Car subwoofer

darren49402

I want to get a subwoofer to put in my car. I want a dual 10 or 12 inch with a voice coil for approximately 200 dollars. I want with the subs already installed in the box. Can yall help me out?

Advice: Get dual 10 inch subs in a custom box (make it yourself for extremely cheap if you can)

Dual 10s in general have heaps better of a sound stage. 12s are aimed more towards loudness and not so much clarity. This is not always the case

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

do you have an amp already?

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

OK, thanks I'm probably getting it for Christmas so I won't be buying, I also don't know how to make one, but do are there any brands to stay away from on the sub or amp side? I've heard Boss is really cheap.

Advice: Get dual 10 inch subs in a custom box (make it yourself for extremely cheap if you can)

Dual 10s in general have heaps better of a sound stage. 12s are aimed more towards loudness and not so much clarity. This is not always the case

Sound stage? They are so close together, in such a small room with long wavelengths... It doesn't really matter. Do agree on making the enclosure yourself if possible. Otherwise look at known brands.

Sound stage? They are so close together, in such a small room with long wavelengths... It doesn't really matter. Do agree on making the enclosure yourself if possible. Otherwise look at known brands.

There's an android app called Frequency Sound Generator that gives a really good definition of what subwoofers can achieve. I use this on every system I've encountered (a high-school parking lot full ^_^) and the 10 inch subs always progressed through the frequencies much smoother.

The 15+ subs were always shit at anything lower than 70~80Hz xD

I agree with the known brands part, but the quality of a sub is heavily dependant on the amp. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON AN AMP.

The 15+ subs were always shit at anything lower than 70~80Hz xD

Did they cram their sub in a 30 liter sealed box? A lot of car subs can hit 30hz easily if used correctly.

I guess the high school kids don't know what they are doing. 15's often hit a lot harder and go lower, but of course: prid pro quo (hoffman's iron law). Thus needing a bigger box.

I'd sort the components in this order of importance: box, sub, amp.

I'm not saying they couldn't hit those frequencies.

The 15" subs would flutter until they got to about 35Hz. It really didn't sound good. Where their sweet spot was, was around 65-80Hz. This is because most vehicles dont have enough space to properly tune an enclosure to 30Hz. I've only built one enclosure that was for quad 15" subs tuned to 32Hz and it took up the entire area behind the front seats of a crew cab truck. It was a T-line design and could round-house kick the air out of your lungs.

Yeah, half of them were actually high school kids ~60 of them. The rest were just people who came to me for a cheap custom enclosure, so keep in mind that most of the amps were cheaped out on too.

Edit: Also, that order of importance is dead on! The box is what makes the speaker decent. The sub quality sets the limits it can go. The amp allows you to hit those limits

Flutter?

A slotted port (reflex) tuned to 30hz is perfectly possible in almost every car. 

Quad sub takes up space indeed, but depending on the T/S parameters you can fit a 15" in 50 liter.

However, most 15's don't come cheap. For a cheapo custom box I'd go for a 8' or so.

Yeah, like the sound when you try to get a tweeter without a highpass filter to hit a low frequency. It's a retarded cone moving back and forth

Can almost guarantee that it's a mistuned port. Under tuning frequency the port, a helmholtz resonator, just acts as a hole in the box.

Excursion increases, output decreases. Like you describe in your post.

Darren, can you gives us your maximum size in liters? Do you want to take a challenge and build it yourself?

High satisfaction, low price, high performance, high flexibility, but consumes time :)

If you aren't looking to build your own enclosure, those MTX Magnums look pretty good. Beefy box, decent woofers. You might want to look into getting a bigger amp if you're looking for extreme bass and quality. For your budet (assuming ~$200) you should just stick with stock amp. No sense in spending an additional $150-$200 on an amp