First Gaming PC build, need your thoughts.

ZWTech

The last 6 months i've spend learning about building computers and planning to build my own. I hope the components I selected are good enough and that I don't have bottlenecks or to much overkill. I'm going to use the computer for gaming and editing and my budget is around 2000$.

Components:

-CPU: Intel I5 3570K

-Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V GENE

-Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8 GB 1600 MHz

-Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout 2

-GPU XFX HD 7870 - Black Edition

-CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

-PSU: Corsair TX750M

-SSD: Samung 840 120GB

-HDD: WD Green 2TB

-Monitor: BenQ XL2420T

(- Windows 7 64 bit) I don't like Win8 so i'm going to use Win 7.

Looks pretty good, but if it were me building the computer I'd get a corsair cx600 or cx600m to save some money, or use the money you save for a 7950.

I would change the motherboard to something like an ASRock extreme 4 the Asus ROG boards are great but the GENE isnt the best and I can honestly tell you (as an owner of the Maximus V Formula) its not worth the money 90% of the time

id get a better cooler on the GPU the XFX ones are ok but id recommend Sapphire, HIS, Gigabyte, Asus or MSI they all have superior solutions

wouldnt get the 840 than that unless its cheaper than the 830 (that is assuming its the non pro)

and the monitor well 120Hz you probably wont notice it and you can get some amazing IPS panels for less

thats about it other wise good id invest in a 7950 is possible though

give a man a gun he robs a bank, give a man a bank he robs the world

I'm in agreement to not bother with the RoG board. Consider looking at some of the P8Z77 boards. I'd change the HD to either a WD Black or Seagate Barracuda and the SSD to one of the following because of its relatively slow write speeds: Samsung 830 or 840Pro, Crucial M4, Intel 330 or 520 or the Sandisk Extreme. If you're going with that cooler, keep in mind you'll need low profile RAM otherwise it wont fit due to the heat spreader.

Great build, you could go with a Sabertooth Z77 and maybe spend a little more on a GPU not that its bad. You don't really need a RoG board.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D