My sister's laptop is kaputt?

Ruostunut kokis
Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

If it's possble, try taking the HDD out, and plug it into a different computer.

It sounds like the HDD might be dead or dying.

So my little sister has a problem that her laptop won't boot. I checked it, apparently it doesn't see the operating system, even though my sister claims she did nothing but browse the web, didn't download anything, and she tells the screen has occasionally flashed green (?). The laptop doesn't even see the OS inside an USB flash drive, I tried recovering Windows Vista Home premium, didn't see the OS on the HDD. Tried re-installing Vista, didn't see the OS on the flash drive. I tried installing Windows 7 Professional by USB, same story. It did read the Windows 7 installation CD which I have around though, but after completing the loading of the Windows' files, it shuts down. It does boot to Linux with a live USB, but when trying to install for example Ubuntu or Zorin OS, the installer get's stuck and it won't advance forward, but the installation can be canceled at any time without lagging.

So I'm asking here, is there anything left I could do to it? Or is it done for? I'm running out of ideas and getting a new laptop is not an option with our family's budget (and I refuse to pay it by myself). For those wondering, it's an old Vista-era laptop, Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pa 2510.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This title just made my day.

My guess would be that the HDD is broken.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

or try placing another hdd in it (if you have one laying around.)

I'm not a native English speaker.
Excuse me for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes

I may not be the best person with computers but im quite smart when it comes to things like laptops. 
It sounds like the hard drive has died. What you can do is hook it up to a external enclosure and see if you can recover some of the data from it on another computer. Best option would be to get a new SATA drive, unless you really do want to get your sis a new laptop :) Goodluck!

This title just made my day.

My guess would be that the HDD is broken.

or try placing another hdd in it (if you have one laying around.)

I may not be the best person with computers but im quite smart when it comes to things like laptops. 

It sounds like the hard drive has died. What you can do is hook it up to a external enclosure and see if you can recover some of the data from it on another computer. Best option would be to get a new SATA drive, unless you really do want to get your sis a new laptop :) Goodluck!

Getting the HDD out of that laptop can be problematic (I saw it when I took out the bottom cover of the laptop to clear the fan from dust. Don't remember precisely though), and that HDD could be a IDE HDD instead of SATA HDD, and if it is, then I'm screwed. If it's a SATA HDD then I'm good, I have one cannibalized from a 10" laptop. I could try that later today.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

HDD or maybe RAM, but I suspect HDD.

Before buying anything new to replace it, just to be sure, do a memtest off of that Ubuntu Live Disk. (Assuming your Live Disk has Memtest, most do.)

Did you open the BIOS and check the boot priority?

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

HDD or maybe RAM, but I suspect HDD.

Before buying anything new to replace it, just to be sure, do a memtest off of that Ubuntu Live Disk. (Assuming your Live Disk has Memtest, most do.)

Can't find memtest anywhere.

Did you open the BIOS and check the boot priority?

Yes. It boots primarily from USB drives or CD's if present.

Can't find memtest anywhere.

Huh, alright.

I usually use LinuxLive USB Creator to make my Ubuntu Flashdrives; http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

At the startup of the disk you are presented with a menu, which also has a MemTest entry.

UPDATE: I took away the hard drive from the laptop and plugged it to my main rig via SATA to USB adapter, drive is not found. The hard drive makes clicking noise as well.

So the hard drive is dead. I'mma try if the cannibalized 250GB HDD works in that laptop.

UPDATE #2: All works now, except the keyboard is being quirky like it was before, and it still opens a new window every time you click a link, but that's another topic...