Hydro Series™ H110 280mm

Spev

When researching some up to date coolers I noticed this from Linus: 

I'm so confused...I thought all liquid cooled CPUs and other liquid cooled parts have a reservoir? I'm looked up about 5 installation videos for some Corsair products....none of them connect to a reservoir. 

I'm confused...

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

The H110 is an AIO, it has a built in reservoir in the rad.

Because is a closed loop, you can't modify it.

You don't actually need one, their purpose is to hold excess water so the pump never runs dry. You can fill an entire loop up with liquid and seal it and not need a res.

Wow, thanks for the info guys. 

You don't actually need one, their purpose is to hold excess water so the pump never runs dry. You can fill an entire loop up with liquid and seal it and not need a res.

So does that mean that an AIO liquid cooler like the Corsair will ever need to have liquid replaced? Or since it's closed loop will it never run dry?

So my final question after learning this is, why do people building modern PCs even have a reservoir?

The H110 is an AIO, it has a built in reservoir in the rad.

Because is a closed loop, you can't modify it.

So the only reason you would ever want to buy a liquid cooler with a reservoir today is if you would want to have a huge liquid cooling system like liquid cooled GPU and liquid cooled ram? I am not interested in cooling GPU or ram with liquid...so if I am only interested in a CPU cooler an AIO would absolutely be the best option? It seems like it.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Wow, thanks for the info guys. 

So does that mean that an AIO liquid cooler like the Corsair will ever need to have liquid replaced? Or since it's closed loop will it never run dry? Pretty much.

So my final question after learning this is, why do people building modern PCs even have a reservoir?

So the only reason you would ever want to buy a liquid cooler with a reservoir today is if you would want to have a huge liquid cooling system like liquid cooled GPU and liquid cooled ram? I am not interested in cooling GPU or ram with liquid...so if I am only interested in a CPU cooler an AIO would absolutely be the best option? It seems like it.

Because do you want to fill a system with liquid and pop a tube on to a fitting, hoping you don't spill anything or would you rather be lazy and fill a res?