Android "L" 5.0 Factory Image leaks ahead of time for the Nexus 7 2012 (Nakasi/Grouper)

harrynowl

So the factory image for the Nexus 7 2012 has leaked ahead of time based on a tip sent to Android Police.

Other than the brand new Nexus 6 & 9 this is the first Nexus device to "receive" an Android 5.0 update.

Android Lollipop has slowly but surely been making its way to the latest devices over the past several days. In addition to Google posting Android Lollipop factory images for the Nexus 9 and Nexus Player last week, developers have unofficially ported Android Lollipop to the Nexus 4, 5, 7, 10, Sony Xperia Z, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Samsung Galaxy S III Mini.

nexus-7-android-lollipop-4.png?w=172&h=2
nexus-7-android-lollipop-3.png?w=172&h=2
nexus-7-android-lollipop-2.png?w=172&h=2
nexus-7-2012-android-lollipop-1.png?w=17

LG recently announced that its flagship LG G3 smartphone will begin receiving the Android Lollipop update this week, starting in Poland and moving its way to other key markets in the near future. Meanwhile, HTC confirmed that Android Lollipop will be available for both the HTC One (M8) and HTC One (M7) in less than 90 days from now. Most recently, Motorola announced that its new Moto G is getting in on the action.

Android Police notes that the factory image may have a bootloader image problem, which may cause a signature mismatch when you try to flash it. “It doesn't matter, though,” the report adds, “because the version included here is 4.23, which is over a year old. You most likely already have that bootloader on your device. If it gives you problems in fastboot, just skip it and flash system.img and boot.img. Those are the two that matter.”

In terms of the performance on this device, hopefully it's quite good. I've run unofficial versions of Android 5.0 on my Nexus 5 and was really impressed. However in terms of hardware the aging Nexus 7 hasn't fared as well as other devices, suffering from slow flash performance (somewhat improved with the introduction of fstrim in 4.3). And with a 1.2GHz Cortex A9 and 1GB of RAM it never really topped benchmarks (then again, it was £159).

I'll be trying this on my Nexus 7 2012 later. Please note this is only for the Wi-Fi version of the board. Don't flash this on ANY other Nexus. 

Performance impressions: Seems pretty good so far, animations pretty solid, apps open quickly, scrolling is much improved (I think we thank ART for that) and general OS responsiveness is snappy.

You will need to use fastboot. You can flash manually or use the flash all batch file. I'm sure someone will make a flashable zip version.

Download link: here

Mirror: here

Original article: http://9to5google.com/2014/11/11/android-lollipop-for-nexus-7-factory-image/

I'm aware a "news post" already exists on this topic. But it's just a link to the download and doesn't follow the posting guidelines.

My first tech news/reviews post :P

To be fair it is kinda expected that they get these updates fast considering it is a nexus device, I'm just waiting for Cyanogen to update to it so I can have it on my OnePlus One. 

Edit: and as I typed this post a system update for my Oneplus arrived...

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

To be fair it is kinda expected that they get these updates fast considering it is a nexus device, I'm just waiting for Cyanogen to update to it so I can have it on my OnePlus One. 

Edit: and as I typed this post a system update for my Oneplus arrived...

Well any news about a release for the 2012 N7 was pretty non-existent and it is out of the 18 month support window now, so I was surprised to see it arrive :)

my concerns were real

devices are still stuck on older kernels

i really wanted 3.10 on my nexus 5 :(

nexus 7 still using ancient 3.1.10

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

my concerns were real

devices are still stuck on older kernels

i really wanted 3.10 on my nexus 5 :(

nexus 7 still using ancient 3.1.10

Some folks at XDA are working on the 3.4 Kernel source from nvidia for the Tegra 3, they have a runnable build going I believe, the aim is to make it mergeable so other custom kernels can be 3.4.

I have the 2013 version of the nexus 7 which is really unfortunate since I want to test this out.

I have the 2013 version of the nexus 7 which is really unfortunate since I want to test this out.

I'd expect launch is imminent. I heard the 12th floating around somewhere, which is today.

Awesome! Keep it coming..

Usually when I find news online and check here someones beats me :P, as a lot of the news is from US sources and I might be asleep etc :(

Nexus 4 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

Usually when I find news online and check here someones beats me :P, as a lot of the news is from US sources and I might be asleep etc :(

yeah, i know.. especially with the LTT Search function, google is more accurate, plus if tagged well it can save you a lot of trouble :P

Details separate people.

yeah, i know.. especially with the LTT Search function, google is more accurate, plus if tagged well it can save you a lot of trouble :P

I don't think anyone used tags, but I tried to use a fairly descriptive title instead of "nexus 7 android 5.0 download" :P

I'd expect launch is imminent. I heard the 12th floating around somewhere, which is today.

awesome, I can't wait.