WHOA i7 4790k, Z97X-UD5H-BK crash

khchewy

Ah yeah

So I've been having trouble with my system recently

And I've sort of come to the conclusion that it's either my cpu or my motherboard

It would be okay

Except it seems to be getting worse

This happened just now

post-113509-0-16124400-1416229588_thumb.

It's similar to an old crash I used to get with my HD7850 which is now pretty much unusable as it crashes pretty much every time it maxes out

Screen freaks out like this and flashes between two fractured frames

And sound stutters

Is anyone familiar with a similar issue?

Or seen this before/know what is going on

Cheers

EDIT: making this clear, I'm not running a gpu, this is with on-board graphics

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

Seems like a broken graphics chip to me, have you got a spare one to try that out?

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

Seems like a broken graphics chip to me, have you got a spare one to try that out?

Yeah I thought so too

However, this is on board graphics of an i7 4790k that I recently bought

Been having issues with it lately and wasn't sure if it was my cpu or mobo that was broken

I read a lot of forum posts about my mobo (UD5H) having problems with turbo boost etc. and crashes

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

It may be the motherboard because you said the sound was stuttering, but I can't be sure. Do you have a spare? If not, try to return it for a better model.

私はピザが大好きだよ。
CPU: i5 4670k - GPU: Twin Frozr GTX 760 - Mobo: Msi Z87 G45 - Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - PSU: CX600M - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - OS: Windows 8.1

Both your motherboard and CPU should be covered under warranty you should really RMA them both.

were you watching youtube, or streaming video online that would use adobe flash when it crashed?

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It may be the motherboard because you said the sound was stuttering, but I can't be sure. Do you have a spare? If not, try to return it for a better model.

Ah, is that typical of a motherboard failure?

My mate is gonna lend me his z87 next week and I'll update the bios and test my cpu

Thing is, the store I bought the mobo from charges a $50 service fee for testing a working product, so I want to be sure

The store I bought the cpu from is in a different state, so I have to mail it to them haha - would like to test it with my mate first

Both your motherboard and CPU should be covered under warranty you should really RMA them both.

The thing is, I don't know which one is faulty :(

were you watching youtube, or streaming video online that would use adobe flash when it crashed?

Yeah, I was watching youtube

Does adobe flash cause crashes like this?

I haven't seen this crash before from using flash

In the past with my old GPU, it was from playing bf4 and stuff that stressed the vram out

Also, ran memtest overnight with 0 errors in 10 passes, so it's definitely not my memory

Thanks heaps guys

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

Yeah, I was watching youtube

Does adobe flash cause crashes like this?

I haven't seen this crash before from using flash

In the past with my old GPU, it was from playing bf4 and stuff that stressed the vram out

I used to get that happening a lot when I had a gtx500 series card, and the driver would downclock my gpu while a youtube video was playing, and my screen would look just like yours in that picture, and I would have to reboot. I've had a few other weird encounters with flash conflicting with other 3D programs.

not saying your case has anything to do with flash, but it just struck me as similar.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I used to get that happening a lot when I had a gtx500 series card, and the driver would downclock my gpu while a youtube video was playing, and my screen would look just like yours in that picture, and I would have to reboot. I've had a few other weird encounters with flash conflicting with other 3D programs.

not saying your case has anything to do with flash, but it just struck me as similar.

Ah I see

I'm not sure if a driver error could cause it to hang like this though

It certainly is more consistent with a hardware failure from my previous experience

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

are there any overclocks?
try onboard graphics?
Swap ram?
Run memtest for 24 hours?
Re install drivers?
Try a linux boot stick and see if it still happens?
Try different PCIe slots for your GPU?
Try a different GPU?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

are there any overclocks?

try onboard graphics?

Swap ram?

Run memtest for 24 hours?

Re install drivers?

Try a linux boot stick and see if it still happens?

Try different PCIe slots for your GPU?

Try a different GPU?

Yeah I'm running onboard graphics

Core is at 4.0GHz stock, I think it's linked to my motherboard errors with Turbo Boost and any clock higher than 4.2 really

I've also run memtest overnight with 0 errors on my memory

I doubt it's a driver issue as I'm running a fresh install of windows with all the essentials installed

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

Yeah I'm running onboard graphics

Core is at 4.0GHz stock, I think it's linked to my motherboard errors with Turbo Boost and any clock higher than 4.2 really

I've also run memtest overnight with 0 errors on my memory

I doubt it's a driver issue as I'm running a fresh install of windows with all the essentials installed

Update your BIOS.

It could also be a driver issue, even if you just installed them.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Update your BIOS.

It could also be a driver issue, even if you just installed them.

Yeah, I have

That's true, though I've never had trouble with most of these drivers before, apart from the Marvell sata control

Thanks for your help, I'll keep looking

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

Yeah, I have

That's true, though I've never had trouble with most of these drivers before, apart from the Marvell sata control

Thanks for your help, I'll keep looking

have you tried booting into a linux live stick for a while and seeing if it still happens? That will narrow down hardware vs software.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

most likely hardware, althoughive actually had software issues similar to this. 

windows was so effed up it stuttered between about 8 broken and tearing frames of green black and yellow, sound turned to white noise/classic CRT tv static. ect. ect. ect. 

i dunno what to tell you, PRAY TO LINUS AND GABEN AND HOPE FOR THE BEST ALSO 4 WAY TITAN2'S / 990'S HAHA

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

have you tried booting into a linux live stick for a while and seeing if it still happens? That will narrow down hardware vs software.

I'll have to set it up, but I'll try that thanks!!

do you have recommendations for linux based cpu stress testing software?

most likely hardware, althoughive actually had software issues similar to this. 

windows was so effed up it stuttered between about 8 broken and tearing frames of green black and yellow, sound turned to white noise/classic CRT tv static. ect. ect. ect. 

i dunno what to tell you, PRAY TO LINUS AND GABEN AND HOPE FOR THE BEST ALSO 4 WAY TITAN2'S / 990'S HAHA

oh lol that sounds bad

haha

linus sponsor me with future tech pls

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

I'll have to set it up, but I'll try that thanks!!

do you have recommendations for linux based cpu stress testing software?

oh lol that sounds bad

haha

linus sponsor me with future tech pls

You said this happens with normal use? Just watch the tek or the wan show, or both, and see if it happens at any time.

Use for a day, maybe two, and if it doesn't happen, it's windows.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

OK

SO

I tried turning Intel XMP off as a sort of absent minded/what will it matter test

I checked my RAM modules and realised they run at 1.65V

Checked Easytune - memory voltage at 1.5V

Running XTU at the moment at 4.5GHz and maxing out at 70C, no crashes so far since I turned the voltage up and XMP off

I'll try XMP tomorrow... at the correct voltages...

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"