gtx 970 overkill

alvez

SO yes im dumb as f*ck just to begin with...

I bought a gtx 970, thinking that  i would have a massive fps increase from my old 1gb 6850 gddr5..the game: counter strike global offensive aka CSGO.

the fps didnt increase at all, only if i play with high graphics on csgo, the thing here is, the gtx 970 only give the full power when i play high render games, wich is something that i play...30 minutes a day till i get pissed of the boring history mode..being this something that doesnt give happiness abotu the product, even it being an extremely good GPU..

CSGO doesnt even require 1/3 of the gpu so yeah again im dumb for not listening to the people who said "its complete overkill"...

Ive sent an email to the store..they said that i could return it and change it to a lower product..as i wich..so my doubt now here is..

Wich gpu could i choose for like 200/250 € that will give his full potential/FPS playing csgo, i mean  a good gpu that will have a fast clock and will be fster tham the gtx 970 on this specific game.

hope you guys understand me :)

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

Just as a heads up, CSGO runs on source, source games like CPU more than GPU, I know a lot of people who legit go out and buy I5's and I7's and pair them with a GTX 750 or 750 TI. It's mostly CPU that you need for the game. With CPU in your desc you can easily go with a GTX 750 TI or a R9 270/270x and still get the same FPS in CSGO as a GTX 970. This is a "bottleneck" if you want to call it that on the graphics engine, it wont allow full use of your GPU as it doesn't need it.

i dont know where you live, but in my country the 970 gtx starts at 300€. so its 50€ above your budget, but a really good card for 300€. I wouldn´t change the card, since you can play csgo with Superresolution and your are mostlikly will able to play every game at 1080p on max qualities in the next years :) but thats just my opinion.

If you just want to play csgo, try out your onboard graphic i5 4690k, im pretty sure you will be able to run it

Just as a heads up, CSGO runs on source, source games like CPU more than GPU, I know a lot of people who legit go out and buy I5's and I7's and pair them with a GTX 750 or 750 TI. It's mostly CPU that you need for the game. With CPU in your desc you can easily go with a GTX 750 TI or a R9 270/270x and still get the same FPS in CSGO as a GTX 970. This is a "bottleneck" if you want to call it that on the graphics engine, it wont allow full use of your GPU as it doesn't need it.

i have a good cpu, i5 4690K  @3.90 GHz, YEP THATS EXACTLY that, it bottleneck, im very sad with it, eventho playing bf4 IS GOOD, BUT I LOVE CSGO..

one of the things that for me is  very bad is for a new gpu, nvidia still uses the old panel, about the new gpu ill get

i rather get AMD since the older gpu was pretty good indeed, would the R9 280X or simply the R9 280 bottleneck ?

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

To add onto my last part, if you're playing CSGO competitively then setting everything to high is actually not that good, you're getting stuff rendered in that is useless and that makes seeing other players much harder, the only setting you want to max out really is shadows as that helps you A LOT, that is if you aren't an awper, as when you scope in your shadow draw distance is nearly 1/8th of what it normally is.

Zoomed at high shadows=shadow draw of low unzoomed! 

i dont know where you live, but in my country the 970 gtx starts at 300€. so its 50€ above your budget, but a really good card for 300€. I wouldn´t change the card, since you can play csgo with Superresolution and your are mostlikly will able to play every game at 1080p on max qualities in the next years :) but thats just my opinion.

If you just want to play csgo, try out your onboard graphic i5 4690k, im pretty sure you will be able to run it

i will be able to play bf4 and other new games with a lower and at the smae time good gpu... this gtx 970 costs 380 € on my country so yes  i would save 180 € if i get a r9 280.

*still dunno if they do refound the part of the money

Yeah, my brother plays CS:GO with his i3 3225 @ internal grafics just fine :) (Granted not "ultra" settings, but it works decent enough)

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I would keep it and use dynamic super resolution. And you never know if there might be at least one game you might want that is  a highly demanding game that shows up in the next 4 years. Rainbow six siege is coming....

but if you only care about CS then get a 750ti. You won't need more power and that is a lowend maxwell card. Maxwell.....yes

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

To add onto my last part, if you're playing CSGO competitively then setting everything to high is actually not that good, you're getting stuff rendered in that is useless and that makes seeing other players much harder, the only setting you want to max out really is shadows as that helps you A LOT, that is if you aren't an awper, as when you scope in your shadow draw distance is nearly 1/8th of what it normally is.

Zoomed at high shadows=shadow draw of low unzoomed! 

i dont play with high graphics, that was my main concern, i play all low @1024 x 768.. so yes getting the same fps with a 380 € card that i had with a 75 € one... pretty anoying right 

I would keep it and use dynamic super resolution. And you never know if there might be at least one game you might want that is  a highly demanding game that shows up in the next 4 years. Rainbow six siege is coming....

i dont really play other games bro... and csgo is not good to be played on high res..i mean competitive

i have a good cpu, i5 4690K  @3.90 GHz, YEP THATS EXACTLY that, it bottleneck, im very sad with it, eventho playing bf4 IS GOOD, BUT I LOVE CSGO..

one of the things that for me is  very bad is for a new gpu, nvidia still uses the old panel, about the new gpu ill get

i rather get AMD since the older gpu was pretty good indeed, would the R9 280X or simply the R9 280 bottleneck ?

The thing is, your system isn't the bottleneck in this case, the game is. It's made to run well. That being said it was made in 2011 so it was made to run well then, OFC it's going to run well know. So no matter what you go with you will see the same result in terms of FPS, the only REAL upgrade you could to get higher FPS is to go with a new I5 or I7 or OC yours further.

I'd personally go with an AMD R9 285 and just use that for a while, it's a strong card that'll last you a good year or two. 

Also you don't really need anything above 200 in CSGO, most people cap their FPS at around 300 and seeing as how you have a 144Hz monitor the only real factor coming into play with anything above 200 FPS is mouse smoothing.

i dont really play other games bro... and csgo is not good to be played on high res..i mean competitive

At that resolution you should be alright with a potato. However I would keep it under $150. An r9 280 is still pretty overkill.  I would say gtx750/ r7 260 range.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Who told you CSGO isn't good to be played at high res? It's not like 1.6 where the character models hitboxes are bigger, you're at a disadvantage playing 4:3 in CSGO over 16:9. Really it's just preference but this isn't the same game as CS:Source or 1:6 where you're resolution matters a lot.

Who told you CSGO isn't good to be played at high res? It's not like 1.6 where the character models hitboxes are bigger, you're at a disadvantage playing 4:3 in CSGO over 16:9. Really it's just preference but this isn't the same game as CS:Source or 1:6 where you're resolution matters a lot.

personal preference, just a mino amount of players plays with high graphics...max you will see is 1600x900...even tho almost everyone goes for 1280x960 or 1024x768 like me...not for graphics but for smothness..if you play with 1024 and shoot with that res, then you switch to 1920 youll see the diference pretty easly :) 

Yeah I don't know who told you that but but higher resolution is better for any type of competitive gameplay. Higher resolution makes objects and character models much more defined. Wider aspect ratios help too. I should know, I have an ultra wide monitor....I SEE EVERYTHING.

personal preference, just a mino amount of players plays with high graphics...max you will see is 1600x900...even tho almost everyone goes for 1280x960 or 1024x768 like me...not for graphics but for smothness..if you play with 1024 and shoot with that res, then you switch to 1920 youll see the diference pretty easly :)

Now what are you talking about? resolution has nothing to do with smoothness either. That's the frame rate lol

That's because at 4:3 in CSGO your x axis is not 1:1 like in 16:9 res. Also most NA players and even a lot of EU guys are switching to 1080P as it's a much more clear resolution and does make it easier to see things like tracers, further off players, and such. I think only 1 pro player NA is still using 4:3 and that's HIKO and he's using 1280x960 stretched.

Now what are you talking about? resolution has nothing to do with smoothness either. That's the frame rate lol

I think he means smoothness, when the game first came out the only reason most pro players kept a low res was due to LAN events where the PC's couldn't handle much. 

That's because at 4:3 in CSGO your x axis is not 1:1 like in 16:9 res. Also most NA players and even a lot of EU guys are switching to 1080P as it's a much more clear resolution and does make it easier to see things like tracers, further off players, and such. I think only 1 pro player NA is still using 4:3 and that's HIKO and he's using 1280x960 stretched.

Interesting. I don't really understand how that equates to smoothness though. FPS gaming on anything less than 21:9 now that I spoiled myself.  :(

I think he means smoothness, when the game first came out the only reason most pro players kept a low res was due to LAN events where the PC's couldn't handle much. 

play the game  you will understand :)

play the game  you will understand :)

I have a combined 2500 hours in CSGO across two accounts and have played CS since 1.6 lol

So much discussion for the Point being.

If your only EVER ONLY AT ALL TIMES, going to only use 1024x768 and Low

Then know that any GPU will play it HOW YOU INTEND TO PLAY IT.

ANY GPU

INTEL ONBOARD EVEN.

That said, needs are not high, needs are met easily.

If you wanna try 1080p and the like... NV 750Ti or Amd 285 or greater if planning for other games.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I have a combined 2500 hours in CSGO across two accounts and have played CS since 1.6 lol

i think 8 years of css + csgo combined are enough also.

i think 8 years of css + csgo combined are enough also.

thats about how long I have been playing, started 1.6 is 2004 lol so almost 11 years