which way would you go...

Wherestheanykey

Would you purchase a r9 295x2 or get a single gtx 980 now and upgrade to sli down the track....?

Never owned a AMD card not sure if i should make the change 

The more important question here is Do you need a R9 295X2?

In my eye's i do im a benchmark whore so i do enjoy getting the highest score i can get

i play games alot on a 2560x1440p 32inch samsung which is not hard to do but upgrade to 4k is going to happen eventually 

to be honest if i do buy either it will be a unnecessary buy i have two 760 4gb cards now which do the job but i just enjoy buying new stuff for my pc lol 

980 because of cheaper initial cost. And I like Nvidia more.

I also like nvidia more but at the price the 295x2 is at its making me want to change plus i like the fact its water cooled already were the two 980's would not be down the track 

In my eye's i do im a benchmark whore so i do enjoy getting the highest score i can get

i play games alot on a 2560x1440p 32inch samsung which is not hard to do but upgrade to 4k is going to happen eventually 

to be honest if i do buy either it will be a unnecessary buy i have two 760 4gb cards now which do the job but i just enjoy buying new stuff for my pc lol 

980 is what i recommended you get now and  when you upgrade to 4k get another 980.

also its cooler and Doesn't require much power to run.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I also like nvidia more but at the price the 295x2 is at its making me want to change plus i like the fact its water cooled already were the two 980's would not be down the track 

There are other advantages to 980. They're more silent and consumes less power. Also a 295x2 cost 12000 kr in my country, you can get a 980 for 5000 kr right now. If not then 5500 kr.

I'd go with the GTX 980. Two 980's would be faster, easier to power, and I assume easier to cool than a 295X2. And I think the prices would work out to be similar.

Up to you if you're going to make a purchase or not, but just bear in mind that patience is usually rewarded when it comes to computer hardware. If what you have is good enough to last you until the next major release, chances are you will get something better for your money.