Just a random question?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

I have been thinking of this question for a while, but not having the hardware has prevented me from trying it. 

I know it sounds stupid, totally impractical, and should never be done for storage due to the un-reliability. 

Can you Raid 0 a Raid 0. 

An example being, 2 3TB drives in one Raid 0 and 2 more 3TB drives in another Raid 0. Can you then Raid those two Raid Arrays together?

It's completely throwing what RAID is out the window as Raid is all about redundancy, hence the R. I was just wandering If it is possible and what performance you would get if using SSD's.

Hey Alexp10v2,

What would you aim for by RAIDing two separate RAIDs? RAID 0 between 2 drives splits all data in two and evenly writes on both drives. Combining two RAID 0 setups would split the already split data in 2 more parts. That is pretty much what would happen if you put 4 drives in a single RAID 0 array. You can do a RAID 0 from two other RAID 0 setups but you would need either a separate RAID card for the second RAID or do it with software. Creating the two separate RAID levels would cause the speed to be slower compared to one whole 4-disk RAID 0 as the information would need to be processed twice (for the separation and distribution of the data.
Combinations like this exist in other types of RAID such as RAID 10, RAID 01, RAID 50, RAID 60, etc. where data is first given redundancy and then striped or vice versa. :)

RAID 0 is considered a RAID because it is still an array of drives, working together, appearing as one whole volume. The redundancy part does not exist with this type of RAID (maybe that's why they put it as a 0), but it still belongs to the category of array of drives, working together to for a single volume storage space. :)

Hope that clears it a bit,

Captain_WD.

PS: An easy and inexpensive way to experiment with RAID is to use flash drives with a USB hub. :)

I have been thinking of this question for a while, but not having the hardware has prevented me from trying it. 

I know it sounds stupid, totally impractical, and should never be done for storage due to the un-reliability. 

Can you Raid 0 a Raid 0. 

An example being, 2 3TB drives in one Raid 0 and 2 more 3TB drives in another Raid 0. Can you then Raid those two Raid Arrays together?

It's completely throwing what RAID is out the window as Raid is all about redundancy, hence the R. I was just wandering If it is possible and what performance you would get if using SSD's.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

AGH!

I don't see how you'd manage the second layer of raid. If you could somehow set it up it would definitely work.

If you had 2 raid cards raid 0'ing as one disk per card, then you could probably do it I suppose.

Sig under construction.

You can raid all of them same array and in raid 0 and you will have better performance.

You cant add more layers.

basic raid0 with 2 discs:

x

|

--------

|        |

1       2

your idea:

y

|

----------------------

|                          |

x1                       x2

--------                  --------

|        |                 |        |

1       2                3       4

but by nature of how raid0 works your idea is converted to this:

y

|

--------------------- 

|        |        |        |

1       2        3       4

Raid is all about redundancy, hence the R.

Is RAID 0 a RAID?

Is that why it is 0  (there is NO redundancy)?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

AGH!

I don't see how you'd manage the second layer of raid. If you could somehow set it up it would definitely work.

If you had 2 raid cards raid 0'ing as one disk per card, then you could probably do it I suppose.

As I said, I know it's stupid, but I don't know if its possible, lol. I don't want to try it. I'm just curious. I want to see someone try it.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Is RAID 0 a RAID?

Is that why it is 0  (there is NO redundancy)?

Technically no, but the R does stand for redundancy, or Redundant, I should say. So why does everyone call it a RAID 0 still. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Technically no, but the R does stand for redundancy, or Redundant, I should say. So why does everyone call it a RAID 0 still. 

It's easier to associate disk arrays with RAID and calling it AID 0 sounds weird. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's easier to associate disk arrays with RAID and calling it AID 0 sounds weird. 

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

I've always wondered the same thing about a possible RAID 66 array...

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

You can raid all of them same array and in raid 0 and you will have better performance.

You cant add more layers.

basic raid0 with 2 discs:

x

|

--------

|        |

1       2

your idea:

y

|

----------------------

x1                       x2

--------                  --------

|        |                 |        |

1       2                3       4

but by nature of how raid0 works your idea is converted to this:

y

|

--------------------- 

|        |        |        |

1       2        3       4

Nice explanation. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

So why does everyone call it a RAID 0 still. 

Maybe they use the zero to intimate that it is outwith the actual RAID canon?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Can you Raid 0 a Raid 0. 

Hey Alexp10v2,

What would you aim for by RAIDing two separate RAIDs? RAID 0 between 2 drives splits all data in two and evenly writes on both drives. Combining two RAID 0 setups would split the already split data in 2 more parts. That is pretty much what would happen if you put 4 drives in a single RAID 0 array. You can do a RAID 0 from two other RAID 0 setups but you would need either a separate RAID card for the second RAID or do it with software. Creating the two separate RAID levels would cause the speed to be slower compared to one whole 4-disk RAID 0 as the information would need to be processed twice (for the separation and distribution of the data.
Combinations like this exist in other types of RAID such as RAID 10, RAID 01, RAID 50, RAID 60, etc. where data is first given redundancy and then striped or vice versa. :)

RAID 0 is considered a RAID because it is still an array of drives, working together, appearing as one whole volume. The redundancy part does not exist with this type of RAID (maybe that's why they put it as a 0), but it still belongs to the category of array of drives, working together to for a single volume storage space. :)

Captain_WD.

PS: An easy and inexpensive way to experiment with RAID is to use flash drives with a USB hub. :)

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Alexp10v2,

Captain_WD.

PS: An easy way and inexpensive way to experiment with RAID is to use flash drives with a USB Hub

Thanks for the response.

I was just just curious to see if it was possible. I have no intention of doing it. It's just a question I have been thinking of. 

Thanks for also clarifying why people still associate a RAID 0 as a RAID. I knew the redundancy goes with a RAID 0 array, but I did not know why it was still called a RAID.

PS: An easy way and inexpensice way to experiment with RAID is to use flash drives with a USB Hub

Thanks for the idea about the USB drives. I never thought about doing it that way for experimentation. That's something for me to try when I get my desktop back.  

Thanks again. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Thanks for the response.

I was just just curious to see if it was possible. I have no intention of doing it. It's just a question I have been thinking of. 

Thanks for also clarifying why people still associate a RAID 0 as a RAID. I knew the redundancy goes with a RAID 0 array, but I did not know why it was still called a RAID.

Thanks for the idea about the USB drives. I never thought about doing it that way for experimentation. That's something for me to try when I get my desktop back.  

Thanks again. 

You are welcome :) RAID storage is a vast topic and IMHO has a lot of potential and we have yet to see stock RAID sollutions for both internal and external hard drives and SSDs. I tested the WD My Passport Pro and I have to say I am very impressed by what such a portable RAID solution offers. In case you are interested, here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1240.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/