Static Electricity

Go to solution Solved by Semper,

Welcome to the forum. I like to this that this community is pretty great. Now.. on to your questions:

1. Yes. Just make sure it's grounded.

2. Because of number 1, no.

3. Follow number one. You'll be OK.

An ESD strap is just an extra layer of precaution, hardware today is fairly resistant.

Hello community,

I am 100% new here (from the UK if that makes any difference), I literally made my account a few minutes ago. However I have been watching the Linus Tech tips videos over the last month or so in preparation for my first PC build. I have watched so many videos that its hard to find new ones, I really enjoy the content put out by this company. I have also heard that the community here is awesome!

So here I am and I wanted to ask a question, which I'm sure has been answered several times, but I wanted to ask it again anyhow.

I have ordered all my part for my new PC and the rest of it should be coming in Tomorrow or Wednesday (touch wood). However I have recently come to realise that the 'Anti Static Wristband' that I bought on amazon is due to come in almost 3 weeks after everything has arrived. I'm simply not going to wait that long.

My room has carper all over and the the only other place that doesn't have carpet is my kitchen. Unfortunately I share the kitchen with four other people and I don't want to be taking up space for 3 hours or to have them walking around and possibly damaging parts or making it harder for me to build my rig.

What are the safest precautions I should be taking when putting this thing together (in my room on a wooden table).

1) Is it sufficient for me to touch the case often and periodically?

2) Would you suggest I 'macgyver' up myself some sort of antistat protection? 

3) What would you guys suggest I do in my situation?

Thank you for your time in reading this, I look forward to some feedback :)

Rod

I build my PC on carpet and had no issues. But I was being silly, to ground yourself I think you just touch the power supply when the power supply is plugged in. Or get an antistatic wrist/ankle strap. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Does your room have carpeting? If it doesn't, and you're using a wooden table, static electricity is less of an issue. Also, I would personally suggest getting an antistatic wrist strap and connecting it to the PSU with the switch off and plugged into the wall.(Alternatively, you can just touch the PSU every now and again)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Welcome to the forum. I like to this that this community is pretty great. Now.. on to your questions:

1. Yes. Just make sure it's grounded.

2. Because of number 1, no.

3. Follow number one. You'll be OK.

An ESD strap is just an extra layer of precaution, hardware today is fairly resistant.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

A few things. The wristband and the anti-static mat are recommended, but not essential. I think it's quite funny actually how Linus wears his on his ankle since the body's resistance is so high that it may as well be attached to someone else at that point. As long as you ground yourself by touching something that is grounded before you do it and avoid sources of static generation (don't do it on carpet, some people suggest derobing first but then again a certain type of person would suggest that regardless xD) you'll be fine.

never used one, never broke anything.

if you picked up a GPU say will statically charged I don't see how that would damage it, seeing as the GPU would need to be grounded and even if it was electric takes the route of least resistance which I bet isn't through a GPU out the pins and into the ground.

if it was plugged into a PC and connected to the mains then maybe, but then you need to touch the case to open it which would ground you.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

This is brilliant, I am genuinely so surprised by such rapid responses thank you!

Unfortunately my room is indeed covered in carpeting, the only thing I can really do about that is to not move about in it to much and so strip when working..... not the greatest idea admittedly.

All of your replies have really made me feel more confident about this, I think that by simply making constant contact with the case, or maybe the plugged in but turned off PSU will suffice for me 

Honestly, if you're wanting to build a rig, spend 10 bucks extra and don't risk wasting 1000 bucks.

Actually I have already bought a strap. The problem is that it's going to take more then 3 weeks to get here. Where as the rest of my components will arrive on Wednesday :/