New Air Cooler

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

ok, that makes me feel a lot better, do you think it's worth it to get the noctua over the 212 evo since I'd like more of a long lasting investment? maybe with 2 fans?

Push/Pull isn't worth it imo. It just makes a few degrees of difference when you could just get a better heatsink from the get-go.

The u12s is great but comes at a premium for the higher performance, lower noise level, and build quality. The 212 Evo should last quite a while and it shouldn't be for longevity if you decide to spend more.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Hi, I'm quite new here, I started this topic because I'm looking for advice for a new cooler, I've been using the stock cooler on an old i7-860 not overclocked, my temperatures aren't great, I usually get 85 to 90 celsius under heavy load, but the real problem is that recently the fan broke, or so I assume, since it's doing a weird noise and temperatures are a lot higher on a much lower load, I get over 70 degrees on idle almost. So I need to change it but I've been reading about the new socket for the next generation of processors (LGA 1151), and I'd really like to get a cooler that will be compatible with the next socket/motherboards. Is there any way to know if for example a 212 EVO or the NH-U12S will be compatible with the new socket? And if I can't know, what do you suggest I get in the meantime, keeping in mind the fact that I'll probably upgrade when a reasonably cheap Skylake processor comes out?

Thanks to all those who will reply.

Yep, most new coolers are compatible and will be compatible with future iterations.

In fact, if it isn't, Noctua will send you new mounting hardware, or at least I've heard of them doing such a thing.

Compatible with Windows 95

LGA 1151 should use the same mounting system as 1150 or 1155. You shouldn't need any new mounting hardware.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

ok, that makes me feel a lot better, do you think it's worth it to get the noctua over the 212 evo since I'd like more of a long lasting investment? maybe with 2 fans?

Push/Pull isn't worth it imo. It just makes a few degrees of difference when you could just get a better heatsink from the get-go.

The u12s is great but comes at a premium for the higher performance, lower noise level, and build quality. The 212 Evo should last quite a while and it shouldn't be for longevity if you decide to spend more.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.