Thoughts on this PSU

Columbo

Thoughts on this PSU? I need at least 700w. For those who have higher end graphics cards, they know why. I just ran a test after my PSU melted down short of an electrical fire. The 460w backup doesn't have the power to crank up the party. It's like the little train that thought it could but fails to light a flame or torch.

I don't want to waste much money on a PSU. I have strong opinions on PSU's, I think that market segment is a racket. Most manufacturers are gaphics card or memory makers. My last PSU was made by a memory maker.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152047&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

I ended up with this one below...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025&utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111114&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111114-_-EMC-111114-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438025-S2A6C

EVGA G2 750/850W. You cannot get better except for the AX series which is overpriced just for platinum rating

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

you're better off getting the EVGA 750W

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

They aren't even makers. There are only a handful of reputable manufacturers and a sea of rebrands.

Edit: EVGA G2 is made by SuperFlower which is a very respected PSU manufacturer. Dunno who makes that Raidmax, but I avoid Raidmax products.

They aren't even makers. There are only a handful of reputable manufacturers and a sea of rebrands.

Edit: EVGA G2 is made by SuperFlower which is a very respected PSU manufacturer. Dunno who makes that Raidmax, but I avoid Raidmax products.

Perhaps the funniest post I have read in quite some time. You don't know who makes them but you avoid their products.

I pulled the trigger and went with EVGA. Newegg had a fire sale price for me that just arrived minutes ago in my newegg newsletter. The 750W SuperNova 80+ Bronze certified with a 5 year warranty. Plus a $20 rebate which is known in Canada as 20 loonies or 10 toonies. In America, it's just $20 bucks. Which means my out of pocket cost is $60 -$20 rebate that usually takes a month or more to receive one of those gift cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438025&utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111114&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111114-_-EMC-111114-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17438025-S2A6C

60 United States Dollar (USD) is equal to 106.806 Netherlands Antillean Guilder (ANG)

60 United States Dollar (USD) is equal to 48.282 Euro (EUR)
60 United States Dollar (USD) is equal to 37.8119 British Pounds Sterling (GBP)
USD-GBP Exchange Rate of 0.6302 as of 09:34:21

How any Americans take the time to use the free Bloomberg Box to run real time currency conversions? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the funniest post I have read in quite some time. You don't know who makes them but you avoid their products.

The thing is, though. It's because I don't know who the actual maker of that unit is why I wouldn't recommend. Well, that and their cases are garish. ;)

Besides, I don't have much faith in a budget brand to choose a quality OEM to begin with, it's only a logical decision to assume cheaper parts are what the unit is made of.

The thing is, though. It's because I don't know who the actual maker of that unit is why I wouldn't recommend. Well, that and their cases are garish. ;)

Besides, I don't have much faith in a budget brand to choose a quality OEM to begin with, it's only a logical decision to assume cheaper parts are what the unit is made of.

What is your take on the EVGA I ordered?

What is your take on the EVGA I ordered?

Should be decent. The higher end Evga G2 SuperNova 80+ gold is one of the most respected units currently. Its little brother should be built to a nice spec. Do report how that goes! 

Should be decent. The higher end Evga G2 SuperNova 80+ gold is one of the most respected units currently. Its little brother should be built to a nice spec. Do report how that goes! 

Will do. I am glad the OCZ died a peaceful and smelly death.

The EVGA Supernova Bronze 750W B1 is built by FSP so it doesn't really compare to the Superflower based units. It is ok for $40 if you are on a tight budget though.

The EVGA Supernova Bronze 750W B1 is built by FSP so it doesn't really compare to the Superflower based units. It is ok for $40 if you are on a tight budget though.

I realize the power supply business is like gold.