Need a New Mouse, Want Advice

EChondo

I am in need of a new mouse, I mainly play FPS games, but I do play many RTS, MMOs, and RPG games. I am located in Southern California so Newegg is my primary retailer that I buy from(since I get my purchases nearly the next day).

Prerequisites:

-I don't need a lot of buttons on my mouse(3+1 wheel is good)

-I absolutely despise wireless peripherals, so wired is preferred, but if the mouse is wireless and has the ability to be plugged in then great

-I need a LARGE mouse, I have hands as big as Slick's and I love to palm my mice

-No Razer products

I am looking at Logitech mice(primarily the g100s), but I don't know of much other companies that have good mice. My current Razer Mamba(around 2009 edition), the "gamer grip" has begun pealing off of the mouse and all the creases and whatnot attract a lot of gunk, so I would prefer to not buy a Razer product. I was thinking of going with the g100s as I know Logitech has great customer service(from what I've heard), but I've not heard much from others about the g100s and I would like to know of personal experiences with it or other mice you gals/guys can recommend me that are wired.

I've been recommended the new Func MS-3 before, but I refuse to buy a $80 mouse, just simply not worth it. Lets just say I have an unlimited budget, but I don't need a $200 mouse that is wireless that has 20 buttons. I just need a reliable, functional mouse that has a good company behind it. If the mouse is $100, but amazing and fits my needs then I will most likely buy it.

I appreciate any and all recommendations, but I will not consider recommendations that do not fit my prerequisites.

It isn't any good to discriminate against a company based on a single product. I haven't had any issues with the 4+ products I've purchased from Razer, yet ironically Logitech has given me issues with all 3 mice I've had from them (G700, MX-518 and some random wireless mouse).

RAT 7, 'nuff said.

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

RAT 7, 'nuff said.

all the rat series of mice are brilliant. i first got a rat 3 and i loved it so much i upgraded to a rat 7. the usability of it is amazing, there are the correct amount of buttons in the right places and most of all it looks so god damn good.

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

It isn't any good to discriminate against a company based on a single product. I haven't had any issues with the 4+ products I've purchased from Razer, yet ironically Logitech has given me issues with all 3 mice I've had from them (G700, MX-518 and some random wireless mouse).

To me, the Mamba is a mouse that costs over $100. I don't care how old it is, if it costs $100+ and the product gets worn down so much that the actual skin/grip of it is peeling off, then something is up. I take care of everything that I own and I absolutely refuse to give them my business. It's my money, sure you don't have problems with them, but I do. Now I'm here to get advice, not lectured on how your experiences differ than mine and therefore I am wrong and should look at all products and not single out one company in particular that has given me bad business.

all the rat series of mice are brilliant. i first got a rat 3 and i loved it so much i upgraded to a rat 7. the usability of it is amazing, there are the correct amount of buttons in the right places and most of all it looks so god damn good.

Thank you and Dathtom for suggesting products.

How is the size of the R.A.T. 7? I have fairly large hands and I can't really demo the mouse through pictures on the Internet and all of the "tech" shops in my area do not even have these kind of mice nor live models out and about to demo :P

I know it has great customization features, but can it accommodate large hand users?

To me, the Mamba is a mouse that costs over $100. I don't care how old it is, if it costs $100+ and the product gets worn down so much that the actual skin/grip of it is peeling off, then something is up. I take care of everything that I own and I absolutely refuse to give them my business. It's my money, sure you don't have problems with them, but I do. Now I'm here to get advice, not lectured on how your experiences differ than mine and therefore I am wrong and should look at all products and not single out one company in particular that has given me bad business.

You're talking about a different mouse than me, I can recommend the Mamba 2012 but have heard bad things about the original Mamba.

Sure it's your money, but you asked for advice and I'm giving you it. I've purchased multiple products from them whereas you've had one (and arguably one of their worst), so it's no good to judge the entire company's reputation based on your single experience. Every company I know of has had their bad products.

First off, I agree, razer has possible the most horrific qc i'v ever seen. For palming i'd go for something like the g500, g700 or even the intellimouse explorer 3.0 would also be a good choice. You could also have a look at the roccat kone+ and the mionix range of mice.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Thank you and Dathtom for suggesting products.

How is the size of the R.A.T. 7? I have fairly large hands and I can't really demo the mouse through pictures on the Internet and all of the "tech" shops in my area do not even have these kind of mice nor live models out and about to demo :P

I know it has great customization features, but can it accommodate large hand users?

The Palm rest is adjustable to fit small to huge hands - heres mine - 

-See attached-

EDIT -  SORRY ABOUT HUGE PICTURES DONT KNOW HOW TO RESIZE.. JUST REALIZED HOW DUSTY THE MICE IS :L

post-7161-0-53545600-1370695621_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-82135500-1370695638_thumb.jp

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

First off, I agree, razer has possible the most horrific qc i'v ever seen. For palming i'd go for something like the g500, g700 or even the intellimouse explorer 3.0 would also be a good choice. You could also have a look at the roccat kone+ and the mionix range of mice.

The G700 was horrible regardless of how I used it. One of my fingers would constantly become sore, and I have average sized hands.

I know you may hate this, but Razer Deathadder 2013 is the best choice if you are a palm grip user. This is because it is optical and no acceleration. G400s is also a good one.

For palming i'd go for something like the g500, g700 or even the intellimouse explorer 3.0 would also be a good choice. You could also have a look at the roccat kone+ and the mionix range of mice.

I read that the g500s is worth the upgrade from the g500, but the g500 is being sold so cheap...I've heard some users of the g500 have had some issues but those issues have been resolved with the g500s. I'll look at Roccat Kone and Mionix :)

The Palm rest is adjustable to fit small to huge hands - heres mine - 

EDIT -  SORRY ABOUT HUGE PICTURES DONT KNOW HOW TO RESIZE.. JUST REALIZED HOW DUSTY THE MICE IS :L

Thanks for the pictures! It does go a fair way back. Do you know about the Cyborg/Mad Catz thing? Newegg used to list the R.A.T. series under the Cyborg name, but recently those links have been discontinued and now the R.A.T. series is being listed under the Mad Catz name and they seem to be a fair bit more expensive on Newegg(as compared to Amazon and TigerDirect).

I'll look into the R.A.T. series a bit more, if the 7 is really worth the step up from the 3 then that might be the best setup to go with.

I read that the g500s is worth the upgrade from the g500, but the g500 is being sold so cheap...I've heard some users of the g500 have had some issues but those issues have been resolved with the g500s. I'll look at Roccat Kone and Mionix :)

Thanks for the pictures! It does go a fair way back. Do you know about the Cyborg/Mad Catz thing? Newegg used to list the R.A.T. series under the Cyborg name, but recently those links have been discontinued and now the R.A.T. series is being listed under the Mad Catz name and they seem to be a fair bit more expensive on Newegg(as compared to Amazon and TigerDirect).

I'll look into the R.A.T. series a bit more, if the 7 is really worth the step up from the 3 then that might be the best setup to go with.

Cyborg is Mad Catz brand, but recently now that cyborg has gotten popular they've just merged the two brands. I've owned both mice (had to return the cyborg one) and can tell you that they are the same apart from the logo.

Cyborg is Mad Catz brand, but recently now that cyborg has gotten popular they've just merged the two brands. I've owned both mice (had to return the cyborg one) and can tell you that they are the same apart from the logo.

Hmm, interesting.

I have found that Gameshark is selling the R.A.T. series from anywhere from 28%-33% off. So R.A.T. 3's are $40, R.A.T. 5's are $50, R.A.T. 7's are $70 and R.A.T. 9's are $100.

It seems that the R.A.T. 7 will be my best bet especially at that price. I don't think it'll be worth that extra $30 just to go for a wireless version and it can be a bit heavier if needed.

Nah I had a RAT 3 and upgraded to the 7. The 3 was good but the 7 is much more comfortable.

Dude ok. We get it stop defending Razer now. I do agree that the build quality is much better than what people say but if someone doesnt want Razer then leave it at that.

BLAOW!!!!

Do you know about the Cyborg/Mad Catz thing? 

there exactly the same. mine is a mad catz. my brother has the cyborg rat 3. the only difference is the box and the prints on the mouse

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

Oh, I forgot to add, I despise the R.A.T range of mice. OK tracking, really cheap build quality, just a huge gimmick IMHO.

Oh, I forgot to add, I despise the R.A.T range of mice. OK tracking, really cheap build quality, just a huge gimmick IMHO.

Cheap build quality? How so? I would think with an aluminum body and rubberized covers it'd be decent. Even Linus says it is built like a tank.

Cheap build quality? How so? I would think with an aluminum body and rubberized covers it'd be decent. Even Linus says it is built like a tank

Maybe it's just me, but in a shop i tried out the R.A.T 3 and 7, and while the 7 felt better, it still felt cheap in the hand (comparing this to pretty high end mice though so maybe just me..)

Maybe it's just me, but in a shop i tried out the R.A.T 3 and 7, and while the 7 felt better, it still felt cheap in the hand (comparing this to pretty high end mice though so maybe just me..)

Huh. Well for $70 I'd expect it to be built to last a while. I'll look at more reviews and see if more people feel this way.

I can recommend the G400s, awesome mouse, works fine for palming with my bearish hands, uber precise sensor [optical], decent price, and awesome quality :)

I bought the RAT7 for my brother's B-day. After 4x RMA we just trashed it and bought something different. Cannot recommend that one.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...