I7 vs I5

Hc2880

Okay so ive been takling with my friend about This. He Claims that the I5 is specificly made for gaming. And that the I7 is made for editing and so on. But does This mean that even though the I7 has more features the I5 Will out perform the I7.

can anyone please confirm weather This is Right or not

ps im takling about the I7 3770k and the I5 3570k.

That's not really true. I'm not sure what he is referring to. The i5 will do fine for gaming and the i7 will be better for editing and more CPU intensive choirs but one is not designed specifically for a certain task.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

The only difference between the two is that the i7 has hyperthreading so it has double the virtual cores and the i5 does not. The reason why the i7 is "better for editing" is because it often is able to utilize the extra cores. Games however do not use many cores due to consoles.

The only difference between the i5 and i7 is hyperthreading.

hyperthreading allows every physical core to have 2 logical cores.

This means that while the i5 has 4 physical cores and 4 logical cores,

the i7 will have 4 physical cores and 8 logical cores.

this makes the i7 considerably better for tasks like 3d modeling,video editing/encoding,photo editing,and other tasks that can are multi-threaded to be able to use all of it's cores and threads.

although the i7 will typically not lose performance in gaming since hyperthreading simply isn't accessed by games,or it may give a small boost if the game can use it,maybe 3-5fps or something.some games do have a phenomenon where they lose some few fps when hyperthreading is present,although this can be alleviated by disabling hyperthreading in the bios.

typically though the i5 and i7 are equal in gaming unless your trying to stream or record the gameplay,at which point the i7 will do better.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

this makes the i7 considerably better for tasks like 3d modeling,video editing/encoding,photo editing,and other tasks that can are multi-threaded to be able to use all of it's cores and threads.

although the i7 will typically not lose performance in gaming since hyperthreading simply isn't accessed by games,or it may give a small boost if the game can use it,maybe 3-5fps or something.some games do have a phenomenon where they lose some few fps when hyperthreading is present,although this can be alleviated by disabling hyperthreading in the bios.

typically though the i5 and i7 are equal in gaming unless your trying to stream or record the gameplay,at which point the i7 will do better.

Its not that I disagree, you are right but also you didnt explain the whole picture... there is more to streaming and gaming than just a processor... but I see your point.... :D

3570K: 4 cores, 4 threads

3770K: 4 cores, 8 threads

The only real difference between a 3570K and 3770K is hyper-threading (it does have a higher clock speed but you can easily overclock the 3570K). Both will do just fine in games but games don't take advantage of the hyper-threading causing the extra threads to be useless in games. If you're doing CPU intensive things such as rendering which will take advantage of the extra threads then it will be a good buy.

Both will do the same in gaming but the 3570K is better value for money and if you aren't going to use the extra threads then just go with the 3570K and save $100 as it's not going to drastically improve your gaming experience, put that money into a graphics card.

The i5 is not ''specifically'' made for gaming. It's just a mid to high end desktop processor that happens to perform well in games.

it is nothing the i5 is made for gaming and i7 for edditing, just that the hyperthreading helps a little bit for editing and gaming doesnt require that ,so i5 will do just fine. some games are poisoned by hyperthreading and cause a slight frame drop in those cases the i5 outperforms the i7,but once the hyperthreading is turned off you would be good to go!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I didn't explain the whole picture because there was no need to.he asked for the difference in the i5 and i7 and whether or not one is more specialized for certain things than another.

I explained why the i7 could be more useful in multi-threaded applications,told him that it is about equal in gaming with the i5 due to games typically being able to make use of,or full use of,4 physical cores,and then I briefly mentioned that in streaming or recording which are highly intensive would benefit from a stronger processor.

sure I could have said that an SSD would also help with recording due to the high write requirements for recording video,or that a capture card like the Avermedia liver gamer HD would take the load from the processor and allow for use with weaker processors without performance degradation as well as allowing for real-time compression to prevent huge files.but theres a reason I didn't,since he didn't ask about it,and since I brought it up more as a sub-point used to backup the main idea which is that the i7 may be better for gaming if you plan on recording/streaming as well,going off topic and going into depths about everything that could benefit recording would be pointless and would create a huge onerous wall of text that was, aside from being a wall of text, irrelevant to the OP

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Ok... I said you are right... and I wanted him to know that its not all about CPU.. :) you didnt have to make a novel, I though he would understand it without it :D

it is nothing the i5 is made for gaming and i7 for edditing' date=' just that the hyperthreading helps a little bit for editing and gaming doesnt require that ,so i5 will do just fine. some games are poisoned by hyperthreading and cause a slight frame drop in those cases the i5 outperforms the i7,but once the hyperthreading is turned off you would be good to go![/quote']

The i5 isnt 'made for gaming' like sal said, it happens to be good because it doesn't have hyperthreading, which 99% of games can't take advantage of.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

The core i7 will perform better than the i5 on anything that is SMP enabled, so video editing, encoding, 3d rendering. The only difference is that hyperthreading on the i7 is enabled, and that allows it to perform simultaneous tasks on the core while waiting for instructions from the RAM.

For gaming, just get an i5; it will perform the same or better than an i7, unless you are playing one of the very rare games that can utilize 8 threads; the i7 is a waste for all games other than those.

The real differences and similarities. Processors are made to process anything you can think of not one specific end user task.

Processor Number i7-3770K i5-3570K

Launch Date Q2'12 Q2'12

# of Cores 4 4

# of Threads 8 4

Cache 8.0 MB 6.0 MB

Clock Speed 3.50 GHz 3.40 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency 3.90 GHz 3.80 GHz

Bus/Core Ratio 35 34

Bus Type DMI DMI

Instruction Set 64-bit 64-bit

Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.1/4.2, AVX SSE4.1/4.2, AVX

Lithography 22 nm 22 nm

Max TDP 77 77

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB 32 GB

Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600 DDR3-1333/1600

# of Memory Channels 2 2

Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 25.6

Graphics Specifications

Processor Graphics Yes Yes

Graphics Base Frequency 650 MHz 650 MHz

Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.15 GHz 1.15 GHz

Intel® Quick Sync Video Yes Yes

Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology Yes Yes

Intel® Wireless Display Yes Yes

Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) Yes Yes

Intel® Clear Video HD Technology Yes Yes

Expansion Options

PCI Express Revision 3.0 3.0

PCI Express Configurations 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 & 2x4 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 & 2x4

Package Specifications

Max CPU Configuration 1 1

TCASE 67.4°C 67.4°C

Package Size 37.5mm x 37.5mm 37.5mm x 37.5mm

Advanced Technologies

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology Yes No

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 2.0

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No No

Intel® Trusted Execution Technology No No

Intel® 64 Yes Yes

Idle States Yes Yes

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology Yes Yes

Thermal Monitoring Technologies Yes Yes

Execute Disable Bit Yes Yes

Anyone can go to the intel.com site and compare any processor against each other Link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/comparison-chart.html

Editor does not allow tables so its kind of jacked up, sorry

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

if you disable hyperthreading on an i7, its the same chip as an i5 to all intents and purposes. the extra threads are only of use to programs that can use them, which 99% of the time isn't games. you'd only buy an i7 because you were running applications that can use the extra threads, otherwise its dead money.

if you disable hyperthreading on an i7' date=' its the same chip as an i5 to all intents and purposes. the extra threads are only of use to programs that can use them, which 99% of the time isn't games. you'd only buy an i7 because you were running applications that can use the extra threads, otherwise its dead money.[/quote']

Nope. If you read above i7 3770K is still better than the i5 3570K

Cache 8.0 MB 6.0 MB

Bus/Core Ratio 35 34

if you disable hyperthreading on an i7' date=' its the same chip as an i5 to all intents and purposes. the extra threads are only of use to programs that can use them, which 99% of the time isn't games. you'd only buy an i7 because you were running applications that can use the extra threads, otherwise its dead money.[/quote']

Cache 8.0 MB 6.0 MB

Bus/Core Ratio 35 34

The stock clock speeds and turbo ratios mean nothing, since you probably will be overclocking, and I really doubt the cache will affect gaming significantly; it barely matters if you are running benchmarks, AFAIK.

Cache 8.0 MB 6.0 MB

Bus/Core Ratio 35 34

The stock clock speeds and turbo ratios mean nothing' date=' since you probably will be overclocking, and I really doubt the cache will affect gaming significantly; it barely matters if you are running benchmarks, AFAIK.[/quote']

Well the OP is about straight up i7 vs i5, he did mention someone else saying i5 was solely for gaming but I also listed out processors are to process and not made for one task. Cache matter a lot, gaming or not.