missing

When I tried to activate my product key when I swapped before it told me to call em

So you must have a OEM key then? What is your Windows 8 package look like? OEM is tied to the machine and not to the user. For that, if online don't work. You can still use the telephone method to activate it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

So you must have a OEM key then? What is your Windows 8 package look like? OEM is tied to the machine and not to the user. For that, if online don't work. You can still use the telephone method to activate it.

Yeah its an OEM copy I stated in the title I have the system builder version. So wait? You're saying I an still call em up?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Life.exe is missing

Yeah its an OEM copy I stated in the title I have the system builder version. So wait? You're saying I an still call em up?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Yes you can still use the telephone method to activate your Windows. The option should pop up when online activation does not succeed. In telephone method, you're give a set of numbers, just give the number as that "person" ask you. When it's done, he will give a confirmation number back. Type that to the appropriate boxes and activate. You won't be talking to any live person during this, it's all computerized.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Yes you can still use the telephone method to activate your Windows. The option should pop up when online activation does not succeed. In telephone method, you're give a set of numbers, just give the number as that "person" ask you. When it's done, he will give a confirmation number back. Type that to the appropriate boxes and activate. You won't be talking to any live person during this, it's all computerized.

lel ive done this before shouldnt be a problem :P. Thanks for lettin me know!

Life.exe is missing

lel ive done this before shouldnt be a problem :P. Thanks for lettin me know!

I recently changed my motherboard - so I had to reactivate windows 8 (I used the automated phone system) and then stupidly I dd that before cloning my harddrive to an SSD I just bought (I had a 1TB SSHD and now have a 480GB SSD so had to do some rejiggering before cloning so everything would fit. (mostly just moving my steam folder - no hiccups! - and using the properties tab of my documents, my music, videos, etc... to relocate the libraries to a different drive (which will also cut down on a few unnecessary read/writes on the SSD.)

Anyways - so a few hours later - after cloning the SSHD to my SSD - plugging it in and booting up. Windows needed to be activated again. I was a little worried - but I just went through the same automated phone system (this time it asked me how many computers windows was currently installed on - I said 1) and all was right in the world again.

If you ever do run into issues - their support team are pretty friendly and helpful as long as you explain exactly what lead you having to reactivate windows. But last time I did this for my father (this past summer - to reactivate windows 7 after doing a fresh install on the same hardware) I was on the phone with them for an hour - not including on hold - and they had to login to my system using remote assistance to run some command - because I actually used a different disc than that which came with the serial number - it was in a laptop bag a few hours away and I am impatient - and so it was saying the installation id and license were not valid for this copy (I assumed a 64bit windows 7 disc was a 64 bit windows 7 disc - but apparently not)

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.