Ultimate Photoshop / Lightroom workstation

tensai
Go to solution Solved by TheFlyingSquirrel,

Thank you

I have reconsidered, new plan is going with something more reasonable and kicking ramdisk out the window

new one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k48KkL

16gb of ram, for now. If i see it approaching its limits i'm buying more. 

As for the gpu, i agree it would be ok, but the gamer in me is asking for the upgrade from 760 to 970. 

One more question:

If i get another 840 pro 128gb(already have one), will TRIM work in raid 0? 

Yes it is supported on z97 Intel CPU MOBOs

Could you elaborate on the cache problems? Cause if ramdisk is out then I'm all for 4790k and saving quite a bit of money

The whole point of a scratchdisk which is exactly what the ramdisk will be used for is to store information once RAM is full, even with raws from the 5D mark II and 60 states, I hit around 5GB in memory usage.  

A Ramdisk would take away from the RAM that Photoshop would need to store the states.  In short a Ramdisk would actually take away from overall performance.    

Finally, CUDA benchmarks, there is a diminishing return after a certain point due to the level of parallelism in most graphic algorithms. 

The performance gains with CUDA core IS NOT LINEAR

For Photoshop you could actually use a GTX 760 as 1152 CUDA cores and its fast memory bandwidth is plenty.  

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

To be perfectly honest you will never need more than 32 GB of RAM, I maxed out at about 13GB on one intensive piece of work.

Also if you are keeping your working file on an SSD it will make the RAMDisk obsolete due to cache speeds. 

2011 or 1150 builds are much better value when it comes to photoshop.  

actually it depends on ts though.

my 64gb ram on my work rig is almost maxed with 50-58 gb being on load :)

@ts

I'm liking build for this kinda stuff but hey I think the 780 ti for the price (depends if you value it) has more cuda cores.

Live your life like a dream.

actually it depends on ts though.

my 64gb ram on my work rig is almost maxed with 50-58 gb being on load :)

@ts

I'm liking build for this kinda stuff but hey I think the 780 ti for the price (depends if you value it) has more cuda cores.

He isn't rendering, he is talking Photoshop and Lightroom. 

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

He isn't rendering, he is talking Photoshop and Lightroom. 

yep but I did say it also depends on the user and if he either wants 64gb or not :)

Live your life like a dream.

The whole point of a scratchdisk which is exactly what the ramdisk will be used for is to store information once RAM is full, even with raws from the 5D mark II and 60 states, I hit around 5GB in memory usage.  

A Ramdisk would take away from the RAM that Photoshop would need to store the states.  In short a Ramdisk would actually take away from overall performance.    

Finally, CUDA benchmarks, there is a diminishing return after a certain point due to the level of parallelism in most graphic algorithms. 

The performance gains with CUDA core IS NOT LINEAR

For Photoshop you could actually use a GTX 760 as 1152 CUDA cores and its fast memory bandwidth is plenty.  

Thank you

I have reconsidered, new plan is going with something more reasonable and kicking ramdisk out the window

As for the gpu, i agree it would be ok, but the gamer in me is asking for the upgrade from 760 to 970. 

One more question:

Thank you

One more question:

Well sir! you have saved the day! 

I already bought a new case and transferred my components, so now its just waiting on gathering enough money for the upgrade. 

After moving from the ancient NZXT Zero to the Fractal design define R4(Black pearl) please allow me to point out the obvious. Building a pc in modern cases is just a breeze! I've used corsair carbide and obsidian cases in the recent past but my personal rig where i've spent most my time was the NZXT Zero even thought it was a great case for its time, there is just no way for it to compete with modern cases. 

Edit:

some modifications might have been made to my case over the years.

I find it amazing how much we have moved from modding our cases for functionality (cpu cutout, cable holes etc) to modding them for looks

XCK4JaA.jpg

Photoshop and Lightroom aren't CPU intensive enough to justify an X99 build. you can save a good amount of money with a 4790k and DDR3 ram. Will you be gaming at all with this build?

vT is always right :D

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out i have another question. I originally opted for the 2400 memory in hopes of better performance for photoshop and the ramdisk.

Since this is mostly a productivity build (and most, if not all benchmarks are related to gaming) and now that the ramdisk is out the window, does anyone have any good resources on how memory speed affects the CC suite?

2400 vs 1866 ?

*Price and availability have turned out to be a problem in Greece. (for the memory and cpu cooler) 

Edit: After further investigation it seems that lightroom does not use any kind of GPU acceleration, so turns out the 970 is probably out the window for now. going to wait for something like the 960, in hopes for a better value