silent computing

compnoob

Ok so why is everyone so obsessed with silent computing. Personally I want to here my computer run. It's comforting.

Fan Junkie

Now, it is actually pretty easy to build a silent computer, so you might as well. I, and many others enjoy silence, and don't want the computer noise to be heard around the whole house. 

Ok so why is everyone so obsessed with silent computing. Personally I want to here my computer run. It's comforting.

are you serious? :D i hate it when my computer is  louder than the sound on my headset (due to my gtx590 this is the case! ._.). Noise is the second thing  to care of when building a pc, first is performance! :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Silent computing = no noise when you're watching/playing something, no noise when you're sleeping

I don't mind that familiar 'hummmm' but it has to be near silent and I need to be able to listen to quiet music on my speakers without a BZZZZZZ

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I like dead silence. It's comforting.

Because not everyone likes using headphones all the time. I like using my speakers, so while watching a movie I don't need all that noise to bug me.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Buy a lanboy if you want silence. trust me its great. trust me.............

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I want silence to a point, I want to hear a breeze of the fans, but silent enough to be drowned out by whatever I'm watching/playing/listening to.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

I like that my computer is quiet enough to not be heard with headphones on(even with no sounds playing), but just loud enough to be heard if I take them off.

Silence is very dependant on your equipment and setup.

If you game/edit/whatever without earbuds, or perhaps open backed headphones, then coilwhine and fan noise becomes more important.

I also find that its very personal. Some don't mind a little background hum; some find it very annoying. Kind of like the preferences in Cherry MX switches.

Silence is very dependant on your equipment and setup.

If you game/edit/whatever without earbuds, or perhaps open backed headphones, then coilwhine and fan noise becomes more important.

I also find that its very personal. Some don't mind a little background hum; some find it very annoying. Kind of like the preferences in Cherry MX switches.

You shouldn't be able to hear coil whine whether you have headphones on or not. By that I mean that your system shouldn't have any coil whine at all. If it does, take the offending part back to the store you got it from.

i built mine with silence in mind, when doing daily tasks i run my fans at either 5v or 7v, when i am gaming i run them at 7v or 12v, depends on my temps, with any ambient noises or with my speakers on it cant be heard at 7v, 12v is a little bit noticeable. also have a directcu2 graphics card which it great for silent gaming

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

the difference between a silent computer and a noisy computer is a massive difference, my first computer was built for balls to the walls performance with every fan position occupied with high cfm fans, you could hear it all the way down the hallway, second computer i used the same fans but ran them in a quiet case, it helped but still wasnt good enough, eventually i switched all the fans or ran the high cfm fans at 7v. my current build has 2 high static pressure fans that i run at different voltages and 2 silence optimized fans

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

My current system is far too noisy for me, for years i ran with water setups, and i switched back to air.

The difference is ridiculous, and because of that I'm switching back to water.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog