Fibre internet and YouTube 1080p

sof006

Okay so I am rather confused right now and cannot figure this out.

Anything past 720p on YouTube will not load without stuttering or buffering. I have tested this on my PC, Mac and ASUS laptop all of which are more than powerful enough to do at least 1080p with my desktop being able to do 4K no issues.

I know it isn't my router as I have tested another VDSL2 based router on the line and it does exactly the same thing, stutters/buffers.

Only devices that don't have any issues are mobile devices, such as the iPad and numerous other phones that all use the YouTube app. What gives? I also tried other browsers... Firefox, Chrome... heck even Safari hates it.

PC's don't work but mobile devices do?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Okay so I am rather confused right now and cannot figure this out.

Anything past 720p on YouTube will not load without stuttering or buffering. I have tested this on my PC, Mac and ASUS laptop all of which are more than powerful enough to do at least 1080p with my desktop being able to do 4K no issues.

I know it isn't my router as I have tested another VDSL2 based router on the line and it does exactly the same thing, stutters/buffers.

Only devices that don't have any issues are mobile devices, such as the iPad and numerous other phones that all use the YouTube app. What gives? I also tried other browsers... Firefox, Chrome... heck even Safari hates it.

PC's don't work but mobile devices do?

Whats your internet speed, provider, are your pcs wired or wifi, how far away. what type of router and pcs if wifi g?n?ac?

Using Firefox?

Youtubes new implementation changes have had some bugs.

I cannot use FF to watch 720p/1080p at the moment. Since they enabled the 60fps (even on 30fps video's) I get the NULL Video Decoder

Flash is updated, so are browsers and drivers after coming across this weird issue.

Using Chrome for the meantime.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Whats your internet speed, provider, are your pcs wired or wifi, how far away. what type of router and pcs if wifi g?n?ac?

I get 80Mb down and 20Mb up, I am with EE Broadband, I have tried both wired via gigabit and wireless over wireless AC. Its a netgear R6250, I even tested the router the ISP provided me. Same outcome... :S

System Specs:

I get 80Mb down and 20Mb up, I am with EE Broadband, I have tried both wired via gigabit and wireless over wireless AC. Its a netgear R6250, I even tested the router the ISP provided me. Same outcome... :S

just checking but you did try rebooting? resting history, updating flash, and the browsers right?

vdsl is not fiber also what is your internet speed on speedtest.net ?

3872129350.png

just checking but you did try rebooting? resting history, updating flash, and the browsers right?

Yes, reseting history? Like clearing cache? If so then no actually. Updating flash... also no but I am using latest version of Chrome... Maybe try beta?

System Specs:

3872129350.png

Yes, reseting history? Like clearing cache? If so then no actually. Updating flash... also no but I am using latest version of Chrome... Maybe try beta?

maybe. try 64 bit too.

maybe. try 64 bit too.

It seems to improve it, 1080p now loads... which is a start. 4K is still struggling, something I might try is looking for new wireless drivers.

System Specs:

maybe. try 64 bit too.

Okay, I figured it out. Its HTML5's fault. It just doesn't work for some reason. Disabled it by installing an extension and defaults to flash. Now 1080p loads, obviously 4K is missing. Wow. 

System Specs:

YouTube uses two technologies to stream videos to its users. Either by making use of Adobe Flash, or HTML5 Video, with the latter option marked as experimental for some time now.

Provided that you have a HTML5 capable browser, you can join the HTML5 trial on YouTube to use this technology on the site. The core benefit here is that you do not have to install or use Adobe Flash Player at all.

To do so, load this page on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/html5 and click on the join button on it.

If you have not visited that page for a while, you may notice that Google has added three new bits of information to it. The page not only informs you if your browser supports HTML5 Video, H.264 and WebM VP8, but also if it supports Media Source Extensions.

If you open that page in Firefox, Safari or older browser versions, then you will notice that the browser's don't support it.

REASONS - Google recently switched to adaptive streaming on YouTube for 480p and 1080p videos by using Media Source Extensions. Since Firefox does not support that feature yet, the option to switch to streams that make use of it becomes unavailable in the browser.

web-browser-media-source-extensions.png

Other browsers may be affected but I myself only use Firefox - Disable HTML5, use Native Flash

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz