Assassin's Creed: Unity performance on PC

christianled59

So after cancelling my pre order I just couldn't resist and got the game anyways I know shame on me :/ but I got it at least for 5€ less.
The performance is really weird it runs like butter maxed out without AA on my GTX670 but my cousin can barely hold 24fps on his GTX770.
The only thing that I did was use Adaptive V-sync instead of normal V-sync and I turned the game to 30hz so the fps don't jump around.
I also saw people on reddit reporting that going in offline mode in Uplay increased the performance dramatically for tons of people.(I didn't test it my self, yet)

RTX2070OC 

Youre running at 4k? I'm quite jealous. Im struggling to play at 1080p. Still, considering your specs, you should be running it better.

Yeah, i capped it to 30 fps at 4k with all settings max and aa off. I get the very rare dip below 30 to about 20-26 but the framerate is totally solid in combat etc which is when it really counts.

Just here to report my performance with:

FX 8320 @ 4.2 GHz

8GB 2133MHz

Windforce OC 280X

30 fps on low 

30 fps on ultra FXAA

usual dips to 20ish and up to 40 in closed areas on both settings

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

Just here to report my performance with:

FX 8320 @ 4.2 GHz

8GB 2133MHz

Windforce OC 280X

30 fps on low 

30 fps on ultra FXAA

usual dips to 20ish and up to 40 in closed areas on both settings

Good to know, just about to test mine which is pretty much the same (but more ram). Results will follow.

Also its downloaded a patch here so who knows, 2 days they might have actually addressed those bugs.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

with my g3258@4,7ghz, 8gb 1866 ram, gtx670 overclocked well passed 680(with custom bios and water cooler):1080p everything maxed except for high textures and aa is off i get 30-42fps no stuttering, only dips below 30 when a cutscene starts

Well, did a fixed run in the first bit with Arno (adult) though not saying where (spoilers) idea was to get some big scenery and plenty of people.
Fraps recording the average over that trying to keep as close as possible to the same actions:
Low = 30fps
Medium = 26fps
High = 18fps

CPU over that time averaged 45%
GPU load never went above 90%, and comparing the operating temp to playing tomb raider that's AMD optimised, its not having all its hardware used at all, barely breaking 50*c when TR would be clocking 65*c.

Conclusion though I am no expert, they haven't put a thought into AMD. Though the CPU is getting all its 8 cores used, its pretty certain the GPU is not.

And its had 2x 800Mb patches already today.

Actual game play, its dropping frames really bad in all modes, that at casual observation is consistent across those 3 settings and that run, which in a straight line should have no issue. And its actually putting me off playing as deliberately got in a few scraps already and when you are swinging the view point about to see the enemies and you are loosing that info, they quickly knock your health down being unable to parry. Looks like its going to collect dust for the time being while the work the bugs out unless a work around can be found by people or myself.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

I would be questioning your system more then the game. I get 60-80% usage (which is in line with things like crysis and battlefield 4) on my I7. My father gets around the same as does my friend on his I5 so either there is something wrong in your system somewhere or you have some terrible luck. Also i would check that attitude. This thread was made for discussions just such as these so if you dont like it then maybe you should find another thread to be in.

I run a 4670k at 4.4GHz. I get, on all cores, 20-30% usage. Sometimes it might go up to 40-50%. There is nothing wrong with my system.

Attitude? Only people with the said "attitude" found "attitude" on post the same way a malicious person sees malice in everything; you talk as i haven't contributed before to this topic. And i don't care about your BF4 or crysis.

The talk was about ACU, and people were talking about cpu oc's when the game doesn't even use the cpu's properly. For a person who is actually IN the topic, would promptly understand that i meant that the fps differences have nothing to with with the overclock.

Actual game play, its dropping frames really bad in all modes, that at casual observation is consistent across those 3 settings and that run, which in a straight line should have no issue. And its actually putting me off playing as deliberately got in a few scraps already and when you are swinging the view point about to see the enemies and you are loosing that info, they quickly knock your health down being unable to parry. Looks like its going to collect dust for the time being while the work the bugs out unless a work around can be found by people or myself.

have you tried turning off all of the online play options (or putting uplay into offline mode) to see if that helps?  I've heard that it helps but haven't see anyone specifically confirm.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

have you tried turning off all of the online play options (or putting uplay into offline mode) to see if that helps?  I've heard that it helps but haven't see anyone specifically confirm.

Will give it a shot, aside from testing the game not really played so should be able to do a like for like test. Will let you know what I find.

Edit: Nope same problems. Was worth a shot.

Subsequently, I came across these links:

http://in2gpu.com/2014/11/14/assassins-creed-unity-performance-guide/ (bit of a rant but its tested the options to see where it chokes).

http://wccftech.com/ubisoft-points-finger-amd-technical-bugs-assassins-creed-unity/ (which points to DX11 and Unity operating outside it, which makes for an interesting read).

i5  4460,  gtx 970 :on ultra i  have 35-50 fps, but im only  30mins into the  game

cutscene  it drops to 30 fps

Righty, AMD in my research on the BETA of Catalyst we apparently have some some optimisations for AC.

The release notes. 
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-1BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

Hummm, have 2x R7-250's laying about for other projects, might throw them in and test in crossfire.

I run a 4670k at 4.4GHz. I get, on all cores, 20-30% usage. Sometimes it might go up to 40-50%. There is nothing wrong with my system.

Attitude? Only people with the said "attitude" found "attitude" on post the same way a malicious person sees malice in everything; you talk as i haven't contributed before to this topic. And i don't care about your BF4 or crysis.

The talk was about ACU, and people were talking about cpu oc's when the game doesn't even use the cpu's properly. For a person who is actually IN the topic, would promptly understand that i meant that the fps differences have nothing to with with the overclock.

Well... I can say i have tested and seen an fps difference with and without the oc. The game is making use of my cpu just fine. It may not make use of your cpu the way you want it to but its been making perfectly good use of mine with usage being around the standard for most of my gaming.

Well... I can say i have tested and seen an fps difference with and without the oc. The game is making use of my cpu just fine. It may not make use of your cpu the way you want it to but its been making perfectly good use of mine with usage being around the standard for most of my gaming.

it's whatever... I wanted to try the "internet off fix" for it, to see if it worked better but completly lost will and uninstalled. All i'm interested in AC is the story. Since the game was unplayable, i went to youtube and watched all the cut scenes. i'm done with this sht

Anyone know a fix for 16:10? The blackbars are killing me! Also, I'm getting 34-50FPS all ultra no AA and textures on high with my GTX770. In cutscenes it drops to 14FPS and is terrible. Also, the texures on high are terrible too and with so much geometry aliasing is awful! FXAA makes everything a blurry mess, and any other AA tanks the framerate to 12FPS

edit:

nqpxna.png

rmwknn.png

vghsuk.jpg

There are huge dips in gpu usage during cutscenes, meaning it could be insufficient VRAM, and/or huge cpu bottleneck. CPU is phenom II 945, so there is a bottleneck for sure.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles.”

from http://in2gpu.com/2014/11/14/assassins-creed-unity-performance-guide/

The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles.”

from http://in2gpu.com/2014/11/14/assassins-creed-unity-performance-guide/

I agree completely. But did they not show us a beautiful game during E3? Lol. Everything I heard about this game being very demanding and graphically superior against all other games released and after seeing the crap of a game it is, I now know that Ubisoft does nothing but lie to us.

The game has the ability to be very nice, At 4k max settings it looks fantastic heck, Even 2560x1440p with 2xmsaa looks pretty freaking great to. It may not be the most graphically superior but it looks pretty nice regardless. As pissed off as i am by the performance of this title im still enjoying it. I hope to hell and back far cry 4 isnt as broken or ill be pretty pissed off.

I agree completely. But did they not show us a beautiful game during E3? Lol. Everything I heard about this game being very demanding and graphically superior against all other games released and after seeing the crap of a game it is, I now know that Ubisoft does nothing but lie to us.

The game looks just as good as it did at E3.

Screenshot I made and this is with crappy FXAA :

gallery_24650_1098_20975.jpeg

RTX2070OC 

The game looks just as good as it did at E3.

-snip-

Screenshot I made and this is with crappy FXAA :

I agree, The game looks fantastic. People are just hating because they wanna fallow the "cool" ubisoft hate train

I agree, The game looks fantastic. People are just hating because they wanna fallow the "cool" ubisoft hate train

I agree the game looks good only if there was not: Performance problems, glitches aglore, bugs,rendering errors, bad crashing, only uplifting about the game is the 20fps cinematic experience... looks can deceiving.

As for me I do not "Hate" Ubisoft infact I want many of their games but I refuse to support their horrible practices that are on top of the dreaded Uplay which is Uwait when games release most times.

the reasoning there is mass amount of crap thrown at Ubisoft is because they are doing what we dont want and keep digging them selves deeper

Esn6dXv.gif

They have said 30FPS is cinematic, 60fps feels weird, females are too hard and so on... That is why Ubisoft is being slapped around like silly for their mistakes. 

Unity placed a horrible embargo to hide their games massive problems it was to get as many day one purchases they could get.

That is why I will never buy a game without reviews no matter because publishers cannot be trusted as they are after their bottom line and care not that you get burned.

and Ubisoft has the unfortunate to be the one falling down the stairs. as they fumble and tumble.

I agree the game looks good only if there was not: Performance problems, glitches aglore, bugs,rendering errors, bad crashing, only uplifting about the game is the 20fps cinematic experience... looks can deceiving.

As for me I do not "Hate" Ubisoft infact I want many of their games but I refuse to support their horrible practices that are on top of the dreaded Uplay which is Uwait when games release most times.

the reasoning there is mass amount of crap thrown at Ubisoft is because they are doing what we dont want and keep digging them selves deeper

-snip-

They have said 30FPS is cinematic, 60fps feels weird, females are too hard and so on... That is why Ubisoft is being slapped around like silly for their mistakes. 

Unity placed a horrible embargo to hide their games massive problems it was to get as many day one purchases they could get.

That is why I will never buy a game without reviews no matter because publishers cannot be trusted as they are after their bottom line and care not that you get burned.

and Ubisoft has the unfortunate to be the one falling down the stairs. as they fumble and tumble.

I find it funny i hear all these complaints about the rendering errors and whatnot yet here i am happily playing in 4k........

I find it funny i hear all these complaints about the rendering errors and whatnot yet here i am happily playing in 4k........

I wonder what you have in your pc and what frames you are getting because everyone else seems to be having a horrible experience.