Smart glass on computers

Why has noone ever built a computer with frosted smart glass side panels before? The idea hit me yesterday and it seems pretty cool to me! 

Say, you have a 900D and you replace the side window panel with black smart glass, so when the computer is not powered on it looks like it has no side window, its all just a black plate like the other side of the case. But when you turn on the computer and power the glass it suddenly goes transparant, revealing all your slick custom watercooling and stuff inside. I am going to build this next year for sure! :D

Video demo for those who have not seen the concept.

http://vimeo.com/81322879

Would any of you want to try this?

the cpu would say: "night, day, night, day....."

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

isin't it just. an lcd ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

My PC is on all the time practically, so this would be pointless for me, but it's still a good idea. Their website : http://www.smarttint.com/ reminds me of JML product adverts on TV, and the website looks a little sketchy too.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

isin't it just. an lcd ?

Yes in simple terms, it's just liquid crystal that's suspended between two panes of glass, when a voltage is applied the glass goes clear by aligning the crystals, it also depends on the type since there are a variety of different types of smart glass.

Why has noone ever built a computer with frosted smart glass side panels before? The idea hit me yesterday and it seems pretty cool to me! 

Say, you have a 900D and you replace the side window panel with black smart glass, so when the computer is not powered on it looks like it has no side window, its all just a black plate like the other side of the case. But when you turn on the computer and power the glass it suddenly goes transparant, revealing all your slick custom watercooling and stuff inside. I am going to build this next year for sure! :D

I would love to see how this works out, I have seen it applied in homes before so I don't see why it wouldn't be as amazing in the computer as it is in a house, this is kind of similar to the one way glass I've seen others do where when you turn on the computer the LED's inside light up and make the glass turned into a smoked/tinted pane to let you see inside.

At $80 a square foot, I don't think many people would consider it.

If it came down to $10 a square foot I'd have it on every window in my house...

At $80 a square foot, I don't think many people would consider it.

If it came down to $10 a square foot I'd have it on every window in my house...

He's doing it on maybe two square feet though

Id love to see how this works out though, keep us posted!

I believe there is a tint you can apply with the same affect for much less

But that is the problem, it would be $160 which is just too much IMO.

I'm not sure if other companies are producing it, but Aeon Labs has been promising the tint would be released "soon" for about 3 years now.

yeah the cost is crazy to even consider for normal modders. But it would be baller status if someone actually does it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see how this works out, I have seen it applied in homes before so I don't see why it wouldn't be as amazing in the computer as it is in a house, this is kind of similar to the one way glass I've seen others do where when you turn on the computer the LED's inside light up and make the glass turned into a smoked/tinted pane to let you see inside.

Today I bought a corsair 250D case, and I will be adding smart glass (if i can find a good place to buy from) to the top window in december! Will post pictures when im done :) Since the window is so small its gonna be affordable enough ;)

I think its gonna look really good. I got a 250D, with the ASUS Z97I-PLUS, R9 290X ROG Matrix, Corsair Dominator Platinum and H100 coler. 

This is easier:

its a mirror, that turns transparent like glass when the lights inside the case go on.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 8 years later...
On 11/12/2014 at 12:34 PM, synKas said:

I just had the same idea, it brought me here. I was trying to see if anyone has done this. I think it would be awesome. You could even have it white tempered and it turns clear and still have different colored LED's for backlighting. You could maybe make it flash in patterns, or turn clear with a certain combo of buttons on the keyboard?

3 hours ago, Antiwoke said:

I just had the same idea, it brought me here. I was trying to see if anyone has done this. I think it would be awesome. You could even have it white tempered and it turns clear and still have different colored LED's for backlighting. You could maybe make it flash in patterns, or turn clear with a certain combo of buttons on the keyboard?

Original post was about 8 1/2 years ago, lol.

My thought is, I've had all custom-ed up cases in the past. It got annoying to keep it clean, working over time, and eventually just got all banged up from moving it around to LANs and the like (yes I still do them). Also, most of the time, I just kept the lights off cuz it became distracting so it became a waste of money.

If you're going to keep it as a showpiece, sure, but after all the initial "ohhs-ahhs"; I would think having a whole flashing display on your side panel would eventually get distracting then switched off. At that point, it just becomes wasted money.

Main: 5900X | RTX 3070 | Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite | 32GB DDR4-3600 | 1TB SN750 + 2TB WD SATA SSD

WinXP: Ph2 945 | GTX 750 Ti | Asus M4A79XTD-EVO | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 320GB WD HDD

DOS/Win95: 200MMX | S3 Trio64v2/DX + Diamond Monster 3D | Asus P5-99VM | 64MB PC100 | 80GB IDE HDD

Apple IIe Enh.: 65C02 | 64K RAM | 2xDisk II | SSC - Post