[Noob Question] What language should I learn?

iHacker3000

Hey guys,

in the last few years I started to develop simple application in VB.NET. The most advanced I got was I MySQL-backed TCP-ip ghetto-encrypted chat.

Now I want to do something better bigger and so on. I dreamt since I was a kid about making games and I have a few cool ideas on my mind. In school I have Computer Science Higher Level, in which I learn java. Could you recommend any language to learn in order to create games, or should I stick to Java and VB.NET?

Thank you all in advance :)

CPU: i7 3770k @4.0 GHz - Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V - Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 680 4GB - RAM: 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Low Profil RAM (DDR3) - PSU: XFX Pro 850W -Storage: 850Pro + some old HDDs - Case: Sharkoon T28

I started with javascript (dont be fooled, its nothing like java) and then moved on to java.

Use codeacademy for python and js.

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

When you are planning on making a game it is possibly the best that you learn an engine instead, otherwise Java is a good choice for simpler games, C# might work out better in terms of performance, but it is more difficult to master AFAIK.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

When you are planning on making a game it is possibly the best that you learn an engine instead, otherwise Java is a good choice for simpler games, C# might work out better in terms of performance, but it is more difficult to master AFAIK.

One can say the words "C# certainly pounds Java into the dirt". That said, as with all languages those words depend on the situation/context. Moreover a beginner should be very mindful in regards to performance. In C# there's a lot of syntactic sugar one can potentially fall foul to. Therefore it helps to have a detailed understanding of what's going on at the lower levels and to always question everything.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

C#/Java. They're virtually the same language when it comes to syntaxing, and they're both very powerful and easy to learn.

I might be wrong.

Thanks guys for all your answers.

I think for now I will stick to Java and in a few month I will probably start to look at C#

CPU: i7 3770k @4.0 GHz - Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V - Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 680 4GB - RAM: 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX Low Profil RAM (DDR3) - PSU: XFX Pro 850W -Storage: 850Pro + some old HDDs - Case: Sharkoon T28

learn java, make android games, they have easy access so you can put everything onto the market and learn from your mistakes

once your good enough learn c++ 

idk why ppl keep saying use c# i am a game developer and i would never use c#, Id also never use java if not for easy experience making android games.

why would you suggest a game hes asking about learning programming. Powerful games are made with c++. Engines is what ppl use when they dont know programming and dont want to really learn anything

why would you suggest a game hes asking about learning programming. Powerful games are made with c++. Engines is what ppl use when they dont know programming and dont want to really learn anything

The point was that if he wanted to simply make a game, the best course of action is to learnt how to make that game for an already functional engine, it is faster, more efficient, and usually has a higher success rate.

Yes you can make a good game and engine by starting from the ground up, but you will need tons of expertise!

As much as one might have a background in the field, it might be best to make use of what others have created for people like him to use, wanting to make everything from scratch will not lead to good results in a short amount of time.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

The point was that if he wanted to simply make a game, the best course of action is to learnt how to make that game for an already functional engine, it is faster, more efficient, and usually has a higher success rate.

Yes you can make a good game and engine by starting from the ground up, but you will need tons of expertise!

As much as one might have a background in the field, it might be best to make use of what others have created for people like him to use, wanting to make everything from scratch will not lead to good results in a short amount of time.

I suggest he goes to kilobolt and follow there tutorials, whilst learning java. He can make tons of android games and put them on the market and learn a heck of a lot more doing that then dicking around with engines. 

My senior year of college we had a group that was tasked with remaking a game that a client wanted that was originally done with Unity. we used java and opengeles 1.1. during the presentation everybody was asking omg what engine is that the graphics look amazing. that was me working with what i had in opengles 1.1 (no shaders) I learned so much in that course BECAUSE i fought hard not to use an engine like the last group did. We took our existing framework of a measly 10,000 lines of code, well over 50,000. Of course at the time the framework was Object oriented and I have since left OOP for entity systems. 

but i guess its really up to OP, if you want everything handed to you and want to easily make a game or too then sure use an engine.

if you actually want to learn and see the guts of a game and develop a framework you can reuse then use code. again java first for some easy android games but C++ is where the money is at.

fyi the other group in our class used UDK 2014 and there project sucked, they could not coordinate amongs the 6 of them and they also didnt really need all the "power" udk has to offer. it was a waste