Audio Mixer what am I doing wrong Behringer Q502 USB

ShadowCaptain

So since my mmx300 headphones and mic were quiet I bought a Behringer Q502 USB amp with mic amp

I have connected it up to my PC and installed the drivers, I have my headphones working BEAUTIFULLY now...

however I am not getting sound... am I doing something wrong? I have my 3.5mm headphone jack plugged into an apapter and into the mix/line in, I have the gain up etc,  and I have line in selected on my PC, nothing happens

IMG_0740-1.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

snip

Waht do you mean you have "line in" selected? there should be a playback device with a name related to the audio interface. also your main mix is set to 0?

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

main mix is all the way down.

and you might need to play with both the gain and the level to find a sweet spot between hiss and a high enough volume.

and I think you want to plug the headphones into the computer or you will monitor the mic sounds.(unless you want to hear your own voice)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Line in on a "professional" mixer is use to connect Guitard or keyboards. Mic needs to be connected to the XLR plug. Do you have a mic lv on your headset? if you do, put the line lv on the mixer @ Unity(should be labled as a U or a 0 on the knob) and ajust your mic lv with your headset level. I notice that on your picture, the gain lv is a 12 o'clock and the output of the strip is maxed out. This is going to cause noise.

main mix is all the way down.

This should not affect the HeadPhone channel(unless mentioned in the manual). Usually Main and phone/ Ctrl room are on seperate output channels.

and I think you want to plug the headphones into the computer or you will monitor the mic sounds.(unless you want to hear your own voice)

True that, unless you have an option in your driver to disable the Direct output of your recording strip.

Line in on a "professional" mixer is use to connect Guitard or keyboards. Mic needs to be connected to the XLR plug. Do you have a mic lv on your headset? if you do, put the line lv on the mixer @ Unity(should be labled as a U or a 0 on the knob) and ajust your mic lv with your headset level. I notice that on your picture, the gain lv is a 12 o'clock and the output of the strip is maxed out. This is going to cause noise.

This should not affect the HeadPhone channel(unless mentioned in the manual). Usually Main and phone/ Ctrl room are on seperate output channels.

True that, unless you have an option in your driver to disable the Direct output of your recording strip.

I am currently not using an XLR microphone (yet...until I order my electrovoice re320) I was hoping this would also amplify the microphone on my mx300

If its the wrong product I need to return it as I need something that will run both XLR mics and normal 3.5mm jack microphones

Ignore where the dails are....I was just playing around with them the photo was just to show the cables I had connected

NOTE I just connected my headphones ONLY to the mixer (which works great) and my microphone to the PC, however the microphone is recording louder than before even though it is not running through the amp.......

confused.. dunno what to do

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If its the wrong product I need to return it as I need something that will run both XLR mics and normal 3.5mm jack microphones

not possible. if you want to learn more about types of mics go there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

I'm still wondering why you want a mixer if you are using your headset as headphone and mic. Unless you want to use an xlr mic, I don't think it is a good product for you. If in the future you want to use an xlr mic for some reason, you should keep it.

the only difference between the xlr and the 1/4" jack is the amount of gain available.

it will work as an input, I was using a 1/4" mic on my 802 just fine.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

not possible. if you want to learn more about types of mics go there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

I'm still wondering why you want a mixer if you are using your headset as headphone and mic. Unless you want to use an xlr mic, I don't think it is a good product for you. If in the future you want to use an xlr mic for some reason, you should keep it.

I didnt want a mixer, mostly I wanted a mic amp, this happened to do that as it has a mic amp inside because the microphone on my MMX300 headset is too quiet, I have to apply a 20db boost in windows just so people can here me .... which seems ridiculous!!! so I figured it might need amplification

I plan on getting an re320 though reviews of this product says it does not provide very strong phantom power so wont drive all mics

Is there a better product you can recommend? I can happily return this and order something else no problem (has to be avaialble in the UK)

the only difference between the xlr and the 1/4" jack is the amount of gain available

it will work as an input, I was using a 1/4" mic on my 802 just fine.

Interesting, I wonder why I cannot get mine to work, 

I plan on getting an re320 though reviews of this product says it does not provide very strong phantom power so wont drive all mics

Phantom power is 48v for condenser mics. It cannot be strong or weak. If 48v goes the rest will follow.

Is there a better product you can recommend? I can happily return this and order something else no problem (has to be avaialble in the UK)

You have several choises. I would go for an external USB sound Card with 1 or 2 mic pres(because most of them have more than 1 mic pres). They are small, not very expensive, you can use them as an audio interface in windows and it will most likely improve the audio quality(if you hear the difference).

Here are my suggestions. I have work with most of these audio interfaces, they are good value, very stable for the price and easy to use/configure. This is on sweetwater.com and are about the same price as the mixer you bought.

Presonus:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB

Focusrite:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

Steinberg:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22

I chose those 3 companies for their good quality product, amazing tech and rma support and because I've been using their products for several years now and they are extremely reliable.

Hope that helped.

You just want mic audio to play back through the headphones, right? Have you checked software settings for that feature?

You just want mic audio to play back through the headphones, right? Have you checked software settings for that feature?

Well that is one factor, but the problem is the mic level on the headset is quite low, I have to apply 10 to 20db boost in windows so that the levels come out audible when in comms

So basically I wanted to boost the mic output from the 3.5mm jack mic  - This mixer includes a microphone amp which I thought worked with the 1/4" line in (I have an adapter on my mic jack)  - but I get no output at all, 

From reviews, the mic sounded really good, and it still sounds decent, enough for a quick recording, and much easier when playing with friends than having my whole mic set up

HOWEVER.. if I am barking up the wrong tree, I will return the headset, and order the RE320 (unless there is a better mic out there for voice with exceptional external noise reduction)

Well that is one factor, but the problem is the mic level on the headset is quite low, I have to apply 10 to 20db boost in windows so that the levels come out audible when in comms

So basically I wanted to boost the mic output from the 3.5mm jack mic  - This mixer includes a microphone amp which I thought worked with the 1/4" line in (I have an adapter on my mic jack)  - but I get no output at all, 

From reviews, the mic sounded really good, and it still sounds decent, enough for a quick recording, and much easier when playing with friends than having my whole mic set up

HOWEVER.. if I am barking up the wrong tree, I will return the headset, and order the RE320 (unless there is a better mic out there for voice with exceptional external noise reduction)

I think what the problem is, is that a line level input is anywhere from 150mv-450mv and a microphone is 20mv+ so the sensitivity is quite low and that is why you have to apply 10-20db boost in windows to get even noticable sound.

The XLR input is preamplified for a mic however to amplify it to line level where as the line in is for something like a ipod or phone or cd player. The Behringer 302usb (the lower end model) has a headset mic input.

So if you can return the 502usb to get the 302usb thats what I would do.

post-4616-0-46593000-1415272822_thumb.pn

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I think what the problem is, is that a line level input is anywhere from 150mv-450mv and a microphone is 20mv+ so the sensitivity is quite low and that is why you have to apply 10-20db boost in windows to get even noticable sound.

The XLR input is preamplified for a mic however to amplify it to line level where as the line in is for something like a ipod or phone or cd player. The Behringer 302usb (the lower end model) has a headset mic input.

So if you can return the 502usb to get the 302usb thats what I would do.

Ah yeah I can return it and swap it for the 302, thanks for the info!!!!

Ah yeah I can return it and swap it for the 302, thanks for the info!!!!

Even if the jack I circled doesn't work you could get a 1/8" to 1/4" jack and plug it into the mic jack and amplify it on the 302usb as it is a XLR/ 1/4" combo jack.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

Even if the jack I circled doesn't work you could get a 1/8" to 1/4" jack and plug it into the mic jack and amplify it on the 302usb as it is a XLR/ 1/4" combo jack.

Ah thats a really neat feature!

This hopefully means I can run my headset and switch to my future XLR mic when it comes, the mic I hope to get does not need phantom power just a preamp so this should run it nicely and its only like £35!!!

I don't quite see what using the mixer was going to do? A mixer is designed predominantly to join and alter inbound signals from input devices and send them to a master out. What you're looking for is a headphone amp or audio interface. Have a look at the cheaper Presonus units as they would be probably your best bet.

I don't quite see what using the mixer was going to do? A mixer is designed predominantly to join and alter inbound signals from input devices and send them to a master out. What you're looking for is a headphone amp or audio interface. Have a look at the cheaper Presonus units as they would be probably your best bet.

Yeah I want an amp/audio interface, this does that too any only costs £35 the cheapest presonus interface I can find is like £70 and does not have 3.5mm jacks

This £35 device seems to do all of it in one package

It can run 3.5mm headphones, 3.5mm microphone 1/4" microphones AND XLR mics all over a simple USB interface

the cheapest presonus interface I can find is like £70 and does not have 3.5mm jacks

FYI, those kinds of interfaces usually use combo jacks - the quarter inch jack is in the center, the 3 XLR pins go around it.

092-045_HR_0.jpg

Still, the behringer mixer should have done what you need without issue, so I'm at a loss.

part of me is wondering if the USB or the compressor is throwing something off.

I don't have either and just use 2-track out to line in on my onboard.

FYI, those kinds of interfaces usually use combo jacks - the quarter inch jack is in the center, the 3 XLR pins go around it.

Still, the behringer mixer should have done what you need without issue, so I'm at a loss.

AHH I see, thats a helpful tip!

Yeah I thought so too, perhaps the line in was broken, well its being swapped out for a model that has a 3.5mm mic input so lets see if this unit works better!

AHH I see, thats a helpful tip!

Yeah I thought so too, perhaps the line in was broken, well its being swapped out for a model that has a 3.5mm mic input so lets see if this unit works better!

I just bought the 302usb and have been using it for about a day and there is one thing you need to do when you get it. In windows audio control panel you have to change it to stereo as it defaults to mono otherwise.

Also first thoughts on this product is that it is dead silent and it sounds great. 

I use it to record my shure PG48 mic and mix my computer and turntable.

I just bought the 302usb and have been using it for about a day and there is one thing you need to do when you get it. In windows audio control panel you have to change it to stereo as it defaults to mono otherwise.

Also first thoughts on this product is that it is dead silent and it sounds great. 

I use it to record my shure PG48 mic and mix my computer and turntable.

I got a text an hour ago that is has arrived at my house!

Ah brilliant, its a product I basically have bought blind as there is very little feedback on it glad its doing a good job for you!

Hopefully in a few weeks I can order my new XLR dynamic mic.. whichever I decide to choose :)

@h3ll0

its amazing :) £35.. and it works perfecty

Did nearly deafen myself but otherwise.. awesome

• 9 months later...
Hi all,

Just joined up so sorry if I will make any mistakes and sorry for highjacking this topic, but I felt it made no sense to start a new one. Also please forgive typos, language errors.

I just bought a Behringer 502 USB mixer and a Rode M1-S dynamic mic.

Went with this setup because I wanted a microphone that can pick up voice clearly but without room (house) noise. This is meant for YouTube and Twitch.

Ok then, my questions are related mostly to how to best set up this package to get a good volume for my voice while not introducing (internal/technological) background noise. You know what I am referring to, hisses, hums, static like noise. (sorry, English is not my first language and audio tech is not my field).

Ok so here we go and THANK YOU in advance for your help guys!

1) Plug this in via USB 2.0 or 3.0? I have a GA-990FXA-UD3 from Gigabyte (motherboard) and the 2.0 usb ports are marked as 3x powered which leads me to believe that they should act as a powered usb hub would.

2) any advantage from using a powered usb hub in regards to reducing noise and getting a cleaner sound?

3) Which settings on the mixer are for boosting volume/signal? would those be GAIN, LEVEL and MAIN MIX? 

4) Does the "to main mix" button have to be pressed down for the mixer settings to apply to the mic? 

5) Does the EQ influence the noise? (read somewhere that the EQ for HIGH is set to be well too high, it can introduce noise)

6) What would be the best balance between the mixer volume/gain settings and the one from windows for the mic? Do you recommend balancing them out or prioritising the mixer settings + lowering the windows settings to as low as possible OR the other way around (mixer to low and windows to high) ?

Overall I wanted to get something like what JayzTwoCents has here:

or what Steven Johnson has here:

and here:

but they seem to get better volume than I can. Which leaves me really confused.

And not having knoweldge on mixers, the 502's settings are a bit confusing overall with the manual being...not great for beginners :)

What I don't want to have is the hiss that this guy in the video below has (check out the video @ 9:55 for a quiet moment where you can hear the hiss).

Thanks for reading this!

SNIP

I actually ended up changing mine to a different model and have not bought an XLR mic  (YET) so I am not sure of an answer

You should probably copy and paste this and make a new thread because not many people are going to see this

AS far as what settings/gain etc to use it 100% depends on the microphone and your proximity to it, I would try get as close as you can and use the lowest gain possible -  will help cut out background noise the lower the gain

It does not need much power so any USB port should work fine, its only a USB 2 device so it wont make much difference, it should filter the power either way so more power wont do much good/bad