4K or 1440 with G-sync?

Imabigmac

here is maybe a half decent discussion for a quiet Sunday. 

Already after a year of having my PB278Q I look to upgrade. I have experienced the awesomeness of 1440 but now I'm lost. I really want to try out 4K and I find this the most "futureproof" way to go (Buy a monitor that will last multiple GPU Gens) but with that said 4k for the time being creates its own problems. ATM I don't have enough power for 4k ultra but a single 780 ti should still run games decently at medium at 4k and those are the really intense ones, and for games like ETS 2 and farming simulator and other less demanding titles that I play, ultra should still be achievable. And even if I wanted to play BF4 at ultra I could always switch over to my secondary monitor which will be my PB278Q. I'm not entirely concerned with having a TN beside a PLS/IPS. The problem that I see with 4k is that it push me to upgrade my GPU sooner.

Now of course if I wasn't concerned about having to upgrade my 780 ti before even a year of ownership, I don't think I would consider this option, but because spending $700 on a GPU every year becomes very painful G-sync is a consideration.  Now just so were clear 4K G-sync is out of the price range atm. G-sync offers a fairly good benefits added to an already great resolution of 1440. This really seems to be the way to go for "hardcore" play for smoothness gamers, which I don't consider myself as being part of but then I really hate playing anything when its laggy and jittery. So perhaps spending money on one of these G-SYNC monitors will actually save me money in the long run. That said they are significantly more money than a TN 4K screen. I'm not a 120Hz gamer so 60HZ screens are fine by me. 

So as I said I'm lost although that isn't really true, I know where I am, I know who I am and I understand (or think I do) what each option has to to offer.    At this point I would lean toward 4K, but I won't be buying for a few months  yet so who knows what will come out in the mean time. I really like to set my sights on something early that way I can save up for it separately. 

Am I wrong to consider 4K as my next upgrade in visual experience? What are your thoughts. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

How about 4K G-Sync?

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

4K is beautiful, particularly in certain games like Borderlands you really see the extra detail. 

If you've got the graphical horsepower to drive a 4K display with the maximum game settings at 60FPS (or close), go for it, otherwise I'd stick with 2K and G-Sync.

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

How about 4K G-Sync?

We won't have that until DisplayPort 1.3 comes out (which I hope is soon).

The only time incorrectly is spelled incorrectly is when it is spelled incorrectly.

I´m personally waiting for 27"+, 4K, IPS, 1ms, Pivot, curved, G-Sync, 3D, 120hz+, monitor for 200€ :D

Well that is a long way away, or so it seems. 

I can't even..

What, it is a legitimate question. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

How about you play at 1080p for the time being on a 4K monitor?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

The 4K G-Sync monitor from Philips looks like...I can't even describe how epic it is in person. 4K is quite a stretch but it's looks good. Personally 1440p should be more of a standard now'a'days to aim for specifically PC gaming.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

How about you play at 1080p for the time being on a 4K monitor?

Why when I already have a 1440p screen. That would be backwards. 

The 4K G-Sync monitor from Philips looks like...I can't even describe how epic it is in person. 4K is quite a stretch but it's looks good. Personally 1440p should be more of a standard now'a'days to aim for specifically PC gaming.

Isn't that thing ridiculously expensive though? Not to mention limited availability. 

Spoiler

We won't have that until DisplayPort 1.3 comes out (which I hope is soon).

What about the Acer 4K GSync monitor? 4K 60Hz w/GSync is already out. I think you're wrong here mate.

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Why when I already have a 1440p screen. That would be backwards. 

Isn't that thing ridiculously expensive though? Not to mention limited availability. 

Oh :) I didn't look at your specs, apologies

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

What about the Acer 4K GSync monitor? 4K 60Hz w/GSync is already out. I think you're wrong here mate.

I was meaning for 120Hz, not 60. 

Should have made the distinction in my post. :P

I was meaning for 120Hz, not 60. 

Should have made the distinction in my post. :P

Oh, ok. 4K 120Hz GSync is far away, 60Hz w/ GSync makes sense though. Acer 4K would be my first pick when it comes to affordable 4K monitors

Spoiler

Spoiler

1440p with G-Sync

I don't even think Windows 10 can scale well on 4k

And for gaming, G-Sync is higher priority than resolution imo.

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

I don't even think Windows 10 can scale well on 4k

How do you know that? I have Windows 8.1 and it scales admirably to 4K. 

Neither, the only 4k worth going to is IPS, going from a PB278Q to a ROG

swift or 4k monitor is a waste of money. Gsync is nice, but be patient.

LG just released a true 4k panel for $1400 USD considering that panel is

$2500 AUD here I'd save my pennies for that and If I really wanted GSync

the upgrade kit? Lol >.>

IPS or nothing, those cheap TN 4k panels are being sold for $500 AUD for

the following reasons. They need top of the line GPU horse power to run

at stable frame rates. People who invest that kind of money into their

GPU set ups are enthusiasts who care about features and colour

reproduction. The ones who don't and care only about HZ get 122 or 144 HZ

monitors. For those monkeys there's the swift. Artists won't do work on a

TN panel so yeah. Basically those TN panels are pretty crappy, when you

compare them against good quality IPS panels.

I don't think you need to upgrade yet, if you are go get something for the

absolute elite like the LG's 31MU97 else, maybe get a cheap 4k TN panel

but then there's no reason to get rid of your PB278Q just have both

monitors, one's 27" the other's 28" with the heigh adjust on the Asus

monitor and thicker bezel they'd be around the same overall size anyway.

Peace.

The TN panel in the Swift isn't all that bad-looking actually. The off-angle color shift is noticable though so if viewing angles are important the Swift wouldn't be a good option. There are such things as high-grade TN panels, and they definitely are a huge step up from the cheap crappy TN like a laptop I had that literally hurt my eyes to use the screen.

The TN panel in the Swift isn't all that bad-looking actually. The off-angle color shift is noticable though so if viewing angles are important the Swift wouldn't be a good option. There are such things as high-grade TN panels, and they definitely are a huge step up from the cheap crappy TN like a laptop I had that literally hurt my eyes to use the screen.

And I assume that the panels in 4k monitors aren't garbage such as laptop ones either - why I not all that concerned. Ironically I type this after just recalibrating my laptops screen because it bugging me so much. 

Spoiler