PC is going to die?

aba

I don't usually post but I've seen this discussion many times before and one primary factor is ritually overlooked, Lithium. 

Form factor isn't the limitation we're up against, you could cram a socket 2011 hyperthreaded 6-core and a Titan GPU with minor under-clocking to control temperatures in an ultra book but the battery would drain in minutes. Certainly the traditional desktop PC will decline going forward but until the unlikely miracle by which we find a superior alternative to Lithium-Ion the power of mobile computing will remain almost stagnant.

With regard to the decline of the PC; it will fall to the way-side as the average consumer adopts mobile platforms and we've already seen this in recent years but the PC will remain due in part to the projected growth of PC gaming in years to come but more so due its necessity at the enterprise level with regard to servers and professional work which will only be bolstered by the growth of technology as a whole as more and more of our jobs involve IT.

well for most things tablets and the rest are still inferior to the pc 

or a tablet requires a PC most of the time.

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

office work etc will always need computers because they have power and offer a more comfortable typing experience.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Desktops and Workstations will always exist. However, the performance gap between them and ultrabooks/convertible tablets will close, allowing for low power, high performance systems across all platforms (desktops and ultrabooks), depending on how technology advances. The main difference for ultrabooks/convertibles will be the mobility for people who need the same level of performance on the go.

Standard laptops (non-ultrabook) may turn into a niche market.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Everything that requires the use of a keyboard and mouse.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Uh, what do companies use for their employees? Tablets? No. Phones? No. Computers? YES.

You're not going to see huge corporations like Cisco, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Irvine Company, LinusMediaGroup, etc. use anything BUT computers to do their everyday work.

I remember the workers at a Sears in Southern California had iPads with satchels to carry them lol

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

Productivity things like 3D rendering, modelling, video editing, etc. Very CPU intensive things that only a PC would be able to handle quickly, efficiently, and reliably enough.

A keyboard and mouse and definitely more comfortable than leaning over a tiny phone/tablet screen. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990