6 Channel Audio Surround Recommendations?

whiplash4

My current Altec Lansing 251 speaker set is dying (I believe its shorting out) and is extremely old. I am looking for good quality 6 channel audio surround speaker system for PC with good bass (when I need it). I bought (but have not used yet) the Asus Maximus VII Formula MOBO which supposedly has GREAT onboard audio. 

I might use it for gaming (single player), but generally get my audio through a headset. I'd prefer something that is killer for music at a manageable price. 

Any suggestions and why?

*EDIT* Although a weird request, I certainly want a ground prong on the power plug! I believe this is why my current Altec Lansing 251 is going bad. 

I might use it for gaming (single player), but generally get my audio through a headset. I'd prefer something that is killer for music at a manageable price. 

Logitech Z506?

"Rawr XD"

Logitech Z506?

Do you own it? Why did you suggest it? It DOES have a good price I will say. 

If you're aiming for quality, then get a modular system, instead of an instant system.

This is just my personal terms, but something like that altec lansing, and similar stuffs are instant systems. You unpack it, and it's ready to go. It's convenient in its simplicity, but you can't expand it further, not without buying a whole new system.

Modular system is where you build your own system. Get a decent AVR + the 6 speakers, which is 1x center, 2x front, 2x rear, 1x sub. It's widely expandable, i.e. later on, you can replace the sub, the front pair, etc with something better.

I have it's predecessor, the Logitech G51, and even they sound really good under normal listening conditions for gaming, movies, and music. They can't shake my house like my Logitech Z623 can, but that's what it's surround sound counterpart, the Z906, is for. 

The Z506 are the best surround sound speakers for the money imo

"Rawr XD"

Modular system is where you build your own system. Get a decent AVR + the 6 speakers, which is 1x center, 2x front, 2x rear, 1x sub. It's widely expandable, i.e. later on, you can replace the sub, the front pair, etc with something better.

But unless you get stuff used then it's quite expensive to do a modular system.

"Rawr XD"

If you're aiming for quality, then get a modular system, instead of an instant system.

This is just my personal terms, but something like that altec lansing, and similar stuffs are instant systems. You unpack it, and it's ready to go. It's convenient in its simplicity, but you can't expand it further, not without buying a whole new system.

For what I am looking for, I just need an "instant system". I don't have much of a budget to spend on speakers, I just want something that has good sound quality and won't crack or short out when I turn it up high. 

I have it's predecessor, the Logitech G51, and even they sound really good under normal listening conditions for gaming, movies, and music. They can't shake my house like my Logitech Z623 can, but that's what it's surround sound counterpart, the Z906, is for. 

The Z506 are the best surround sound speakers for the money imo

The Logitech Z623 is $110 on Amazon. Is that a good deal or a typical price? Should I consider the Z623 over the Z506?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000402-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B003VAHYTG

But unless you get stuff used then it's quite expensive to do a modular system.

True. It's like they say, pay for salad and you'll get salads, pay for steak and you'll get steaks.

If you're patient, you can build a system that's relatively cheap. Browse around, online and offline, to find/get the best prices. AVRs are quite cheap these days, and unless you're setting it up for a big theater room, you won't need big and powerful speakers. You can even order a custom made speakers (assuming you got people making those in your area). Lutkeveld and stagea here should know more about speakers and home setups. 

Edit: I thought you were the OP, didn't see the ID when quoting :)

For what I am looking for, I just need an "instant system". I don't have much of a budget to spend on speakers, I just want something that has good sound quality and won't crack or short out when I turn it up high. 

Then let's start with a budget then.

You won't really know the differences until you compare them side by side. 'Powerful' instant systems usually just rely on its sub to give the sense (or illusion) of 'powerful', complemented with relatively weak satellites. That's why, usually it's the satellites that are the first ones to give up/start having problems. They also lack the lower-mid frequency section, that's supposed to be handled by the front pair. 

You won't really know the differences until you compare them side by side. 'Powerful' instant systems usually just rely on its sub to give the sense (or illusion) of 'powerful', complemented with relatively weak satellites. That's why, usually it's the satellites that are the first ones to give up/start having problems. They also lack the lower-mid frequency section, that's supposed to be handled by the front pair. 

I will agree with this, however at your desk, an instant system like the Z506 will provide more then enough mid-high range power with the satellites that are provided. If you were using it in a larger area though it's a different story.

"Rawr XD"

True. It's like they say, pay for salad and you'll get salads, pay for steak and you'll get steaks.

Then let's start with a budget then.

I will agree with this, however at your desk, an instant system like the Z506 will provide more then enough mid-high range power with the satellites that are provided. If you were using it in a larger area though it's a different story.

It will be for a desk/small office space. I am looking to spend between $60 and about $120. Nothing to blow the roof off, but just "good" quality. I am no sound engineer, so I am not very picky when it comes to that - as long as they turn on, work properly, and do their job. I'd like to be able to adjust bass so that I can use them when I want - low at night, bumping when I am jamming out.

It will be for a desk/small office space. I am looking to spend between $60 and about $120. Nothing to blow the roof off, but just "good" quality. I am no sound engineer, so I am not very picky when it comes to that - as long as they turn on, work properly, and do their job. I'd like to be able to customize bass so I can utilize it as I want (that seems to be a standard). 

The thing about the Z506 that's kind of annoying is you have to reach around to the back of the subwoofer to change the bass level, whereas speakers like the G51 and Z623 have the bass control right next to the volume control.

"Rawr XD"

The thing about the Z506 that's kind of annoying is you have to reach around to the back of the subwoofer to change the bass level, whereas speakers like the G51 and Z623 have the bass control right next to the volume control.

Reaching around the back is not a priority to me.

What about 3 pronged plug? I'd hope that is now a standard given the power consumption.

That's one of the problem. The sub is good for low and rumbling lows. The satellites are good for mid, high-mid, and highs (treble). Now there's a gap between them, which is the lower mid, the 'sweet spot' for vocals. There is a physical hack, however, but it might void the warranty, as it involved in opening the satellites. Just open the front pair, and stuff pillow stuffing inside. It will bring up the lower mid section, and gives an illusion of a bigger speaker box. I stuffed mine, and it worked wonder, to its limit of course. Just google 'stuffing speaker box' to read more about this.

Don't buy Logitech Z506,i purchased it before i got introduced to the world of stereo sound.I have never used my z506 ever since i purchased Micca MB42 stereo speakers with Lepai amp.Micca MB42 has 75 watt for each speaker compared to Logitech z506 for 75 watts of z506 for the entire system.Bass,mids and highs of MB42 are on another level compared to Logitech z506.Trust me don't buy Z506 it might sound good for couple of days but MB42 surprises me everytime by the audio quality and bass is just mindblowing for the price.

Don't buy Logitech Z506,i purchased it before i got introduced to the world of stereo sound.I have never used my z506 ever since i purchased Micca MB42 stereo speakers with Lepai amp.Micca MB42 has 75 watt for each speaker compared to Logitech z506 for 75 watts of z506 for the entire system.Bass,mids and highs of MB42 are on another level compared to Logitech z506.Trust me don't buy Z506 it might sound good for couple of days but MB42 surprises me everytime by the audio quality and bass is just mindblowing for the price.

That's what I've been trying to say above :D

Now imagine how it would sound if you got a full 5.1 system, with speakers about the same level as that Micca. I'd guess it'd sound at least 2-3 levels above instant systems.

This is because those are bookshelf speakers and are on a totally different level then the Z506. Also the speakers are 75 watts per speaker power handling but Lepai amps don't put out 75W per channel. 

Also, again, they are stereo bookshelf speakers, read the title and OP. 6 Channel surround sound stereo system. That is not what Micca MB42 are.

They would make good contenders for a modular stereo system, but again at that point it would cost a lot more then what would just buying the speakers cost.

"Rawr XD"

Reaching around the back is not a priority to me.

What about 3 pronged plug? I'd hope that is now a standard given the power consumption.

Personal preference to you whether that's annoying or not. I adjust my bass all the time, cause sometimes I feel like listening to music and actually having some vocal quality come out from the speakers and sometimes I just want to shake shit off the shelves with bass. I couldn't stand having to reach around to the back of the sub box all the time.

My G51 and Z623 both use two prong plugs.

"Rawr XD"

That's what I've been trying to say above :D

Now imagine how it would sound if you got a full 5.1 system, with speakers about the same level as that Micca. I'd guess it'd sound at least 2-3 levels above instant systems.

This is because those are bookshelf speakers and are on a totally different level then the Z506. Also the speakers are 75 watts per speaker power handling but Lepai amps don't put out 75W per channel. 

Also, again, they are stereo bookshelf speakers, read the title and OP. 6 Channel surround sound stereo system. That is not what Micca MB42 are.

They would make good contenders for a modular stereo system, but again at that point it would cost a lot more then what would just buying the speakers cost.

I will consider all affordable options. With the bookshelf speakers, aren't there extra costs with getting a receiver and PC adapter? I feel that would put me over budget. 

I will consider all affordable options. With the bookshelf speakers, aren't there extra costs with getting a receiver and PC adapter? I feel that would put me over budget. 

You don't have to get a dedicated receiver. There are some good amps out there for a decent price, like the Lepai amps which can connect to your PC with a simple aux cord.

Some Lepais also have a third channel for a subwoofer, might be able to find a used non-amplified car sub in a box that you could use if you want some bass along with those bookshelf speakers.

"Rawr XD"

You don't have to get a dedicated receiver. There are some good amps out there for a decent price, like the Lepai amps which can connect to your PC with a simple aux cord.

Some Lepais also have a third channel for a subwoofer, might be able to find a used non-amplified car sub in a box that you could use if you want some bass along with those bookshelf speakers.

Well, I sold my Rockford Fosgate P2s and 800W Alpine Amp. I never thought I would need em and didn't have space at the time.

I just want something simple with good sound quality. "Good" is certainly relatively, but like I said, I am no sound engineer.

I want bass, but no need to bump the foundation of my house around.  ;)

I appreciate all the feedback you guys. You have been very helpful. Thank you.

Well, I sold my Rockford Fosgate P2s and 800W Alpine Amp. I never thought I would need em and didn't have space at the time.

Regardless, I think we are getting out of scope of what I am looking for. I just want something simple with good sound quality. "Good" is certainly relatively, but like I said, I am no sound engineer.

It's your call then. Besides, I don't think $120 max will get you a good modular complete 6 speakers setup. $200 might, but not $120. Unless some time is taken to browse around used bookshelf speakers.

Many people don't realize this, but a sound card, including onboard audio, is an AVR, albeit not a very good one. There's a possibility of a ghetto setup, which is to get 3x @$20 Lepai amp, plus the speakers. The onboard will handle the surround channel distribution. 

I just want something simple with good sound quality. "Good" is certainly relatively, but like I said, I am no sound engineer.

The amp would need a PSU to run off of in the house anyways, so not too much regret or anything

Lepai's with the subwoofer channel option don't put out a lot of power to the subwoofer anyways, so really a 10" walmart sub in a box that you could pick up for as cheap as possible on Craigslist would be perfectly fine to at least add some bass to the barely any at all that bookshelf speakers provide. 

"Rawr XD"