Xbox One to rip off European and UK customers

Ethnod

So the Xbox One conference just ended and they announced the price and release date.

So its November and its $499

But wait, they are selling it for €499 and £420... wait. lets do the math here

As of today

Euro: $499 = €376.437

Pound: $499 = £320.312

Even if you hedge bets with money conversions and all its still waaaaay over priced

Oh and let me point out that MS are an international company and fluctuations in currency does not apply that much seeing as they are manufacturing these things all over the world and bringing them together some other place and then shipping them world wide.

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

European/UK prices include tax too, whereas US prices don't include tax. As for whether or not import duties apply because they're an international company, that would depend.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

They are completely headed towards the American market, cause even with VAT that's not more than 400 Euros, guess they don;t give a damn about EU, better for PS4 and PC

PS4 is going to do the same!

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

European/UK prices include tax too, whereas US prices don't include tax. As for whether or not import duties apply because they're an international company, that would depend.

What are the Tax rates in the US for consoles? Cause unless they are around 35% then UK and EU are getting shafted. Plus they will be selling through a EU subsidiary and then there is no import tax in the EU for any other country in the EU

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

What are the Tax rates in the US for consoles? Cause unless they are around 35% then UK and EU are getting shafted. Plus they will be selling through a EU subsidiary and then there is no import tax in the EU for any other country in the EU

Anywhere between 8-15% depending on State/Country.

Canadian taxes are 12-13% (GST + PST, currently combined as HST but both are generally charged for electronics).

It adds on quite a bit and probably pushes it closer to the EU/UK prices. Also being sold through an EU subsidiary doesn't mean much if the console is made in China/Taiwan/wherever else and has to be imported into the EU.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Anywhere between 8-15% depending on State/Country.

Canadian taxes are 12-13%.

It adds on quite a bit and probably pushes it closer to the EU/UK prices.

At a 15% tax rate it makes the console cost $573,85. In Portugal, taxes are 23%, so the console should cost $604 not $662! I could buy a game with that difference in price...

California is 7.5% so you're looking at $537.48 after taxes

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

California is 7.5% so you're looking at $537.48 after taxes

yea but thats not $661.358 

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=499&From=EUR&To=USD

Never said it was, I was just commenting on what my local tax rate is. Trust me, I feel for you guys, you're getting boned, hard

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

im gonna get a Xbox one for "Project Sparkle" "Halo 5" "Watch Dogs" "Titan Fall" and for watching TV like a lazy person

Character artist in the Games industry.

Not really surprising it's being done by many other tech companies unfortunately so I wouldn't really blame jsut Microsoft. Smartphones for example are always sold at the same number of € as they cost in $ which is most definitely not the same value, same with many PC parts.

I'm suprised for once NZ is not getting boned on price. NZ price has been confirmed at NZ$749.

As NZ has 15% tax it only another $20 extra but the extra shipping to get it down here is not bad.

I buy most of my computer gear from USA if I can as even with shipping and tax it's usually cheaper by $100-200 on most things.

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

am i the only person who has gotten issues with the EA bf4 multiplayer audio?

Character artist in the Games industry.