HP ProLiant MicroServer

Hi, I am going to receive a HP ProLiant MicroServer from a friend, I am not 100% sure on the specs however this isn't unlike this: 

http://louwrentius.com/hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-is-a-great-nas-or-router.html

I want to wipe the device so I can use it for my own files.

I am completely new to this kind of computing so I have lots of questions. What kind of purpose could this device serve? I was thinking maybe a small home server where I could back up my files. Could it be used for more than this or is it limited to only that?

Also what kind of software should I be installing onto it? Would it be completely absurd to install a Windows operating system purely because I know Windows the best or would it be a better idea to try and work my way around a dedicated piece of software?

If anyone could give me some advice, give their input/opinions or answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it, thank you

Load Linux on that bitch and do some webdesign, web hosting, game server hosting, cloud, anything really.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Load Linux on that bitch and do some webdesign, web hosting, game server hosting, cloud, anything really.

Awesome, is there any particular distro you would recommend? 

Awesome, is there any particular distro you would recommend? 

I like Debian 7 and CentOS 6.x, either will do but I prefer CentOS a little more.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Ubuntu is easier to get the hang of for beginners, that is if you are currently scared of CLIs.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

I'm actually deploying one of these as a Domain Controller with Active Directory and a file server for everyones user accounts in a very small IT network (A network which will have a maximum of 12 concurrent users).

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I'm actually deploying one of these as a Domain Controller with Active Directory and a file server for everyones user accounts in a very small IT network (A network which will have a maximum of 12 concurrent users).

It's a good start for one of these actually!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

You could use this for just about anything really provided it has the specs for the task at hand.

File Server

Web Server

VPN Server

Game Server

Streaming Server

Router/Firewall

For the os you can honestly use what ever you want or are comfortable with.

Windows Server

Windows Home server

Something Linux based like Ubuntu, centos7, Debian

Something FreeBSD based like FreeNAS(Perfect for a file server) or pfSense(router/firewall)

Make a storage box out of it. The CPU isn't probably strong enough to do much else with it.

Make a storage box out of it. The CPU isn't probably strong enough to do much else with it.

You'd be surprised, I run a couple low end VM's on one I have, as well as AD, DHCP, Fileserver and media server. All works perfectly! For around 15 devices so not many but for a home server, perfect!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

You'd be surprised, I run a couple low end VM's on one I have, as well as AD, DHCP, Fileserver and media server. All works perfectly! For around 15 devices so not many but for a home server, perfect!

Me personally, I would just turn it into a little Linux box with Ubuntu desktop on it.

Me personally, I would just turn it into a little Linux box with Ubuntu desktop on it.

That's what I've got running on one of the VM's!  :P

Actually its a real quick domain server ... for 12 PCs so if you have a small business or charitable organisation then this is a really cost effective way to deploy a domain server!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Actually its a real quick domain server ... for 12 PCs so if you have a small business or charitable organisation then this is a really cost effective way to deploy a domain server!

Tho who's going to setup a DNS server for home use, it's quite impractical. The only practical solution along them lines would be a squid server. Which would be extremely beneficial if your ISP plan is pay per GB.

Tho who's going to setup a DNS server for home use, it's quite impractical. The only practical solution along them lines would be a squid server. Which would be extremely beneficial if your ISP plan is pay per GB.

He mentioned before it's for a small business. There isn't any setup to be fair, it's pretty straight forward.

He mentioned before it's for a small business. There isn't any setup to be fair, it's pretty straight forward.

No where in his OP did I see him stating he's using it for anything other than home use. Personally, I think it would be a great machine for him to learn his way around Linux on (as he stated he's mostly familiar with Windows). I would slap Ubuntu or Linux Mint on it and just use it for toying around with. Possibly even set it up at the desk as a dedicated Linux machine for running all of your personal info through.