SSHD/HDD

ajhoranny89

Is it worthy to spend the extra $$$ on a sshd instead of a hdd for gaming and for everyday use? I already have a ssd 256gb x2. What you guys recommend using the ssd for besides the os? Also 1 or 2 sshd or hdd and wat capasity is decent?

Well since im posting here: i bought the swiftech h240-x dual 140mm fans so i guess its a 280mm rad. Im running the fx-8350 so we now airflow is needed, but the case/s i have in mind are the (nzxt h440), (fractal design define r4 does this cpu cooler fit on the top panel) wat u guys recommend?

Big thank you in advance!!

Not much point  getting a sshd if you already have ssd's. Put your programs on your ssd. 

Capacity depends on your own storage habits.

The H240x should fit in the H440--not sure about the R4. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For the cooler, phanteks makes amazing static pressure fans, nzxt has some that aren't horrible, and noiseblock has a lot, yet those are extremely expensive(about the same as noctua's yet look a lot better). And I am not sure if the cooler will fit in the r4, yet I know it will fit in the h440.

For the storage, ssd's for things that can be easily replaced i.e. games, os, and applications. Get a hdd for mass storage and save game backups(atleast it is what I do). Personally buying an sshd should be an option if you can't afford an ssd, but seeing as that isn't a problem, it would be best to go for pure storage. And the size is up to you, if you need 3tb, then get a 3tb drive, if you don't need that much, then don't get that much. 

PCPartPicker says it isn't compatible.

Don't bother getting an SSHD because you already have SSD's.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Is it worthy to spend the extra $$$ on a sshd instead of a hdd for gaming and for everyday use? I already have a ssd 256gb x2. What you guys recommend using the ssd for besides the os? Also 1 or 2 sshd or hdd and wat capasity is decent?

Well since im posting here: i bought the swiftech h240-x dual 140mm fans so i guess its a 280mm rad. Im running the fx-8350 so we now airflow is needed, but the case/s i have in mind are the (nzxt h440), (fractal design define r4 does this cpu cooler fit on the top panel) wat u guys recommend?

Big thank you in advance!!

Hey ajhoranny89,

SSHD is a good concept and provides faster work over regular HDDs especially when it comes to booting, program and game load times and working with larger files. It's basically a regular HDD with a small integrated SSD (usually 8GB or 16GB) and the drive figures out what you use the most and puts some files on that SSD part for them to load faster. I personally am not a big fan of that concept as you don't have the freedom of choosing what to go on the SSD part and what to remain on the HDD.

Since you already have two perfectly good SSDs, I believe it's pointless to get a SSHD. You could use one of the SSDs for your OS and programs and the other for your games and large files that you often work with and get a regular HDD for storage. 
If you plan on putting the two SSDs in RAID 0 mode, have in mind that they will give you a significant boost in performance, load times and transfer speeds, but they will actually increase your system's initial boot time.

Regarding the cooler, you could always call the case manufacturer's support and ask them if a certain cooler would fit and if they can offer you some workarounds to avoid any compatibility issues. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/