New build, I'd like your opinion!

Auklin

I'm very happy you all do this type of thing for people who are new to hardware, can't wait to get away from consoles.

I'm making my new build, here is what I plan to use it for:

- gaming (aiming for 60+ fps on all modern games at 1x1080p [for now])

- basic video editing

- relatively heavy audio editing (professional audio recording)

- basic other use

Whats my budget? Meh, about $2000 after taxes, give or take 200$ if the benefit is worth it.

I've been using pc part picker but I'm aware it isn't perfect, I plan on ordering my new rig THIS UPCOMING WEEK (June 9th - 16th), 

Here is what I have through pcpartpicker, but I will definitely give a hard look on all the weekly deals from all websites before I order.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Auklin/saved/1IEx

------

I am pretty much clueless about mobo's, so do let me know your opinion.

Anyone ever use that mouse before? I sampled it at Futureshop and LOVED the feel, fit my hand perfectly, sadly there is very few reviews of this thing in English.

Is the cpu a good pick? should I go for a 4770? 

I really can't wait to hear what you guys say, I'm pretty excited for this new rig.

- James

When are you buying?

And your planned build is insanely overkill for your purposes.

When are you buying?

And your planned build is insanely overkill for your purposes.

Read his post..... He says when he is planning on building.

I saw that.  There's a difference between planning and the actual purchase.  If he wants to wait for next week when NCIX shuffles it's deals, it would be a good time to buy then.

What you have picked out so far is perfect for what you are looking for. How ever I do have to point out that you should save ht emoney and go with 1600mhz RAM because you will seriously not notice a difference between 1866mhz and 1600mhz. Also I would grab a MSI z87 g45 gaming motherboard as it is a wayyyyy better board than that Asus.

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX  LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($63.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($139.32 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($399.79 @ DirectCanada) 
Case:  Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Other: Asus GX900 Mouse (NCIX) ($46.89)
Other: Logitech G13 (NCIX) ($69.99)
Total: $1498.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-06 20:12 EDT-0400)

You won't notice a difference between 1600MHz and 1866MHz RAM, nor will you with a 780 vs a 770.

The XFX PSU are OEM SeaSonic (top of the line X Series), and are great.

The MSI board is better than that ASUS one.

Caviar Black drives are faster.

If your going to be doing video and music editing, you may want to consider an i7.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This is my suggestion 

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/13LLK

The sound card is because you said you do allot of audio work, so an excellent sound card is better then onboard audio. 

If he's doing audio work, audio interfaces are DACs, you cant record without one.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Here you go: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/13LQ2

The xeon is basically a 3770 but 0.1ghz slower with 0.2ghz less turbo and much cheaper. It's quite fast and won't bottleneck your parts. It has the hyper threading that will come in use for editing.

I picked a z77 board since the b75 boards were the same price. You could overclock the xeon a bit although it's not recommended. It's not like you need it.

16gigs of ram for editing. 8gigs is the bare minimum for your uses.

Samsung 840 for boot/applications. 840 pro for editing scratch disk.

2TB barracuda for storage. 1TB seems low.

Stuck with 780. I picked one with slightly higher speed since it was only $15 more.

Asus sound card for audio editng.

Are you sure about a full atx case? They're pretty big.

The 850w you chose is overkill A good bronze 750w is more than enough for for a gtx 780 sli.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Since you double threaded this, and the other thread will likely be deleted, I am going to post my posts on that thread here.

If you're going to edit professional audio, I would highly suggest getting a high quality dedicated sound card. An ASUS Xonar Essence STX for high quality stereo/simulated 7.1, or an ASUS Xonar Phoebus for high quality, precise, true 7.1 audio. Also, do not use the front audio I/O ports on the case. I wouldn't even connect the header to the soundcard. Just don't do it for the sake of audio quality.

I would also suggest you wait for the ASUS Maximus VI Formula, and get a custom loop going. Get a waterblock for the 780 and a customizable AIC such as the XSPC H20 720 RS240 kit, or Swiftech H220, along with tubings, fittings, etc. and soon, you'll have the CPU, GPU, and motherboard VRM liquid cooled. Also, the ASUS Maximus VI Formula is a 2013 board with SupremeFX, meaning that if paired with the Xonar Phoebus, you will be able to use Sonic Radar, which can be part of the HUD in games that allows you to see where the sound is coming from. The ASUS Maximus VI Formula is not out yet, but will be soon (a month or two at the latest).

http://www.anandtech...gaming-software

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler:  Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory:  G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($149.79 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($139.32 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($98.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  ($668.11 @ TigerDirect Canada) 
Sound Card:  Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card  ($194.77 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply:  Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($184.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $1938.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-06 20:40 EDT-0400)

Add about $150-300 for motherboard of choice. I suggest waiting for the Maximus VI Formula.

I have NO idea how that got double threaded, I must have not been paying attention. whoever moderates, please feel free to delete the other one o_O

I'll attempt to respond to everyone:

What he said. I'm ordering it (purchasing it) and building in next week.

Will there be SLI in your future?

I wouldn't plan on it if I go with the 780, unless it magically drops below 250 in 4 years or it shows up in a yard sale aha

What you have picked out so far is perfect for what you are looking for. How ever I do have to point out that you should save ht emoney and go with 1600mhz RAM because you will seriously not notice a difference between 1866mhz and 1600mhz. Also I would grab a MSI z87 g45 gaming motherboard as it is a wayyyyy better board than that Asus.

Definitely taken into consideration ^

This will work for you.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/13LGh

That is quite the overhaul, very different build, but I do appreciate your contribution.

"PC part ppicker suggestion"

1)You won't notice a difference between 1600MHz and 1866MHz RAM, nor will you with a 780 vs a 770.

2)The XFX PSU are OEM SeaSonic (top of the line X Series), and are great.

3)The MSI board is better than that ASUS one.

4)Caviar Black drives are faster.

If your going to be doing video and music editing, you may want to consider an i7.

1) Got it

2) interesting, can you explain?

3) I believe ya

4) yes, but my SSD is where I will be holding my 'latest' game, the HDD is just for storage and other, less demanding games, I'm not too worried about the HDD's speed, as long as its workable and 'good'.

----------------------------

All the sound card people:

Thanks for the suggestion, I have a few audio interfaces that plug in via USB (GR-55 is great for that too), I'll definitely keep my eye out for that if I find the audio isn't up to par with what I want, I'll consider it an upgrade.

-------------------------

I would also suggest you wait for the ASUS Maximus VI Formula, and get a custom loop going. Get a waterblock for the 780 and a customizable AIC such as the XSPC H20 720 RS240 kit, or Swiftech H220, along with tubings, fittings, etc. and soon, you'll have the CPU, GPU, and motherboard VRM liquid cooled. Also, the ASUS Maximus VI Formula is a 2013 board with SupremeFX, meaning that if paired with the Xonar Phoebus, you will be able to use Sonic Radar, which can be part of the HUD in games that allows you to see where the sound is coming from. The ASUS Maximus VI Formula is not out yet, but will be soon (a month or two at the latest).

That actually took me three reads to understand. 

That is very... complicated, but a very interesting point for me in the future, but very expensive as well. I'm no where near 'short' on money, but I also don't want to go INSANE on my pc, I do have other hobbies and obligations outside the computer.

----------------------

Thanks again everyone.

So, again, regarding my budget of 2000$, should I disregard the 780 for a 770 and upgrade something else? Good performance gaming is a strong reason I am building this PC, let me know.

I'd say I want to 'future-proof' my pc, but I know that's not really correct lingo. Even if, that's why I am getting a large case and a pretty good PSU, 

Thanks again for everyone's help

2) interesting, can you explain?

So, again, regarding my budget of 2000$, should I disregard the 780 for a 770 and upgrade something else? Good performance gaming is a strong reason I am building this PC, let me know.

I'd say I want to 'future-proof' my pc, but I know that's not really correct lingo. Even if, that's why I am getting a large case and a pretty good PSU, 

XFX themselves don't actually make psus. Seasonic manufactures them and XFX puts a label on it. It's like what corsair does. They slap labels on other oem psus.

The 780 is a good card, go for it. It will be playing games at high settings for quite a while. 

A 750w psu will be overkill if you're not going to sli. It is quite cheap and it will do.

The 850w is seriously overkill even for "future-proofing". There's a trend of parts using less and less power. 

A 650/750w bronze will be good for quite a while.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For the PSU thing, SeaSonic is a top manufacturer of PSUs, and their X Series are some of the best out their. XFX doesn't make PSUs they just rebrand them (like most PSU manufacturers).

They have a hybrid fan (so it's only on under load), are fully modular, and are 80 Plus Gold.

15" MBP TB

XFX themselves don't actually make psus. Seasonic manufactures them and XFX puts a label on it. It's like what corsair does. They slap labels on other oem psus.

The 780 is a good card, go for it. It will be playing games at high settings for quite a while. 

A 750w psu will be overkill if you're not going to sli. It is quite cheap and it will do.

The 850w is seriously overkill even for "future-proofing". There's a trend of parts using less and less power. 

A 650/750w bronze will be good for quite a while.

While the 780 is a great card, it's overkill for mostly everything. And although 750w won't be used, he won't have to worry about adding new stuff, since his build will use around 500w.

15" MBP TB

While the 780 is a great card, it's overkill for mostly everything. And although 750w won't be used, he won't have to worry about adding new stuff, since his build will use around 500w.

Overkill is better than no kill. The next card down from the 780 price/performance-wise would be the 670. The prices are dropping faster than my pants at a TechTips livestream. 

Overkill is better than no kill. The next card down from the 780 price/performance-wise would be the 670. The prices are dropping faster than my pants at a TechTips livestream. 

Buying what you actually need is better.

I was not aware he was not going to SLI, which is why I had suggested the 860W. Save some money and get a lower wattage power supply. just make sure the PSU is made by a reliable OEM, not brand, has great reviews, efficiency (80 PLUS gold and above for this budget), and durability.

Buying what you actually need is better.

I'm making my new build, here is what I plan to use it for:

- gaming (aiming for 60+ fps on all modern games at 1x1080p [for now])

- basic video editing

- James

It seems like he's going to need a powerful-ish card.

Still the biggest bang for your buck over everything else that's been posted here.

Ok, you posted tek, you got my attention.

Does this justify NOT getting the new gen Haswell's though? this would require me to change my mobo to a z77 right? I'm definitely listening though.

-----------------------

Blade of Grass and Wooden Marker

Ok, I'm sold, I'll get the Seasonic 650W 80 Gold one (ATX12v / EPS12V) 

----------------

I think I have all the updates in here:

minus this new AMD thing I'm being introduced to right now.

Also, that RAM is only 4$ more than the 1600 counterpart, all 8gigs of 'good' RAM appear to be within $70 - $80, so not a HUGE deal for me

-----------------------

Blade of Grass and Wooden Marker

Ok, I'm sold, I'll get the Seasonic 650W 80 Gold one (ATX12v / EPS12V) 

----------------

I think I have all the updates in here:

It's seems more like a gaming build more than anything else.

Edit: Also, a bronze psu will be plenty. No need to spend more money on a gold.

It's seems more like a gaming build more than anything else.

Ya it kinda turned into that, I think most people suggesting things on here are probably gamers. When I'm talking about doing basic video editing, I'm talking very basic. As for the sound recording, I have some pretty good recording equipment in my possession, so it's not all about direct recordings into my computer, a big portion would just be data transfer via USB.

I was interested in target's opinion though, my problem is that I don't want to spend the coin to go into those kind of peripherals that would capitalize on those features. Maybe in the future.

The best PC I have at my disposal right now is my Dell inspiron N7110, which I somehow manage to get to do everything I want it to (even run Skyrim with 50 mods), basic mixcraft (FL was kinda choppy), Photoshop and a bunch of other applications.

This is what I want to have for my powerful, home computer that I can game on a lot better than my laptop ahaha, and serve as a good audio station. I shouldn't have said professional on the first page, I don't make CD quality music or anything like that, but I do record guitar, and I'm looking for something 'better' than my laptop.

EDIT: I read that again and it kinda came off with a bad taste. I am a pretty serious gamer, have been my whole life, I'm not a complete idiot with computers, I just always managed to 'push' the PC's my parents would buy for our home PC's (I'm only 19, in a local university, so yes I still live at home). I only recently started to despise consoles and noticed where the good guys were. I do a lot of differrent things with my computers, and I'm looking to build one that is an 'excellent' gaming rig, with rounded other features and possibly room to upgrade in terms of audio, I hope that makes more sense.