PC wont post if it has more than two ram sticks

Go to solution Solved by SkimmyMcG,

This is a long shot, but have you tried resetting the CMOS?

I have a asrock z77 extreme 4 and a couple months ago I came home and it wouldn't boot ram error so I did the usual and really it doesn't affect me too much because 4gb is fine for nearly all the games i play but I was wondering if there is anything I could try to do that wouldn't require a new motherboard to fix it?

euro truck 2 is fun!

Is it the RAM that's broken and not the motherboard? if so, you can RMA it.

I might be wrong.

Well if you can't put more than two RAM sticks in then you could get two 4GB sticks.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Sorry forgot to clarify I was using 2x4gb sticks before now I'm on 1x4gb and I know its not the ram because I tested some I got for a friends rig.

I could try one 8gb stick but that requires money and poor student here

and the error that comes up is no memory installed

euro truck 2 is fun!

I had a similar issue with an older board, it ended up being a damaged ram slot.

You may want to carefully check the slot for any dirt or metal debris which could be shorting something out.

Sorry forgot to clarify I was using 2x4gb sticks before now I'm on 1x4gb and I know its not the ram because I tested some I got for a friends rig.

I could try one 8gb stick but that requires money and poor student here

and the error that comes up is no memory installed

Using two different types of RAM can also cause issues, did you make sure they had the same CAS latency, Memory size, and timings? If they're running two different frequencies your PC should run them both at the lowest frequency of the two (considering it is running dual channel) but it would be best if they were the same speed as well.

same sticks designed for dual channel and they worked for a few years before they broke.

I will try to clean them out later on and update.

euro truck 2 is fun!

This is a long shot, but have you tried resetting the CMOS?

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

ok I blew some compressed air on the slot and nothing came out so i reset the cmos and it fixed it more or less one of the slots still wont work but I only need 2 of the 4 thanks for all the help but now windows says its not genuine... great oh well fully working computer :)

euro truck 2 is fun!

ok I blew some compressed air on the slot and nothing came out so i reset the cmos and it fixed it more or less one of the slots still wont work but I only need 2 of the 4 thanks for all the help but now windows says its not genuine... great oh well fully working computer :)

Glad to hear you got it all working.  :D

PC Specs: