Quiet microphone (beyer mmx300)

ShadowCaptain

So... I took the plunge and ordered my beyerdynamics MMX300 headset

I love it to pieces its so comfy (expect a review) 

However, while my motherboard does not seem to have trouble running the headphones (msi z87 g45) the microphone is really quiet, currently in windows i Have recording volume at 100%, but over razer comms nobody can hear me, I have to run a 20db boost just so that I sound at a normal volume level

I know you can get headphone dac/amps but what about the microphone?

Any ideas? Is their a suitable amp/dac / soundcard I should get to run these with the best audio

(the headphones are still relatively quiet though they run just fine, not as loud as my sennheiser momentums though)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So... I took the plunge and ordered my beyerdynamics MMX300 headset

I love it to pieces its so comfy (expect a review) 

However, while my motherboard does not seem to have trouble running the headphones (msi z87 g45) the microphone is really quiet, currently in windows i Have recording volume at 100%, but over razer comms nobody can hear me, I have to run a 20db boost just so that I sound at a normal volume level

I know you can get headphone dac/amps but what about the microphone?

Any ideas? Is their a suitable amp/dac / soundcard I should get to run these with the best audio

(the headphones are still relatively quiet though they run just fine, not as loud as my sennheiser momentums though)

I haven't looked but do windows still have that microphone boost tick box anywhere? 

Well as it so happens I have had the same issues myself (had my MMX 300s of the a couple of months now). For me I sometimes have the issue with it being far too quiet and sometimes the issue of it just producing the most high pitched sound imaginable. For me the good old restart the computer and pray has always worked even though it comes back now and then.

On another note: Can't wait to compare you review to my own experiences and review :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Don't you ever get a sound card. DAC's are way more superior to sound cards.

What software are you using with your microphone?

Also, good choice on the beyer headphones. Amazing company.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

Well as it so happens I have had the same issues myself (had my MMX 300s of the a couple of months now). For me I sometimes have the issue with it being far too quiet and sometimes the issue of it just producing the most high pitched sound imaginable. For me the good old restart the computer and pray has always worked even though it comes back now and then.

On another note: Can't wait to compare you review to my own experiences and review :)

Review will come soon, not enough experience to comment yet, hmm I am not having that issue at all, sound quality all seems perfectly fine, its just the audio levels I am concerned with

I haven't looked but do windows still have that microphone boost tick box anywhere? 

I am using that, it is at 20db boost, but the problem is it introduces hiss and noise into the sound, which is otherwise very clean

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't you ever get a sound card. DAC's are way more superior to sound cards.

What software are you using with your microphone?

Also, good choice on the beyer headphones. Amazing company.

DACS are but I as long as whatever I buy runs the devicce I dont care what it is 

for recording I use Sound Forge, Adobe Audition or audacity (depending on what computer I use)

I also use Razer Comms and Skype for voice clients (these are the main issue as In editing I can up the audio, but not in live chats)

DACS are but I as long as whatever I buy runs the devicce I dont care what it is 

for recording I use Sound Forge, Adobe Audition or audacity (depending on what computer I use)

I also use Razer Comms and Skype for voice clients (these are the main issue as In editing I can up the audio, but not in live chats)

Have You tried to set the microphone pickup volume a little higher? You can do This in a skype call, but i don't know about Razer Comms

I do have a soundcard and I still have to use boost. I don't have an mmx 300 though.

Maybe we just talk quietly.

But I'm more interested in how you got comms working. I'd love to use it for the call quality but the POS refuses to work.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Have You tried to set the microphone pickup volume a little higher? You can do This in a skype call, but i don't know about Razer Comms

It is set at 100% in skype, comms and windows, I even had to apply microphone boost just so people can hear me

Just to add, this doesnt happen on any other headset I own

I do have a soundcard and I still have to use boost. I don't have an mmx 300 though.

Maybe we just talk quietly.

But I'm more interested in how you got comms working. I'd love to use it for the call quality but the POS refuses to work.

me and all my friends use it, works fine, even the overlay works great

Is the mic close enough to your mouth? Like within an inchh?