My First Build Is Complete, But Is It Running At It's Full Potential?

These are the parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Coole
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Write
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor  ($149.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm  Fan
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Red 66.4 CFM 140mm  Fan
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse

How do I know if everything is running at its full potential or if I am missing any drivers? I feel like I may have missed something.

Also my optical drive makes strange noises when there is a CD inside.

Do what @SSOB said and about the drivers go to every part's product page and see if there are any drivers available.

i'm a potato

Did you screw in the Drive properly? It could be making strange noise because it spins the disks and the vibrations from poor mounting cause them.

Did you screw in the Drive properly? It could be making strange noise because it spins the disks and the vibrations from poor mounting cause them.

The optical drive goes in one way by sliding into the bay and clicking into place so its gotta be mounted correctly.

My first benchmark

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System Platform:

Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bitddf

CPU model:

Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3500MHz) x4

GPU model:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4460 (4095MB) x1

Settings Render:

Direct3D11

Mode:

1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen

Preset

Extreme HD

The optical drive goes in one way by sliding into the bay and clicking into place so its gotta be mounted correctly.

Oh ok, would you mind changing mounting points? Place it in the slot beneath or above, just to check if that's the issue. Does it work properly? Read fast? If it continues you should probably RMA.

Oh ok, would you mind changing mounting points? Place it in the slot beneath or above, just to check if that's the issue. Does it work properly? Read fast? If it continues you should probably RMA.

I will try the other slot later on today but the drive works but reads slowly, Also I don't know what RMA means :)

My first benchmark

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System Platform:

Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bitddf

CPU model:

Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3500MHz) x4

GPU model:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 9.18.13.4460 (4095MB) x1

Settings Render:

Direct3D11

Mode:

1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen

Preset

Extreme HD

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/10

Set it up as they did and run the test. If it's similar, then everything is fine. :)

I will try the other slot later on today but the drive works but reads slowly, Also I don't know what RMA means :)

Try it, if it's reading slowly then it is broken for sure, try another DVD if it's the same then RMA it.

RMA= return merchandise authorization. It's a short way of saying return it to the store with the warranty you have and have them give you a new one. :)

It means send it back to the dumpster where it came from ;)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

I just built an identical system, you are getting identical scores as me. If you give me a little bit I'll post a screen shot of my scores with stock speeds so you can compare.

Using a second monitor I was watching Afterburner and gpu usage, I was pegging at 100% so I know that I am at least getting all that the graphics card has to offer. Depending on the run I can get the same score as you or just a little lower such as that snapshot. I would think you are getting the most out of what you have, now unless you are doing heavy video rendering then you will do great with what you have. Cd drives are always loud, if it goes out I would just buy a new one for $20 at a local hard ware store. But if it does have a warranty use it and get another if you think it's possible it may take an important cd with it if it goes. That's my opinion, sorry for the long story.

post-111549-0-65326300-1415548690_thumb.

I just built an identical system, you are getting identical scores as me. If you give me a little bit I'll post a screen shot of my scores with stock speeds so you can compare.

Using a second monitor I was watching Afterburner and gpu usage, I was pegging at 100% so I know that I am at least getting all that the graphics card has to offer. Depending on the run I can get the same score as you or just a little lower such as that snapshot. I would think you are getting the most out of what you have, now unless you are doing heavy video rendering then you will do great with what you have. Cd drives are always loud, if it goes out I would just buy a new one for $20 at a local hard ware store. But if it does have a warranty use it and get another if you think it's possible it may take an important cd with it if it goes. That's my opinion, sorry for the long story.

Nice I have gotten basically the same results.

I got the same results without the AA. Do I even need to use AA?

Nah, it's fine, your system is running great. :)

Check in BIOS that you can see every drive/PCI/e device. Check on your CPU/GPU temps under load and idle. In control panel device manager you can see yellow triangle on parts which are missing drivers. If the performance is what you are worried about, download CPU-Z and MSI Afterburner (or similiar) and run some of stress testing software or benchmarks. Most used are 3Dmark, Unigine Heaven/Valley and Cinebench.

Also my optical drive makes strange noises when there is a CD inside.

Like its reading it :D skriiking and scratching would mean its broken. But other noises are normal.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check in BIOS that you can see every drive/PCI/e device. Check on your CPU/GPU temps under load and idle. In control panel device manager you can see yellow triangle on parts which are missing drivers. If the performance is what you are worried about, download CPU-Z and MSI Afterburner (or similiar) and run some of stress testing software or benchmarks. Most used are 3Dmark, Unigine Heaven/Valley and Cinebench.

Like its reading it :D skriiking and scratching would mean its broken. But other noises are normal.

I am going to run some tests to see what comes up.

And also it sounds worse than just reading the CD lol, I may just return it and buy a new one.