Moving...Need to drain loop completely?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

Hi

I'm moving in about a month.  Do I need to fully drain the loop in my 900D or should I be ok if I keep it vertically and move it carefully?  

What do you guys recommend?  It is a big boy and weighs over 100lbs easy (3 1/2 litres of coolant).  But my brother and I should be able to put it into the original box.  This is what it looks like but I have added another 780 since I took the pic.

Thanks in advance!

attachicon.gifLeviathan 900D.jpeg

As long as it's not cold where you are and if it is keep the PC in a warm environment to prevent freezing you should be able to package it up and move it but I would defiently reinforce the orginial box if you are planning to use it to move a full water cooled case around. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to hold up the GPU's using some foam blocks to prevent any excessive movement or stress placed on the PCI-E slots or tubing.

Hi

I'm moving in about a month.  Do I need to fully drain the loop in my 900D or should I be ok if I keep it vertically and move it carefully?  

What do you guys recommend?  It is a big boy and weighs over 100lbs easy (3 1/2 litres of coolant).  But my brother and I should be able to put it into the original box.  This is what it looks like but I have added another 780 since I took the pic.

Thanks in advance!

post-30001-0-74020100-1415293470.jpeg

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

it will be fine. Just keep it upright.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You can drain it if you want to be careful, but it should be fine.

My name is Sebastian, I relate to Linus

Hi

Thanks in advance!

attachicon.gifLeviathan 900D.jpeg

As long as it's not cold where you are and if it is keep the PC in a warm environment to prevent freezing you should be able to package it up and move it but I would defiently reinforce the orginial box if you are planning to use it to move a full water cooled case around. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to hold up the GPU's using some foam blocks to prevent any excessive movement or stress placed on the PCI-E slots or tubing.

Just be real carefull. It should be ok. I've moved big systems with custom water cooling before and they were fine.

You may want to look up singularity computers on youtube. I think he did a video on how he prepares a system for shipping.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

If your moving far then you shoudl drain it but if you can hold it in the car or something then you shoudl be fine with just leaving it. Just make sure ti doesn't bounce around too much.

thanks for the quick responses and advice!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

thanks for the quick responses and advice!

How far are you moving it? Do you plan on leaving your graphics cards in while moving it? If so be extremely careful. There isn't much holding the graphics cards in. You could easily break the PCI-E connectors. Safest bet is to just drain and remove cards. But if you are only driving up the road or something and you can get someone to hold it on the way then do that. Otherwise just take the safe option.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I'm moving about 15-20 mins away.  I'll figure out a way to brace the GPU's.  They are connected with 2 solid fittings in between the 2 cards. so I just need to brace the bottom card for vibrations and large bumps.